Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Hi!

I partitioned by new My Passport into two partitions. The first one (used for my files) I encrypted in Finder (right-click on the drive icon and click on "encrypt"), the second one (used for Time Machine) I encrypted through the Time Machine setting.

At that point, Disk Utility starting showing the two partitions as belonging to two separate drives. Why not as one drive with two partitions (which is what it is really and the way it was before I turned on encryption for Time Machine)?

Here's a screenshot of what I mean (also compare to to my other drive with two (un-encrypted) partitions that shows up correctly as a single drive):

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-30%20at%2022.22.16.png

Here's what Terminal says:

Notice how disk1s2 is the same as disk3 and disk1s4 is the same as disk3! Why do these appear twice in diskutil list?

Code:
diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh               499.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         1.7 TB     disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk1s3
   4:          Apple_CoreStorage                         319.9 GB   disk1s4
   5:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk1s5
/dev/disk2
   0:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine           *319.6 GB   disk2
/dev/disk3
   0:                  Apple_HFS External               *1.7 TB     disk3
/dev/disk4
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS External.backup         1.7 TB     disk4s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh.backup        339.9 GB   disk4s3

Last edited:

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The extra disks are virtual disks that represent the unencrypted data. That's normal. Remember your original partitions are now encrypted so you can't read them directly any more.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
The extra disks are virtual disks that represent the unencrypted data. That's normal. Remember your original partitions are now encrypted so you can't read them directly any more.

Hi. Thanks, makes sense!

Another question: why are there two recovery partitions (Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB) on the drive? Is this something required either by Time Machine (if so, then why two?) or the encryption process? The other drive does not have them.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi. Thanks, makes sense!

Another question: why are there two recovery partitions (Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB) on the drive? Is this something required either by Time Machine (if so, then why two?) or the encryption process? The other drive does not have them.

Have you been messing around with a homemade Fusion drive? That is usually where that boot boot 134.2 comes from. It is normal to have one of those on the second drive part of the Fusion, but not two. You may have following bad instructions for making the Fusion.

Give this a look.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Have you been messing around with a homemade Fusion drive? That is usually where that boot boot 134.2 comes from. It is normal to have one of those on the second drive part of the Fusion, but not two. You may have following bad instructions for making the Fusion.

Give this a look.

Nope. Never ever tried Fusion in my life. This is an external drive anyway.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nope. Never ever tried Fusion in my life. This is an external drive anyway.

I understand, but form the labeling, it looked like you might be using that disk as a clone target is why I asked.

I have only ever seen that 134.2 on Fusion drives, so not sure what's up there.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
I understand, but form the labeling, it looked like you might be using that disk as a clone target is why I asked.

I have only ever seen that 134.2 on Fusion drives, so not sure what's up there.

The disk had been freshly formatted just prior to taking the screenshot/copying info from Terminal.

Last edited:

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Ok, I figured this out by formatting and playing around with another external hard drive.

The extra Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB partition gets created with every encrypted partition on the drive (i.e., # of encrypted partitions = # of Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB partitions). I dare not remove it/them lest I lose all data on the encrypted partition(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.