Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
My unit just arrives today. However I'm having a big concern over the lack of music control on the Airpods. Using Siri to do this simple task is really dumb. Doing this on the phone is a big inconvenience as well. So do you guys get used to it? Or have no problem at all?

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I put them in and ask Siri to play Beats 1. Off I go..

Or I launch Discover weekly in Spotify and start running threadmill.

I really dont do much changing of songs or volume with Siri. Its easy and not akward doing it in public with the watch.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
I put them in and ask Siri to play Beats 1. Off I go..

Or I launch Discover weekly in Spotify and start running threadmill.

I really dont do much changing of songs or volume with Siri. Its easy and not akward doing it in public with the watch.

Ugh I got rid of my Apple watch a while ago so I'm stuck with using the phone. Siri is not an option to use in a quiet place like my work office...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My unit just arrives today. However I'm having a big concern over the lack of music control on the Airpods. Using Siri to do this simple task is really dumb. Doing this on the phone is a big inconvenience as well. So do you guys get used to it? Or have no problem at all?

No issues, that's exactly what the product was listed to do, knowingly before I purchased this. As this this is a new product, there was no previous iteration before this. Being accustomed to the Siri controls are straight forward and simplistic for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinsin07

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I have an Apple Watch

^^This!

If I didn't have an Apple Watch I probably either would not have gotten them from the start or I would have returned them.. I did try them without the watch and it's not the greatest experience in the world using Siri to change songs, volume ect...

They flat out rock with the Apple Watch though..

Last edited:
Reactions: Phone Junky

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't buy the AirPods for their lack of direct controls, but that aspect also didn't stop me from buying them. So far they have proven well-suited for their intended use.

Since I haven't used these kind of earphones before I guess the closest answer I can give is that I've gotten used to how they operate.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Took a couple minutes to adjust to the double tap for Siri but then they are fine. They do hear and understand my voice incredibly well, even in a loud busy gym.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I am going to hire a personal assistant to hold the phone for me and control the music, because it is such a huge pain to do it myself. /s

lol - so funny as it points out AirPods lack such a critical feature.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
So how do I use my apple
Watch to control my volume? I have 3.1 and don't see battery status

I use tidal app. Not sure if that is why I can't see controls

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I switched double tap to play/pause.

From there if I need to adjust volume I just squeeze the phone in my pocket, don't even need to take it out.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Today I've been out doing downhill skiing and I used one AirPod at a time. Such an amazing combination with the watch. I have two layers of clothing, gloves, cap and helmet yet so easy to either hit the side of my head to activate Siri on the AirPod or even better when just raising the arm and say call my brother. A small tap on the arm and the call is coming in on the AirPod. No screens, no fingers and no hassles.

Also, I never lost them in the snow..

Reactions: ulinerg

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Not too much hassle I can use my watch or my phone, tend to leave the volume where it is all the time but I do find the Siri controls cumbersome.

I've got a feeling this will be like the watch OS the first version was ok but I expect they'll make changes through a future software update in fact given the negative reviews about the lack of control without the use of Siri they might be mad not to release an update for this.

Don't see any reason why they can't use the following double tap on left bud to go back a track same on the right to advance one track, triple tap on the left bud to reduce volume same on the right to increase, play pause is already perfect in my opinion by taking one bud out and Siri could be invoked using hey Siri.

All of that could be pushed to the Airpods through a firmware update in combination with an iOS software update. Get the feeling it was more of a decision to try and highlight the use of Siri by Apple rather than technical drawbacks.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Even when I used wired headphones I mostly found myself changing the songs with my phone and not the controls on the wire.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Ugh I got rid of my Apple watch a while ago so I'm stuck with using the phone. Siri is not an option to use in a quiet place like my work office...

Curious, if you're in an office, how much trouble is it to use your iPhone to control playback, volume, etc?

ulinerg

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Once I got the hang of the basic commands Siri works great for me.
And here in the Great White North it works well for winter operations when I can't get at my Apple watch and I don't have to try to double click on a little switch dangling off a cord that is buried under my winter coat/scarf.

I wasn't initially pleased as I don't really use Siri but I have adapted and learned a new skill.

Give them some time and if they fit and don't fall out you will get to love them.

Reactions: GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.