Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I am confused by AppleTV's interface for CBS All Access.

I previously had a standalone CBS All Access subscription. That UI included an easy menu row across the top.
I let that lapse, then signed up for the combo Showtime + CBS All Access $10/month subscription.

Questions about CBS All Access user interface:

1) Where is the search button?
Before, with the standalone CBS All Access subscription, the Search button was simply along the top banner.

2) How can I see an alphabetical listing of series?

3) Smithsonian Channel says its content is now a part of CBS All Access. How can I find that?

1608325312011.png

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
1) Where is the search button?
Before, with the standalone CBS All Access subscription, the Search button was simply along the top banner.

There is no search within the Channel. The search is in the top tool bar when you are on the Home Screen of the TV app. Or you can use use the Siri remote and say something like “hey siri, show me The Stand.”

2) How can I see an alphabetical listing of series?

In the CBS Channel, scroll down towards the bottom and select the blue button that says “series.” For some reason it’s not alphabetical but all the series are there. Smithsonian Channel content is also integrated here.

You can use your Apple ID to access the CBS All Access app by registering your Apple ID at this URL: https://www.cbs.com/apple. Once you register the Apple ID you ought to be able to log into the CBS app, as long as the email address is the same, with your previous CBS credentials.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
AppleTV+ isn't the issue, it's where Apple decided to put the app which is causing all the confusion and frustration. Unlike all the other apps you can install on your device... AppleTV+ is the only one that only resides in the Apple Store ecosystem.

So while you can click on Hulu on the main menu and happily watch Hulu content, you have to click on the Apple logo to enter it's store to gain access to the AppleTV+ app. If you don't then click on that app to launch AppleTV+ you're actually in the store environment which shows you more than just what is on AppleTV+. To make matters worse, all your installed apps are also accessible as channels in this area as well, so you think you're where you should be when in actuality, you don't need to be there to watch those channels.

If we could pull the AppleTV+ app out of the store and place it on the main menu like all the other apps we install, we'd be golden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.