Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
I talked my coworker into getting a macbook... Guess we should have waited till the next revision. Her computer got so hot yesterday that it melted the ethernet coord and jack it was connected to. Anyone else have this problem?

Nothing was around it, No liquids, explosives, or otherwise bad things. It was plugged in at the desk and connected to the net with the lid closed. The actual coord (white jacket next my thumb was already damaged), but the jack itself melted. When she pulled it out of the port, the plastic actually stringed as it was hot enough to make strands.

Freak act of god? I dont' know.

having her take it to the genius bar tomorrow. No pics of the ehternet port as she turned it off and was afraid to bring it into the office. Sorry the pics are a little blurry... was in a hurry as it's almost 5
Will let you all know what happens at the genius bar on monday as I am rather currious.
http://imagecloset.com/upload/27ce4ad0.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/upload/b60e1844.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/upload/1304fe34.jpg

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No, this is not a feature of the current MB. "Next revision" doesn't prevent unique accidents. Might need to get that unit looked at, or replaced.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
sure it wasn't something else that caused it to "melt" it would be pretty hard for a computer to melt a network cable

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
O RLY?!

Pictures please.

If it were hot enough to melt the plastic sleeving surrounding the cable, I can only wonder what damage it would have caused to the MacBook casing?

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Pressure said:
O RLY?!

Pictures please.

If it were hot enough to melt the plastic sleeving surrounding the cable, I can only wonder what damage it would have caused to the MacBook casing?

I imagine the plastic sleeve around the network cable would melt at a much lower temperature than the hard casing of the MacBook.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Yes, but if it got hot enough that the temperature of the ethernet cord rose to the point of melting the outside cover, the internals, I'd think, would be pretty toasty.

So much so that I'd think it might have fried some other things - like the keyboard.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
emw said:
Yes, but if it got hot enough that the temperature of the ethernet cord rose to the point of melting the outside cover, the internals, I'd think, would be pretty toasty.

So much so that I'd think it might have fried some other things - like the keyboard.

Yes, of course. It's pretty scary but it could have just been a steamy download.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
bousozoku said:
Yes, of course. It's pretty scary but it could have just been a steamy download.

Damn, I always hate those.

Sounds like there could've been a problem with the cable that caused it to melt, not the MacBook.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I still don't understand how the cable could burn just right there, not trying to be rude or say you're lying or anything just don't understand it. It doesn't make any sense. I mean look at it the underlying part isn't melted at all either. Is she sure nothing else was around it? Let us know what the apple store guy says.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
What? Generik? Huh? This was originally meant as a response to generik who felt the need to attack me for pondering the cause.

Obviously many of us are tyring to understand what happened. It doesn't seem like the macbook could of caused that. Is that supposed to be the end that was plugged into the macbook? Or was the macbook set on top of that end for some reason? If that was the end that was plugged into the macbook then you would think that it would have melted from the wires out or from the part of the connectore closest to the macbook. The burn mark makes no sense.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
joebells said:
I still don't understand how the cable could burn just right there, not trying to be rude or say you're lying or anything just don't understand it. It doesn't make any sense. I mean look at it the underlying part isn't melted at all either. Is she sure nothing else was around it? Let us know what the apple store guy says.

It does seem incredibly odd. The only thing that I can imagine is that the cable wire has a higher resistance and was building up heat to melt that part but it seems as though more of the cable would have melted.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I doubt that. How am I supposed to tell which end was in the MacBook and which end was in the wall? I would suspect that there is something else here at hand than the MacBook.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
California said:
Wow. Who would buy a MacBook and then hook it up to the internet with a wire?

I would. My family is so strapped for cash at the moment we're using dial-up. I'm lucky that I still have my iBook and can go use wireless access in various places.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
California said:
Wow. Who would buy a MacBook and then hook it up to the internet with a wire?
Someone who transfers big files through LAN and prefrers the 1000mbps speed provided by a good ethernet router to the 54mbps of 802.11g? Someone who doesn't trust the security of wireless networks?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
skipsandwichdx said:
I've seen clearer bigfoot photos

I was thinking of something smart to say about the poor quality of the pictures as well considering the size of the things. Camera doesn't have a macro mode I'm assuming or an anti shake mechanism?

Kudos on the witty comment any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.