Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

lordhamster, do you find the 12 Pro Max gigantic or overly big as so many reviewers have been saying? Coming from the Pixel 4 XL, on paper they seem pretty similar in overall size compared to each other, just the weight differeme on 12PM. What's your honest impression of using the iPhone 12 Pro Max, in regards to szie, is it too large and too heavy?​

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It’s not about having the same brand of headphones as my phone. The airpods work better with my iPhone and other Apple devices than any other wireless earbuds.

A few examples:

Once I pair my airpods to my iPhone, they are automatically paired to all my other Apple devices. I don’t need to manually pair them to my other apple devices.

The AirPods will switch between my devices automatically. So if they are connected to my iPhone and I’m listening to music and change my mind and decided that I want to watch a video on my iPad. As soon as I start playing a video on my iPad the airpods will automatically switch to the audio from my iPad.

The airpods have wireless Siri. I can use Siri on the airpods to send messages, make calls, get information, start, music play back, set timers, add events to my calendar. All without taking my phone out of my pocket. None of the other wireless earbuds with voice assistants will intgrate as well with my phone as well as Siri.

If I’m listening to music and I get a message Siri will read it out to me.

These are all features that I wouldn’t get with another pair of wireless earbuds.
Yeah, if Airpods truly do do that across the devices then that is a good thing. I only have a phone and Tablet, no watch and my Samsung Tablet is 5 years old so my JBL's dont do that with them together.

It may be the Tablet is too old and my phone isnt a SS. It is a Pixel and since ive had the 4a, i have got 2 newer JBL buds that do more than my others. They work independantly from each other. I can use the right or left one on their own and they work. My other ones just the right one works by itself.

You can use Google asst or Alexa (must pick one of them) and i have used it but i havent asked it to do tasks so ill have to try that out as this is new from my other ones.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah, if Airpods truly do do that across the devices then that is a good thing. I only have a phone and Tablet, no watch and my Samsung Tablet is 5 years old so my JBL's dont do that with them together.

It may be the Tablet is too old and my phone isnt a SS. It is a Pixel and since ive had the 4a, i have got 2 newer JBL buds that do more than my others. They work independantly from each other. I can use the right or left one on their own and they work. My other ones just the right one works by itself.

You can use Google asst or Alexa (must pick one of them) and i have used it but i havent asked it to do tasks so ill have to try that out as this is new from my other ones.
The google Assistant and Alexa can do more however Apple restrict what they can do without opening the app on iOS as Apple restrict what they can do. So hence why they AirPods are the best option if you want to use a voice assistant hands free on wireless ear buds.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Agreed on Siri

I think for what i use Siri for it works well. It seems far more responsive than it used to be. It is smarter with IOS 14 and while not bought the HomePod mini i have found it to be dependable with the series 6 for commands and timers e.t.c....

I have a few google homes so if i do need a better answer got the options i guess to use it but HomePod mini with it’s updated features i think in a household would work well certainly as it fits the ecosystem if you all have apple products.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It’s a shame you can't (as far as I know) use the homepod/homepod mini with iTunes unless you have an Apple Music subscription. Last time I had AM I lost access to loads of cds I'd ripped and put on my phone. Never again.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
For me, the Apple ecosystem is a waste of money.

Buying a computer so that it communicates well with the phone? I do not think so.

Watch? It shows the time. I don't want notifications on my wrist. I avoid notifications at all, except for my immediate family.

iPad? Does not need. Nice to browse the internet but the world is not internet :) I sold it.

Apple TV, Apple Music, Spotify, Netflix - I don't use it.

I have great Sony headphones for Jack because my phone supports them. I listen to my CDs that I have on the memory card in my phone.
Yeah, not knocking those who enjoy the integration and its ecosystem. I could never get beyond an Ipod Touch 5, (1st gen) Ipad Air, and Ipod Classic, so this is why I could never delved beyond those devices Apple-wise.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I’ve been looking at getting back into Apple’s products because I’ve been seeing a lot of places which are interested in knowledge and experience with them. So, yesterday, I took the plunge and bought an iPhone 11.

Color me unimpressed. I mean, it looks nice and there are certain aspects of the UI which are cool, but everything seems so limited and it feels like I put on a pair of handcuffs. It’s not even a matter of me being heavily invested in Google’s ecosystem: all I have had is an Android-running phone. However, I’ve had to graft onto it Google’s apps (and it feels very much grafted on) and then of course you cannot just take the phone and plug it into any computer to add or remove files.

Apple’s apps are cool, and I guess I can see how if someone is really into doing a lot of multimedia production work, they would be cool to use, but is that all Apple’s much ballyhooed ecosystem is about?

I had gotten it thinking it would be a good idea to have the hardware so I could become familiar with it and claim the relevant expertise on my resume, but who seriously needs to own one of these things just for that, unless you’re literally staring at zero and know nothing about smart phones and other modern mobile devices?

Anyhow, I’m taking this back to Apple today. My Moto G Power is eminently more useful than this thing is.

They're very much alike.

Years ago, I started with an Android smart phone and a 2nd generation iPod touch. I switched to an iPhone 4S, Google Nexus 7 tablet (actually both models). I was interested in an Android phone, but considered that Google couldn't make their operating system work smoothly with their own tablet, they probably couldn't do better with their phones. Apple did better.

I don't know how much you transfer files, but I've never found it that much easier. Use what you want but you have to spend more than a day or two without the other to really understand it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.