Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
My iPad takes over 10hours to reload completely from below 20%

This is awful long as it means that a late night of work on iPad will not garantee a fully loaded iPad for the next morning.

Is this a battery related thing or just linked to that absurd transformer that came in the box.

Because if it is the transformer I much would have prefered a recharge via computer USB port.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
The wall charger will always be the quickest way to charge any device -_- USB doesnt carry anywhere near that voltage. So charger through USB will take much longer.

And meh id prefer to save the planet if even by a tiny bit by not running my computer to charge another

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have to say even using the wall charger it is going to take a while. The first time, I depleted my battery it took four hours to recharge. Now, I abuse it during the daytime and then recharge at night.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
If you're charging it from 0% to 100% every single night, I'll be amazed. I used maybe 20-25% of my battery every day and that took just a couple of hours to recharge back up.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
I charge mine probably once ever couple of days after heavy usage. Takes around 4-5 hours from a near complete drain to 100% using the wall charger.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
My iPad takes over 10hours to reload completely from below 20%This is awful long as it means that a late night of work on iPad will not garantee a fully loaded iPad for the next morning.Is this a battery related thing or just linked to that absurd transformer that came in the box. Because if it is the transformer I much would have prefered a recharge via computer USB port.

As discussed numerous times, because of the voltage required for the iPad, USB ports cannot (even powered) supply the full voltage to charge the iPad and the voltage supplied is merely a trickle charge. Hence why the "not charging" message when the AC adapter is not in use, plus this would take a lot longer. I have logged a bug with Apple over the usual green battery charging icon not appearing when iPad is locked and on charge (like the iPhone and iPod touch).

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I also picked up a 2.1 AMP car charger. I'm never dead.

Normal USB just can't supply enough Current the iPad wants.

With a 10 hour battery, charging at night has been sufficient so far.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
And meh id prefer to save the planet if even by a tiny bit by not running my computer to charge another

Maybe you should be concerned about saving the planet when mr "Green" himself, Al Gore gives up his house that uses 20 times more electricity than the average home consumes. And when he leaves that planet destroying mc-mansion, he gets in the backseat of his Non green, non hybrid gas guzzling Suburban that his driver drives him to drop him off him to his non fuel efficient, burning up the OZone Private Jet that he takes to deliver speeches to preach that YOU conserve the energy that he won't....THEN maybe ;)

As far as how long does it take to charge? I'd say when I need to charge during the day from 0% it's charged in 4-5 hours. Normally I just plug it in at night.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
After today's news, don't worry. Tipper is going to get the house and car. Al will get the tee-pee of his dreams... And a bicycle.

Maybe you should be concerned about saving the planet when mr "Green" himself, Al Gore gives up his house that uses 20 times more electricity than the average home consumes.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I have logged a bug with Apple over the usual green battery charging icon not appearing when iPad is locked and on charge (like the iPhone and iPod touch).

Can someone explain this to me? I returned my charger to the Apple store for a replacement recently because it wasn't working and now I fear I may just have been stupid!

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
If you're charging it from 0% to 100% every single night, I'll be amazed. I used maybe 20-25% of my battery every day and that took just a couple of hours to recharge back up.

I have 3G and an Apple Blu-Tooth keyboard and use my iPad all day. I watch movies, play games, surf the web... by far I think the biggest drain is the BT. Anyway, yesterday I was 19% tonight 15%. It will take 4.5 hours to charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.