Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Normally I would put the Sport band on over my bed or couch but was in a bit of a rush. I am sure you can see where this is heading... while attempting to put the irritating-to-size band on (sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes longer :mad:) the Watch fell roughly three, maybe four, feet onto the wood floor. It seemed fine immediately afterward so surprisingly I was not worried when I picked it up. I have gone over this over and over: there is absolutely no damage. Even after checking under bright light and wiping it off with a microfiber. Slightly impressed but the iPhone can withstand drops just as well. It seems the Sport may be more durable than we give it credit.

Edit: wow, left out Watch in the title.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
One man's damage free drop is another man's shattered <insert any device>. It's really just luck of the draw (drop).

I dropped an iPod Classic onto a pillow from 2 feet up and it killed the hard drive. Just sayin'.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
That's unfortunate that the watch took a tumble but it's awesome that it didn't sustain any damage. Dropped my 6+ onto floor tiling from about 5 feet up face down I thought I cracked the screen. Not even a blemish on the screen or casing. The iPhone gods were with me on that day. 9/10 that wouldn't have turned out so well.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
One man's damage free drop is another man's shattered <insert any device>. It's really just luck of the draw (drop).

I dropped an iPod Classic onto a pillow from 2 feet up and it killed the hard drive. Just sayin'.

By the way, would like to mention that I have never dropped an iPhone. Only times it's fallen involved it falling out of my pocket. Ironic I drop my Watch within days :eek:.

Last edited:

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
By the way, would like to mention that I have never dropped an iPhone. Only times it's fallen involved it falling out my pocket. Ironic I drop my Watch within days :eek:.

Well just count your blessings that it didn't do any damage. I'm sure your heart sank when you saw it tumble. It's like it's in slow motion when things like that happen.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I don't think the sport band is hard to put on at all. its rather genius IMO. It looked hard in videos until I went in for a try on and saw how the rep puts it on you. You simply put the hole on the long strap over the metal "dot" to feel and click it down. Once thats done you simply slip the remaining strap into the slot. I have never had an issue with my sport band.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I don't think the sport band is hard to put on at all. its rather genius IMO. It looked hard in videos until I went in for a try on and saw how the rep puts it on you. You simply put the hole on the long strap over the metal "dot" to feel and click it down. Once thats done you simply slip the remaining strap into the slot. I have never had an issue with my sport band.

That's the way I do it. Sometimes it's a bit more difficult and I have trouble getting the band over the right hole while fitting it on the wrist. I'm sure it'll get quicker with practice.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
first, i'm in the camp that doesn't think the sport band is hard to put on at all (and i love that the excess strap.... which im my case is considerable... is hidden away under the band!)

i think possibly if you had dropped your watch on concrete or tile, there might have been a different outcome. wood is "softer" than tile or concrete.

i know if i drop a glass in my kitchen it's more likely to break on the tile than anywhere else in the house where there's wood....

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Here's a 5 ft drop on concrete. Was putting on a backpack and the watch got caught on the strap and my leather loop band tore off my wrist. I have a replacement initiated through AppleCare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 379

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Here's a 5 ft drop on concrete. Was putting on a backpack and the watch got caught on the strap and my leather loop band tore off my wrist. I have a replacement initiated through AppleCare.

Concrete I would be extremely cautious about but there isn't even a micro scratch on mine. You might have been able to return it free regardless considering it's still new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.