Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
Does anyone ride with AirPod Pros - Beats Fit Pro or PowerBeats Pro? I have APP and PBP - I like the idea of the APP for transparency mode but think they would be really easy to lose, whereas the PBP will stay firmly in place and have a much longer battery but thinking the noise isolation might be too good and I'll be in a world of my own and more likely to crash into other people.

The BFP seem like the answer - if they are really secure but.. I don't have any so would have to buy some!

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I only ride with the €15 wired EarPods, phone is zipped into an inner pocket at chest level, cable comes out by my neck, doesn't bother me at all. If I need to take them out for whatever reason, they just hang in front of me. Also, the pause/play and volume buttons are much easier to use on the cable. I'm really not in the mood to loose a €200 set of ear phones, should I have such things, even though a helmet seems to hold my wired pods in place. Also you are right, we should be able to hear what's going on around us on the slopes and to concentrate on where we're going, so I don't think noise cancelling is a good idea. But, when at home with my wife, my over ear Bose QC noice cancelling phones work like a charm ;)

Last edited:

UoMDeacon

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
I've tried using my APPs with my helmet before but didn't like how the ear flaps interfered with the passthrough sound. Ended up getting a pair of bluetooth speakers that fit into the audio pockets of the helmet instead. Easier to pause/play with the large buttons designed for gloves.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
If you get the BFP, get the Stone Purple (pink) ones. It look me half an hour to find one of my gray ones when it fell on the ground, and the white ones would impossible to find in snow. I find the BFP stay in quite well, until you dislodge them with a glove or something. I think you will have to plan on occasionally losing them. If that is not acceptable to you, then you need something with a more positive attachment to you. I don't do snowboarding but I do mountain biking - and I have occasionally lost various earbuds (including almost lost the BFP). Just part of the cost of doing business.
I use the BFP with transparency and ANC both turned off - wind noise messes with both. I can hear other people muffled but well enough.

Last edited:

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Think I will stick with the PBP A. they are very secure B. they are black so if I do drop one it should be easy to find in the snow!

Reactions: wilberforce

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
Well.. I have been snowboarding now and did use the PBP, they stayed in place no problem. I even had a huge wipeout that fully tested my helmet 🤕yet the PBP did not budge. One thing I will say is my helmet (Sweet Protection) which is audio ready, meaning the ear pads can take speakers, the ear pads would push on my PBP very slightly and make them slightly uncomfortable. I can take the pads out but then I get cold ears.. can not put anything (neck warmer) over the PBP as it pushes the button on them.

I would recommend having headphones that work with Siri, I could ride along and ask the time, change the volume, answer calls etc without having to get to my phone. I had to stop wearing my Apple Watch as I kept activating Siri and commands I put into the watch (play music etc) didn't seem to coordinate with Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.