Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I’m not an iOS 12 beta tester for my own reasons.

Been an iPhone user since day one.

I find iOS 11 to be the buggiest iOS I can remember on all of my iOS devices.

I’ve created many official support tickets with Apple that seem to fall on deaf ears (thus the reluctance to beta test).

To those of you that have been running iOS 12 beta, how do you find it generally compared to 11? I don’t mean feature-wise, just stability/bug-wise.

I’m aware you are not totally comparing apples with apples (no pun intended) becasue 12 is still in beta, but by now you should have a good feeling of how iOS 12 performs.

Appreciate your comments.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I’m not an iOS 12 beta tester for my own reasons.

Been an iPhone user since day one.

I find iOS 11 to be the buggiest iOS I can remember on all of my iOS devices.

I’ve created many official support tickets with Apple that seem to fall on deaf ears (thus the reluctance to beta test).

To those of you that have been running iOS 12 beta, how do you find it generally compared to 11? I don’t mean feature-wise, just stability/bug-wise.

I’m aware you are not totally comparing apples with apples (no pun intended) becasue 12 is still in beta, but by now you should have a good feeling of how iOS 12 performs.

Appreciate your comments.
At the expense of new features. There's not even new wallpapers in the iOS 12 GM :p

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It’s very very smooth on my 6S. iPad Pro isn’t much of a difference but it does feel a tad more snappy. If anything getting used to all the new gestures and location of control center is the biggest change.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I've noticed Touch ID on my 8 is much faster on iOS 12 GM. On 11.4, sometimes it would show the password entry for a second before Touch ID actually unlocked the phone. Now, it is damn near instantaneous, where I can just press my finger on the sensor for a split second and it will unlock smoothly with no passcode screen showing briefly. Also, the whole OS feels very smooth, not much of a huge difference there as the A11 has always been pretty damn fast. But they must have made some Touch ID optimizations because it definitely feels much faster.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It’s worth it just for the speed/efficiency increases. My 7 really flies on the beta. Battery seems a little better too.

Screentime seems overly hard to use though which is disappointing.

Honestly though, if all Apple did for users of old phones was to ship the speed increases & bug fixes, iOS 12 would be a must have.

I swore a few months ago that I’d not update my phone on day one, but given what a mess iOS 11 has been I’ll be glad to see the back of it.

Reactions: HobbesInVA

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
Wh
At the expense of new features. There's not even new wallpapers in the iOS 12 GM :p
What about the blue/red wallpaper? By the way, is the dark filter on the home screen gone for good? I want to see the true colors of my wallpaper without the darker filter

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I hope iOS 12 is going to be good. Though, I can't help but think Apple would have a better software experience had they made the move to a no home button design much earlier on.

Reactions: Ben Harley

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
Dude, this update! AMAZING. So far the best initial update Apple has ever released for iPhone.

True, 11 was the most buggiest and crappiest! I liked 10 more.

But this 12 is out of this world.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
From what I’m seeing so far I have to agree it’s worlds ahead of 11. My only gripe so far is the new password handling feature but I’ve created a separate thread about that.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
From what I’m seeing so far I have to agree it’s worlds ahead of 11. My only gripe so far is the new password handling feature but I’ve created a separate thread about that.
I’ve taken myself off the beta train. I had a lot of problems with iOS 10 betas on a device I was using for beta testing. Eventually by the general release that was mostly resolved.

iOS 11 was released as the buggiest general release I have ever experienced and that was on the latest devices, not an older, slower iOS device. So I stayed off the betas for 12 and will probably continue my non participation unless something really enticing is revealed. But I have to say that 12 has really seemed to smooth out almost all of the rough edges 11 had introduced. 12.1 seems to have introduced group face time again, not that useful for me, and landscape Face ID function that will be needed for future iPads. So nothing enticing me enough to install a beta again.

I did find the setting to turn off the constant Touch ID requirement for auto filling passwords. That was annoying. But if I were very concerned about someone stealing my device I would turn that back on and am glad they included this.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I'm pleased with iOS 12. From an IT Architect perspective, I rather have a stable platform than bells & whistles on a defective platform, i.e. iOS 11.

There's no point in replacing windows or siding on a house if the foundation is failing...

Reactions: bluecoast

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
On my iPhone X, 11 definitely felt more polished in the end. I had zero crashes or bugs, at least not that I knew of, and now I keep stumbling about strange design choices that were made as well as bugs all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.