Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Talk about a senior moment! 🤦🏻‍♂️

While I was changing my AWU2's watch strap I accidentally triggered an Emergency Call — no idea how, but I must have pressed the side button and while wearing noise cancelling headphones, with the watch screen turned away from me I only realised it was happening too late.

I thought I had managed to stop it, but no — within 30 seconds I had a call from the local unit asking if I was OK. The very kind lady assured me it was no problem and that I was not the first one to have fumbled into dialling them up.

I have now switched off the automatic call — and if it is ever needed… hopefully never — I'll rely on pressing the side button and then swiping to call.

It even triggered an emergency message to my husband which had him frantic.

Oh well… no harm done apart from me being absolutely mortified and embarrassed.

But good to see it does work.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for the story! Now that you know, though, why not leave it on? You could have a tumble or crash that would render you incapacitated and unable to press for an emergency.

Leaving the automatic SOS calling ON could save you!

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
Talk about a senior moment! 🤦🏻‍♂️

While I was changing my AWU2's watch strap I accidentally triggered an Emergency Call — no idea how, but I must have pressed the side button and while wearing noise cancelling headphones, with the watch screen turned away from me I only realised it was happening too late.

I thought I had managed to stop it, but no — within 30 seconds I had a call from the local unit asking if I was OK. The very kind lady assured me it was no problem and that I was not the first one to have fumbled into dialling them up.

I have now switched off the automatic call — and if it is ever needed… hopefully never — I'll rely on pressing the side button and then swiping to call.

It even triggered an emergency message to my husband which had him frantic.

Oh well… no harm done apart from me being absolutely mortified and embarrassed.

But good to see it does work.
great story.
its also the reason why i have it turned off as well.
also i have fall detection also turned off.

but its good news that your designated family emergency contact is also notified.
first post i have read about that.

change that i really want apple to implement:
i want only the designated family/emergency contact to be notified if i fall, not public official emergency services.

• Love
Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Thanks for the story! Now that you know, though, why not leave it on? You could have a tumble or crash that would render you incapacitated and unable to press for an emergency.

Leaving the automatic SOS calling ON could save you!
👍
True and I am considering it…
I was just astonished I could trigger it so easily just by being inattentive.

I hate wasting emergency services' time. 🙂

Reactions: Saturn007

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
great story.
its also the reason why i have it turned off as well.
also i have fall detection also turned off.

but its good news that your designated family emergency contact is also notified.
first post i have read about that.

change that i really want apple to implement:
i want only the designated family/emergency contact to be notified if i fall, not public official emergency services.
Absolutely!
I'd hate to find the whole Emergency services team banging on my door because I was being inattentive. I'd probably die of embarrassment! (How to tell you I'm British without telling you I'm British! 🤣)

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Well, I had my second heart attack three weeks ago. If I had thought about embarrasing myself and taking the time from healthcare, I probably wouldn't be here now (and yes, my wife had to force me to call them 😜).

We pay taxes for a reason, right? (at least here in Sweden)

"Better safe than sorry"

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
My emergency call is turned on b/c I live by myself and am a dialysis patient. Have my cellular AW in case I lose my phone or misplace it.

And when I go stupidly exploring an abandoned gold mining area near my house, I’m thinking about a cheap burner phone just in case. I’m not sure that anything would help if I fall down a mineshaft, but otherwise having emergency services access performed automatically is great when I’m at home or wandering around my property.

@arkitect @carlsson Thanks for sharing. Same thing in Canada; a lifetime of high taxes is paying off.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.