Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
So should every video related App get ported onto Apple TV? I guess no need to jailbreak the device anymore. Soon you should be able to just download an App, then use that App to access your video content, be it on someone else server or on your home computer.

I wonder if Apple will allow what is basically a launcher App, so you can link back to your computer's copious storage space. There should be a lot ways to work around the lack of storage on the Apple TV. Considering speed of WiFi networks now, going and getting something off your home network should be really fast.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I would assume that many of them will be. Some small number may not make sense, in that they're specifically designed for mobile, but otherwise, it should be likely that the developer would make the necessary changes to allow use on tvOS as well. Especially if the tie-in to Siri for search is a public API.

I'm really hoping Amazon Instant Video comes - I've been considering Prime, and that would seal the deal.

Plex and/or XMBC would likely be killer apps in terms of poaching from the Roku/Chromecast set. EyeTV would be great for people in that ecosystem already. Hopefully one or more will allow for better navigation of personal content, to give Apple some ideas to poach for home sharing. :)

I'd love to see live streaming from something like a SiliconDust tuner.

Reactions: Weaselboy

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Amazon Video would be great. Especially with the new Apple TV's ability to find content across all apps. I would love to go one place and find programs that across iTunes, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. Right now not only to I need to check in different apps, but different devices as well. Prime Video is especially annoying to access, not only is it not available on Apple TV, streaming it from their iOS app has not been that reliable for me, and ties up my device as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.