Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use AR glasses with the features in the OP?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
Not always a good thing but also not always a bad thing. Not everyone has time to learn every language, but it’s still very beneficial and even crucial to be able to communicate in certain situations. We depend on other people who are professionals to do things for us that we don’t know how to do too (like fix a car or plumbing), so in this case, whether tech or another human, they’re both delegation of knowledge/work for practical reasons.
However, if the translation technology is done with machine learning, I suppose the general question that poses then is whether humankind should be using machine learning and AI, and to what extent.
It's a good thing with negative tradeoffs, like so much of what we engage in today. It's just question of how long it will be before the sum total of negative tradeoffs come back to bite us.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I could see always-on AR if it were a UI based primarily on 3d graphics in wireframe, with only fully rendered opaque forms upon request. Just minimalist vector graphis overlays, until you choose something to visualize in 3d, then it becomes more than a 1px wide opaque object.

Reactions: JahBoolean

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Amazing feature for the hard of hearing and mute. And probably not a far jump to turn that into a live translation/subtitle feature.
Now that you are mentioning mute persons … there is a chance Apple Glass could translate sign language as well if there is some sensor like a LIDAR scanner or camera on it, too. Awesome to think about.

Reactions: subjonas

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
You know, captions are for deaf people, not blind ones.
I should have clarified, I was referring to this image from the link

It is showing that a door is open. While cool that it can detect that, I just wonder how this would be implemented in a useful way in anything but glasses. Or is this all strictly showing it can be done and not for actual use on the iPhone?

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I should have clarified, I was referring to this image from the link
I got you, now your "Are blind people walking around with their phone up and camera on for this?" makes more sense :) Yeah, blind people (or people with really bad eyesight) could be using their iPhones as eyes in this way. With VoiceOver it would make pretty much sense. All the possibilities there.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I got you, now your "Are blind people walking around with their phone up and camera on for this?" makes more sense :) Yeah, blind people (or people with really bad eyesight) could be using their iPhones as eyes in this way. With VoiceOver it would make pretty much sense. All the possibilities there.

w/ Smart Glasses and AirPods it would be IRL audio descriptions. That could be a really incredible breakthrough usage.

Reactions: MandiMac

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
w/ Smart Glasses and AirPods it would be IRL audio descriptions. That could be a really incredible breakthrough usage.
True. By the way, I would think Airpods (or any headphones that have noise cancellation) should be able to be used with an iPhone to do (near) live audio translation. Anyone know if that’s already a thing? I know they do audio amplification for the hearing-impaired (not sure if iPhone is needed for that function), but wondering about translation.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
True. By the way, I would think Airpods (or any headphones that have noise cancellation) should be able to be used with an iPhone to do (near) live audio translation. Anyone know if that’s already a thing? I know they do audio amplification for the hearing-impaired (not sure if iPhone is needed for that function), but wondering about translation.
It's a very good idea, but I think audio translation is way harder than in text. Because in text the program can adjust on the fly and correct itself, but audio is harder I guess.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It's a very good idea, but I think audio translation is way harder than in text. Because in text the program can adjust on the fly and correct itself, but audio is harder I guess.
Yeah, there would definitely have to be a substantial delay, at least a few seconds. Basically it would be reading the text translation aloud to you after it finishes correcting itself. It wouldn’t be a very flowing conversation. Text translation would flow much better. I guess audio translation would be for the vision-impaired or in circumstances where one has to keep their eyes up for some reason.

Glasses of course could allow for eyes up with text translation. But I wonder if the text would be anchored to the person speaking, or anchored to the glasses. If you look away from a person speaking, you can still hear them speaking, so I’d think you should still be able to read what they’re saying. So I think the text would be better anchored to the glasses, which isn’t really Augmented Reality (world anchored) Heads Up Display, just regular Heads Up Display (screen/glasses anchored). Or maybe both, anchored to the person when they’re in view, and switch to anchor to glasses when you look away.

Last edited:

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
If you look away from a person speaking, you can still hear them speaking, so I’d think you should still be able to read what they’re saying.
I guess if the glasses can attribute colors to voices, there would be something like iMessage bubbles possible. But this might be too ambitious just yet - if it's true that Apple Glass won't get outfacing cameras, this might be too far-fetched for now. Still exciting times ahead of us :)

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Meetings where a 3D object is being displayed above the table. Could be used to show others how something is assembled, for example.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Meetings where a 3D object is being displayed above the table. Could be used to show others how something is assembled, for example.
An app for iPhone exists, Hologo - maybe something like this for glasses could be awesome. Right with you there!

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Voice commands. And also up-to-date information about roads, traffic jams, etc.
Navigation will likely be a big point for AR glasses. What do you mean with voice commands? Siri on the glasses, or do you mean it's more of a dialogue between the gadget and you?

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Yes, I mean Siri. To be able to control some functions without the phone and without hands. For example, turn on/off navigation, find an address, etc. Or find the necessary information (if such a function will be).
I think it would be very convenient!
So, basically the "Hey Siri" functionality but with glasses? I guess that's gonna be a contender for day one. :)

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I can do one better, I can show what my AR idea is because I'm already developing it with ARKit :) I intend a version of it to be ready when the device, whatever it ends up being, launches. Lets you customize how you see your home (and hopefully, how others see it too if they are wearing their own devices).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.