Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Well, for one, it can be used by an entire household as a voice assistant for $99, rather than $400 watches for everyone. You are correct, the phone can do everything also, but you have to have it with you and take it from a pocket. Convenience is worth something.

Also, it appears the mini will act as a hub for Homekit. It will be the cheapest device available for a hub. And we don't know the quality of sound yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Honestly, I don't understand the point of these things, other than to make an Amazon competitor in the $99 range. But who's going to buy them?

Are you kidding LOL??!? They will sell by the boat load!! I’m in for a few. Many others here are too.

Will save me having to listen to music on my phone when I’m not near my main HomePod for a start.

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
im thinking bluetooth auto connects each time I turn on my MacBook vs. airplay I would have to set it or manually turn on? My apologies, new to this.
I use a pair in stereo with a macbook pro and a macbook air. Both are 2012 models.
It is a wifi connection and they should be on the same network.
The newer the mac, the more reliable the combo will be.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Well, for one, it can be used by an entire household
I can buy that. If you've got kids young enough that they don't have earbuds glued in place yet, I guess it makes sense. And maybe pre teens who think they're cute. It's the right shape...

Maybe also if two Minis sound better than a single HomePod? I'd be curious to see that comparison.

Reactions: Five_Oh

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I am curious about audio quality. Apple conveniently side-stepped that topic.

I don’t think they sidestepped it but that’s something which is subjective, you can’t put a figure on sound quality.
I think they said it kept homepods Greta quality in a video there’s little more than that which means anything.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I'm glad that the HomePod mini can act as a HomeKit hub - that's what I had been hoping for.

I will likely get one, then it can replace an old spare iPad mini 2 that's currently serving that purpose. As a bonus I get a small speaker along with a HomeKit hub.

OTOH I'm disappointed it doesn't (yet?) support Spotify natively - hopefully that will come but in meantime I suppose a workaround is to just AirPlay Spotify from my iPhone...

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I’ll be grabbing one for the bathroom. Maybe two and save one for use for later

marlman

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I will be getting one for the bedroom and to answer an earlier question yes Intercom works with existing Homepod's

I just watched a video on YouTube showing it working the Homepods have to be on iOS 14 which is only in Beta at the moment. but it looks impressive.

Also looking forward to playing with the new UI chip I am hoping that it will be able to turn on my bedroom light when I am in the room with my iPhone on me?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
that'll be classic apple tho when intercom doesn't work with big homepod lol

People have it working on the 2018 HomePod (they're running the 14.1 beta, onto iPhone 11's, etc).

Are you kidding LOL??!? They will sell by the boat load!! I’m in for a few. Many others here are too.

Will save me having to listen to music on my phone when I’m not near my main HomePod for a start.

Yea, I am picking up a pair for my room, as I live in a house share, so I don't have a large space & a 2018 HomePod is overkill.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
What's missing from your dream list?

I was hoping to hear more about HomeKit integration and the U1 chip.

When I saw the early leaks and the magsafe system, I thought for a fraction of a second that it could be battery operated and recharge on a Magsafe base. A little disappointed that it didn't turn out to be accurate :D.

The one thing I'm really wondering about UWB tech is if it can replace bluetooth or not for wireless audio or not and what could be the benefits over BT. Perhaps sufficiently increased bandwidth for lossless transmission combined with very little lag and easy synchronisation (for example to easily implement wirelessly stereo pairing two HomePods Mini system wide as a Mac's monitors) ?

Watom

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2020
This might seem like an odd complaint, but I wanted something in-between this and the original Homepod. Basically I wanted something around the $200 mark, which would be a genuine competitor to the Sonos One in terms of size, price and audio quality. I'm fairly tied in to the Sonos ecosystem, but their recent decision to start to mothball the older generation of speakers, and the fact that the Sonos app is a bit clunky has made me want to start switching to Airplay based speakers. But I haven't really been able to justify the jump to replace the Sonos One with the original Apple Homepod because (here in the UK) is was an extra £100 per speaker.

For me the mini is just, too mini! I'm not convinced that the audio quality would be good enough for extended music listening, even in small rooms, so I'd really only be buying it for the 'smarts' and despite having quite a bit of home automated kit, I've never really been into voice control (and have consciously avoided any Alexa based products)

The only function which looks genuinely useful is the intercom, because we spend a lot of time shouting across the house (especially since we've been in lockdown!)

I like the fact that they can pair as a stereo set, but still don't think the audio quality would be better than a Sonos One for the same price.

The one thing I'm pleased about with this announcement is that it means that Apple haven't given up on the Homepod - so we might see new products emerge over time. I was always a bit hesitant about making the switch to the Airplay ecosystem and shelling out for the original Homepods as for a while it looked as though Apple was moving away from smart speakers. But with this announcement I might just reconsider investing in the bigger brother.

