Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ_Smith

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
Montana USA
42B3E367-4CF9-4AD4-AFAC-CAF71E18EDAC.jpeg

Dirt magnet as hell. Camera bump over the years is getting bigger and bigger. Very uninspiring and very un Apple design. What happened to this company.

Reactions: eulslix

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
There's some folk who have avoided upgrading due the the size/profile of the camera bump on some of the past models. What are your thoughts on this iteration? Seems to me like they've done a great job of reducing the profile even though the area of the module has increased.

I think it looks incredible.

View attachment 857634

View attachment 857636
It’s ugly.
Won’t stop me from buying it because let’s face it—it’s the back of the phone.
But make no mistake it’s ugly. Lol

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
Seriously ... for that kind of money ... and a few millimeters of thickness which would also benefit the battery the entire lens unit should have been embedded or under glass. I won't complain that Apple has lost it's elegance ... but when you see smartphones without the notch and screens that envelope the edge of the phone you know it's time to either wait for Apple to get it or move on to something representative of innovative technology.

It's not just lame and abusive ... it's a tired strategy Apple has ... restricting the low end to force the high end when the high end really isn't kickin' it anymore. You got to clean 3 lenses! fcol

Last edited:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I'll be upgrading, BUT it's not just a bump - it's THREE bumps. The glass square, plus each lens ring, and then the sapphire lens cover also protrudes slightly above each ring. So, three separate protrusions. Ugly as hell. Plus, a fingerprint magnet. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1568348257][/doublepost]
So where should Apple place the front camera, flood illuminator, dot projector, infrared camera, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor, speaker, and microphone? Should Apple bring back the bezel?
Well, to be fair, they never actually got rid of the bezel. The iPhone X and Xs have a 2-3mm bezel all around the screen (just eyeballing it, but yeah) and the Xʀ (and now the iPhone 11) have an even larger bezel. So ... there's room to work with ...

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Well, to be fair, they never actually got rid of the bezel. The iPhone X and Xs have a 2-3mm bezel all around the screen (just eyeballing it, but yeah) and the Xʀ (and now the iPhone 11) have an even larger bezel. So ... there's room to work with ...

I'm eyeballing my Xs max as well, and there's no way those items could be squeezed into that narrow, almost nonexistent bezel.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Zits on top of a bigger zit!!!

There's no reduction of the camera bump, it's been increased... I hope iPhone leather case is thick enough to give it some protection.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Is this picture real or a mockup!? If real... that is a little troubling... hmmm

Yes, it’s from the keynote showroom. I find that part very worrying. I mean, that’s Apple presenting their devices for the first time... and even they cant get these things clean... kind of embarrassing.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Something bothers me about this picture. Sure, the camera is dirty, but aren't the lens rings on all the phones silver? All three rings in the picture look like they have a black finish. That doesn't look like dirt to me.

EDIT: I see how reflections can make the rings look dark. My bad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.