Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tammyinkansas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I live in Wichita, Kansas.
I have an imac Intel 1.83 GHz 17" Core Duo x86 architecture. I bought it from a friend and it came with no disks. It originally had Leopard on it 3 years ago, then I bought the white Mac os x snow leopard install dvd- cost around $30- and upgraded it to Snow Leopard. No problems whatsoever until the other day when I did a dumb thing. My computer had been hanging up, freezing alot so I thought maybe it would help to just reinstall and start fresh. I have an external hard drive that I plugged into my imac via usb and saved my important things onto it(or so I thought). With that done, I unplugged the external drive. I booted up from the Snow Leopard install dvd, went to disk utility, selected my macintosh hard drive, and then erased it. I then closed disk utility and clicked to reinstall software. It gets halfway through, then stops with an error message that Mac os x cannot be installed on this computer. Ive tried several times with the same result. Sometimes it goes further than halfway but always ending with that error message. What do I do now?

Nov 28, 2010
located
That is strange. Normally that message comes up before the actual installation even begins.
Is there any more information with that message? Does it appear in a Mac OS X like window/dialog or any other way?

And you didn't by any chance clone the internal HDD to the external HDD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.