Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
My 3G won't be here until Friday, so I can't yet answer my own question...

While we wait on a native iPad Slingplayer App, how's the iPhone version holding up on the ipad? From what I understand, it'll just stretch the meager iPhone resolution--but how does that look? Passable?

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
My 3G won't be here until Friday, so I can't yet answer my own question...

While we wait on a native iPad Slingplayer App, how's the iPhone version holding up on the ipad? From what I understand, it'll just stretch the meager iPhone resolution--but how does that look? Passable?

I've had the app on my Pad only the past couple of days. If you've used the sling app on the iPhone, it's pretty much the same on the iPad at it's native resolution. Doubling the viewing size of the iPhone app does increase the size of the noticeable pixels. It's kind of like when I hook up my sling-playing MacBook to my 42" LCD tv.

xmnj

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
it's watchable. I have been using it without issues, not the best picture quality, but it's good enough to watch a show or the news.

thrill5one6

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Poor picture quality and a lot of buffering
a7205952.jpg

4f04d13d.jpg

nsxer007

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
watchable for sure...

I've used mine to keep tabs on the NBA playoffs and it's worked just fine. Obviously it would be nice to have more resolution, but it's better than nothing! My framerate, etc has been fine. No buffering issues or anything like that. I'm pretty sure that stuff is wifi-network dependant anyway.... has nothing to do with being an ipad or iphone. The cool thing is I've already paid for the app for my phone so it's free to use on the ipad. I'm sure sling is gonna charge us another $30 for the HD version for the ipad.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Works fine on the iPad here. Pretty much the same as on the iPhone.

Just for a test, I used an AT&T mobile usb "stick" plugged into a wifi hotspot router. The slingplayer worked well on AT&T wireless. Shouldn't expect anything different from the iPad 3G.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
It's passable, but I can't complain, I won my SlingPlayer Classic from a giveaway on JKonTheRun.com a few years ago. I yanked it out of the attic, wiped off the dust, bought SlingPlayer Mobile from the App Store and gave it a whirl using my then-iPhone 3GS and my wife's iPad. Fun stuff. Can't wait to try it on my iPad+3G this Friday.

Coincidentally, I won the Hava Titanium WiFi HD from a TiPB.com contest last month. While it offers HD streaming, the software is rather weak - no Mac support yet, the virtual remote tuner doesn't work in Windows Media Center, the application doesn't open full-screen when launched, and the iPhone app they have crashes on the iPad. I contacted Monsoon Multimedia (their new name) and it appears that they're in the middle of a relaunch with their product line named Vulcano, so it will be "a month or two" before an iPad-compatible version or update to the current version is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.