Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Ok we know Apple thinks the Galaxy S3 looks like an iPhone, but do you actually agree with this. Will the average shopper pick up a Galaxy S3 and think they are holding an iPhone?

galaxy_s_iii_iphone.jpg

Last edited:

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
I agree it looks a bit similar. But you have to take into consideration that at a certain point designs almost have to overlap. There's only so many ways you can configure a similarly-sized device before they start to look quite similar. I think Samsung fed off the idea of the iPhone but made enough adjustments to differentiate it.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That comparison could be made between just about ALL smartphones, not just the S3 or iPhones.

Heck, the iPhone 4 looks similar to the Samsung Eternity (which came out in 2008 and isn't classified as a smartphone).

samsung-eternity-phone.jpg

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
No. What part looks like it? don't tell me the shape cuz that's the shape of ALL smartphones. geeez... are we grasping here?

stefan109

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
No - I personally think it is quite clear the S3 does not copy the iPhone. I believe (speculating, arguably) that internally they also do not think it is a copy - they are throwing around accusations for the sake of legal bargaining power. Apple did not create the form factor of a touch-screen smartphone. Apple took an existing form factor, made it intuitive, and created lust for their product through exceptional marketing.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
to a degree, all smartphones look alike these days. Almost all of them have a front that is mostly just the screen, very few (in many cases just one) button on the front, and little else. The little nuances like the curve of the back, screen size, and materials used are really all that separate them. I'm not saying they all look exactly alike, but they all pretty much are being designed from the same basic principles.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
That comparison could be made between just about ALL smartphones, not just the S3 or iPhones.

Heck, the iPhone 4 looks similar to the Samsung Eternity (which came out in 2008 and isn't classified as a smartphone).

3 buttons on the bottom. Apple is famous for employing the simplicity of a single front facing button of which now CTRL-C Sammy has copied....again.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Absolutely Not. Only Apple and their lawyers would think they look the same. Apple is being shameful in trying to even suggest it. I find it even hilarious. I don't think you'll find even the hardcore sheep saying they look the same in anyway other than their both a candybar form factor. It was only a matter time before Apple showed their true colors. Yellow.

----------

We do? You have a source on that claim?

Try using Google next time.

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/06/apple-looking-to-ban-samsung-galaxy-s3-in-the-u-s/

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No.

In fact, I wish Apple would let users customize their home screens like the S3!

Quite frankly, as much as I like iOS, its boring. I laugh at the "home screen" thread thats on iPhone forums... each and every un-jail broken home screen looks exactly the same.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
3 buttons on the bottom. Apple is famous for employing the simplicity of a single front facing button of which now CTRL-C Sammy has copied....again.

Dude that button has been on every Galaxy device since its inception. The USA versions just didnt get them til now. Only the UK phones had them. I prefer all capacitive buttons to physical button.

Of course Apple is trying to ban the GS3 in the USA....its their best source for sales and is going to take a big hit here in this one.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012

Try reading next time.

It says right in your link that the lawsuit to ban the S3 isn't about how it physically looks like the OP was saying.

the Galaxy S III infringes upon two Apple patents -*U.S. Patent Nos.*8,086,604*and No.*5,946,647. The first has to do with “unified search,” while the second involves*”links for structures.”

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Try reading next time.

It says right in your link that the lawsuit to ban the S3 isn't about how it physically looks like the OP was saying.

From CNET This quote is also in my original source link.

Meanwhile, an Apple spokesperson told CNET in an e-mailed statement today, "It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging, This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

I don't know, I think the GS3 falls under the latest product category. What do you think?
BTW, the OP only said Apple thinks the GS3 looks like the iPhone. I don't think anyone here says that Apple request to ban the S3 is based off the devices looking similar. In which case you should take your own advice: "Try reading next time."

btw, no hard feelings.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Honestly, if you don't flip the SIII around to the back, it actually looks nicer than the iPhone. I think the back of the SIII is hideous, while the front looks quite nice.

Conversely, I think the front of the iPhone looks bad (something about the large and unused bezel looks, I don't know, comical now...), but the sides/back are gorgeous.

: shrug :

The SIII's front is really quite beautiful:

s3-new-5.jpg

s3-new-2.jpg

IMO.

PS. Sorry about the large sizes.

Last edited:

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Honestly, if you don't flip the SIII around to the back, it actually looks nicer than the iPhone. I think the back of the SIII is hideous, while the front looks quite nice.

Conversely, I think the front of the iPhone looks bad (something about the large and unused bezel looks, I don't know, comical now...), but the sides/back are gorgeous.

: shrug :

The SIII's front is really quite beautiful:

IMO.

PS. Sorry about the large sizes.

For me when it comes to looks in general (phones, cars, people, etc...), I find it's the ones where the looks grow on you that have the longest life. And when you read most of the reviews of the GS3, people are saying it looks better in person than in pics or video. In fact the people that originally didn't like the looks in general are now warming up to the design when you read all the blogs. They also are strongly expressing that it feels incredibly comfortable in the hand. Samsung made the right choice with the design. I don't like white, but for some reason I think it looks good on this phone. I'll actually be picking up a white one.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
I hope Apple wins this suit. The SG3 looks exactly the same as the iPhone. I can't even imagine how Samsung thought that this was not copying the iPhone.

Apple4life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.