Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
i spilled a can of pepsi on my g4 17" powerbook. i ran and got a vaccuum immediadetly and removed all the keys. got all of it out. the only damage is the 0 key is hard to press (big strain to press it there haha). also a book on my shelf pushed the pepsi off to spill it. the same book immediatly after pushing the pepsi off decided after i finished cleaning the pepsi up to knock my ttape despenser off and put a good dent in the right side. needless to say the book was murdered.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
I once saw on a Gadget Show in the UK, how to rescue your equipment if you spill any liquids on it.

Well basically,

If you have access to a Haleogen Desk Lamp - Just leave it under that for 24/48 hours, and it should be dry.

The aluminium casing should act as a conductor making it easier for the coffee inside to dry up.

You should try this, because It actually worked for people on the TV and for myself when i dropped my digital camera in a puddle of water.

esbern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
hey everybody, thanks for all the tips. I was away in Boston (seeing my favorite band :) ) and got back recently. The powerbook, after leaving it in a rather warm part of my house, still does not turn on.

There are a few things I plan on trying.

First, I'd like to mention that I drank the coffee black...no milk or sugar. The computer, though, still smells like coffee.

The plan is to take it apart, wash it down this weekend, put all the parts in the warm part of my house (effectively doing the blowdryer advice that i've heard from a few people), and then trying to turn it back on.

I, of course, am going to get some deionized water before I try this little experiment out.

Any tips on washing the equipment?

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Piece of adive to anyone else : If anyone electronics come into water DO NOT turn them on until 48 or more hours, most equiment can stand in water and still survive, the only times rhings go wrong is when someone tries to turn it on to see if it still works.

PS. ive killed a PC powersupply by leaving the case open and some idiot putting water on the PC, we just left it to dry over night got the PSU replaced and it was back and kicking

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I ruined a PB 12" by spilling something on it. I determined I didn't have the gentle facilities to own a notebook as I am rather clumsy so for the last few years I have owned an eMac.

I miss using a notebook so much though that I think my next computer will be one and I will purchase acccidental insurance through SafeWare. http://www.safeware.com

Does anyone know if they are reputable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.