Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Where can I find the OSX 10.6.8. update "Mac App store update 1.0"? I'm performing further updates from the Mac Pro supplied installation DVDs (OSX 10.6.4) and like to keep the updates for later, but this particular update I can't find from the Apple websites (and there's no option for "install and keep file" in the OSX Software Updater although I'm sure I've done that in the past some way or another...).

Also, does anyone know why "Airport Utility 5.6.1" is disabled and marked as "Zero KB" in the Software updater? See attached screenshot for this and the abovementioned update.

Attachments

• can't find Mac app store update.png
    can't find Mac app store update.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 406

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Where can I find the OSX 10.6.8. update "Mac App store update 1.0"? I'm performing further updates from the Mac Pro supplied installation DVDs (OSX 10.6.4) and like to keep the updates for later, but this particular update I can't find from the Apple websites (and there's no option for "install and keep file" in the OSX Software Updater although I'm sure I've done that in the past some way or another...).

Also, does anyone know why "Airport Utility 5.6.1" is disabled and marked as "Zero KB" in the Software updater? See attached screenshot for this and the abovementioned update.

10.6.8 combo update: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Are you sure?
That's the first update I ran after having installed 10.6.4 from the DVDs. Here are the OSX updates I've installed, in the numbered order:

1. MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg
2. SecUpd2013-004.dmg
3. AppleSoftwareInstallerUpdate.dmg
4. Safari5.1.10SnowLeopardManual.dmg
5. SnowLeoMigrationAsst.dmg
6. ARDClient3.5.4.dmg
7. JavaForMacOSX10.6update17.dmg
8. iTunes

The screenshot was taken after installing all of this.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks for the link, but why do you suppose the "enable/disable" box left for that update is disabled? I certainly do have Wi-fi capabilities on my mid-2010 Mac Pro.

I'm sure I learnt a way to install and keep software updates a few years back, but I can't remember how. I believe there was an option somewhere, but can't seem to find that anywhere now. Anyone know how it's done?

UPDATE: I must have thought about pre-Snow Leopard because I just read that they removed the "install & keep" feature after OSX 10.5. But I stumbled across something interesting...
Someone made an OSX service which installs and keeps updates (it doesn't appear to work in OSX 10.9 Mavericks as I tried that).

In OSX 10.6 you just access any app's Services menu (I went to the Finder's Finder-Services-Software Update Download menu, but any app's Service menu should do) which started OSX's Software Update, installed the update, then presented you with the installers inside sub-folders residing in a new ~/Updates/ folder.

NOTE: the script didn't work by putting it in ~/Library/Services/ (as the docs said) but appeared in all Service menus when I had placed the script inside /System/Library/Services/.
I accessed it from the Finder-Services menu but I suppose any app would do.

So now I have the "Mac App store update" file, although for some reason it came as two files:

031-3751.English.dist (6 KB)
AppStoreUpdate.pkg (3.4 MB)

They both presented with with the installer, but "031-3751.English.dist" told me it needed less space than the "AppstoreUpdate.pkg" for the update (see attached screenshots). Apparently you don't get the single .dmg file which a normal download would give you, so this is a bit confusing.

Attachments

• AppStoreUpdate updater.png
    AppStoreUpdate updater.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 031-3751.English updater.png
    031-3751.English updater.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.