Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessamca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
My 13" Macbook Pro running 10.6.8 recently crashed and would not start due to Google Drive malfunctioning.

I uninstalled Drive and my computer still wouldnt load properly so I did a clean install from the Snow Leopard disc.

It now loads the welcome screen, plays the intro with the music then freezes when I try to choose my language.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the issue? Im wondering if I should change the hard drive, but when I use Disc Utility to repair the drive, it says there is no issues.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
personally there are 3 things I would check. before spending cash on a new drive.

1. My install discs, if I was 100% sure they were fine

2. Then I would check for overheating, can you really hear the fans spinning during the install? Is the Macbook very warm? Then fans' fins can become packed with dust over time and doesn't a very good job of moving air to cool the system, anyone will have this problem anywhere there is dust, so unless you primarily live in some kind of professional clean room you will experience some dust build up over time.
If you're comfortable, disconnect all power, remove the battery (if possible) remove the bottom of the laptop and spray compressed air in and around the fans in multiple directions until you no longer see any dust flying out. If it's never been cleaned you'll most likely see a tiny dustball or two on a 3-4 yr old laptop fan.

3. If you have an external drive, that's basically empty, install SL to this. If it installs fine here but not your internal drive, then you know your install discs are fine, your temperatures are fine and it is most likely your internal drive developing problems.

**If the internal drive is the culprit I would seriously suggest upgrading to an SSD. This will make such a huge difference in performance you'll think you have a new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.