So, ironically, the homepod mini has made me more likely to buy the original Homepod! Although having said all that I'm mindful of @rmhop81 's comments above re. using Airplay vs Sonos....

Reactions: robotica

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This might seem like an odd complaint, but I wanted something in-between this and the original Homepod. Basically I wanted something around the $200 mark, which would be a genuine competitor to the Sonos One in terms of size, price and audio quality. I'm fairly tied in to the Sonos ecosystem, but their recent decision to start to mothball the older generation of speakers, and the fact that the Sonos app is a bit clunky has made me want to start switching to Airplay based speakers. But I haven't really been able to justify the jump to replace the Sonos One with the original Apple Homepod because (here in the UK) is was an extra £100 per speaker.

For me the mini is just, too mini! I'm not convinced that the audio quality would be good enough for extended music listening, even in small rooms, so I'd really only be buying it for the 'smarts' and despite having quite a bit of home automated kit, I've never really been into voice control (and have consciously avoided any Alexa based products)

The only function which looks genuinely useful is the intercom, because we spend a lot of time shouting across the house (especially since we've been in lockdown!)

I like the fact that they can pair as a stereo set, but still don't think the audio quality would be better than a Sonos One for the same price.

The one thing I'm pleased about with this announcement is that it means that Apple haven't given up on the Homepod - so we might see new products emerge over time. I was always a bit hesitant about making the switch to the Airplay ecosystem and shelling out for the original Homepods as for a while it looked as though Apple was moving away from smart speakers. But with this announcement I might just reconsider investing in the bigger brother.

So, ironically, the homepod mini has made me more likely to buy the original Homepod! Although having said all that I'm mindful of @rmhop81 's comments above re. using Airplay vs Sonos....
I replied to you in the other thread but in case you missed it, there’s actually a new rumor from a reputable Apple leaker/source that Apple is considering a mid range HomePod.

Reactions: Watom

shywizard

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Can someone tell me if the HomePod/new HomePod Mini can play movies (via voice control only) that are on an AppleTV?

Example: I walk into my bedroom and say to the HomePod "Hey Siri, play the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith".
And then the AppleTV in my bedroom will find the movie and put it on the screen.

Again, this is total voice control. No remote or phone needed in my example.

This happens to be a feature that Google's smart speaker can do, and I would think Apple can easily do it as well because they control both the HomePod and AppleTV software/integration.

Since I don't own a HomePod I can't test this.
Can you guys please let me know.
Thank you.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The mini may get them back in the game of smart speakers. I wonder what took so long to release it.
Maybe trying to squeeze every last bit of HomePod sales they could. Might explain the many $199 sales they had on it in the past year. Releasing the Mini could do one of two things. Either, totally cannibalize sales of the HomePod or get people to be interested in trying the bigger HomePod and make more sales.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Honestly, I don't understand the point of these things, other than to make an Amazon competitor in the $99 range. But who's going to buy them? These things make sense for Amazon, because stationary devices are literally the only way they have to access Alexa. But what buyer of a HomePod mini doesn't already have an iPhone in his pocket? Or maybe wouldn't be better served with an Apple Watch? A dedicated smart speaker for me would be completely superfluous, and much more limiting than what I already have with me. It's incredibly rare for my phone to not be in the same room as me, and even then, my watch is on my wrist. I can access Siri any time and place I want - so, why do I need this?

The larger HomePod - sure, I get it. I think Sonos is better, for a number of reasons, but generally I get why someone would want a good sounding speaker that happens to also be a digital assistant. But the Mini is the opposite - instead of a good speaker that happens to have a digital assistant, it's a digital assistant that happens to also play music. It's 180° from Apple's original HomePod pitch. I'm sure it will be better than average, for a speaker it's size; but that's faint praise. It might be a nice tiny speaker, but it's still a tiny speaker.
You have nightstands? I do and I don’t want two huge HomePods sitting on mine so ordered two HomePod minis.

Reactions: Ansath

shywizard

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Can someone tell me if the HomePod/new HomePod Mini can play movies (via voice control only) that are on an AppleTV?

Example: I walk into my bedroom and say to the HomePod "Hey Siri, play the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith".
And then the AppleTV in my bedroom will find the movie and put it on the screen.

This happens to be a feature that Google's smart speaker can do, and I would think Apple can easily do it as well because they control both the HomePod and AppleTV software/integration.

Thank you.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011

Thank you.
You sure seem to have a lot of faith in Siri.

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
For the bedside, a clock display and nightlight like the Lenovo smart essentials clock would be nice.

though I like to have a clock, I’m sure the sound quality on the HomePod mini is better than the Lenovo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.