Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Works pretty great. Not sure why Microsoft half assed their phone app for windows. Dell Mobile connect can be installed on any PC with an easy work around through the Microsoft App Store.

Here’s what I did:

1. Login to Windows App Store on your BROWSER, not the actual app store application on Windows.

2. Search Dell Mobile Connect

3. Click on the 3 dots located next to GET, and select add to cart.

4. Check out (it's a free app, don't worry)

5. After checking out and "purchasing," open the Microsoft Store application on Windows.

6. Login if you haven't logged in on the Microsoft Store app. Click the three dots on the top right hand corner, go to My Library and download Dell Mobile Connect.

7. Follow the instructions after you install it. It will also make you download the app onto your phone from the AppStore

8. After you install it, make sure you allow all the requested permission on your phone (again follow the instructions carefully), download the required Dell Mobile App drivers and restart.

9. Launch the app on your phone and Windows

10. Congratulate yourself

eae1b317b8d4442e43cca71c1ca5cd5a.jpg

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Did this too a while back, but the app is pretty underwhelming. It does not show old messages, does not support any media... I mean, it's better than nothing, but still not good enough :)

Reactions: soulreaver99

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When I first transitioned from mac to pc, this was one of the "killer" apps that I missed terribly, but now after being away from the platform for a couple of years, I've adapted. I'm not diminishing the utility and ease of having messages on the computer but since I always had my phone with me, its lose wasn't as great as I first thought it would be

Reactions: soulreaver99

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Did this too a while back, but the app is pretty underwhelming. It does not show old messages, does not support any media... I mean, it's better than nothing, but still not good enough :)

I agree it’s not perfect by any means but yes, it is better than nothing and better than Microsoft’s app which is practically “nothing” for iPhones lol.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It does allow you to mirror you phone screen on the PC's display. I've got it installed on my Dell and it does work surprisingly well. But since I've always got my Apple watch on, like maflynn says, it's kind of redundant. Plus, sometimes the iPhone would try to use my PC as a bluetooth device for phone calls, resulting in me having to frantically change the audio device while answering a call. And since the phone has to be in bluetooth range anyway, I decided I just didn't need it running full time on my PC.

Eventually I quit having it auto-launch at startup. But it does work pretty well for duplicating some functionality that macOS has insofar as integrating with iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.