Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I‘ve used the betas since 13.0 and I can tell you it’s far better than it used to be. iOS 13.2.2 on my phone and 13.3 beta on my iPad. Things have stabilized for the most part. Using Exchange and Gmail.

Reactions: dk001

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Any large corporation using iPhones and the IOS Mail app will be screaming bloody murder. They could have 100's or 1000's of users unable to properly use mail and the IT services phone number will be ringing off the hook. You would think those large companies would have a large influence on Apple. They could easily threaten to go Android.

Except they don't, exactly because they gave up on Apple's bugs and also lack of features and manageability issues long ago.

Companies in the Microsoft ecosystem have Outlook, Google G Apps use the GMail app, and there's a number of third-party corporate clients as well. At minimum, these clients are far more feature rich than Apple's, with things like intelligent reply, cloud storage integration, global address books, etc.

In all of these cases, Microsoft and Google strongly suggest to corporate customers using first-party clients simply because there's "one neck to choke".

ablatt

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Except they don't, exactly because they gave up on Apple's bugs and also lack of features and manageability issues long ago.

Companies in the Microsoft ecosystem have Outlook, Google G Apps use the GMail app, and there's a number of third-party corporate clients as well. At minimum, these clients are far more feature rich than Apple's, with things like intelligent reply, cloud storage integration, global address books, etc.

In all of these cases, Microsoft and Google strongly suggest to corporate customers using first-party clients simply because there's "one neck to choke".

Well if most Exchange shops are using Outlook for IOS then yes, they wouldn't care whether the IOS mail app works or not. However, since the recent serious IOS mail bugs started with IOS 13, you'd still think they'd be fixed by 13.2.2. A lot of people still use IOS mail for contacts integration and embedded link compatability including Exchange online and outlook.com users.

Reactions: orbital~debris

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What I don't understand, about this, is I haven't seen any major change in the mail app which would cause changes, which would cause problems such as this. If they completely redesigned app - maybe but what other than not working has really changed.

Didn't anyone see this in Beta testing and report it? I don't remember reading about this type of not working in the Beta
They could completely redesign various backend pieces of it that wouldn’t necessarily change anything visually.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
They could completely redesign various backend pieces of it that wouldn’t necessarily change anything visually.
And that is what I think has happened. Is Mail.app just a front-end for iCloud? Are Exchange users of Mail.app handled at the backend in stead of actually on the iOS device?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
And that is what I think has happened. Is Mail.app just a front-end for iCloud? Are Exchange users of Mail.app handled at the backend in stead of actually on the iOS device?

Absolutely not. There's severe privacy and security problems with that approach.

iCloud mail is just IMAP anyway. Apple doesn't have the expertise to design their own mail server and protocol, unlike Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft. They're merely running an old Oracle Communications Messaging Suite server (formerly Sun Java System Messaging Server, formerly Netscape Messaging Server).

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Try not to jump to conclusions. Enjoy your phones. So you have to pull to refresh an app, it's not the end of the world.

It can be pretty hard to "enjoy your phones" when a mission-critical app like Mail doesn't work - and if you thin that refreshing the app is the only problem, you need to read a little more in this forum.

Yes, I choose to focus my resources on finding a workaround instead of complaining. The attitude is very strange in the world today. I understand that I am not popular.. and I'm ok with that.

Complaining clearly doesn't work, since these complaints have been present - and continually been the subject of the Apple feedback process - since the beginning of the beta and many users are still experiencing them now. Please explain for us how your breezy attitude helps people whose software functionality has been and remains broken?

The biggest issue is the app can no longer be counted upon.

Great summary - but this ^^^ is possibly the biggest point for me.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Didn't anyone see this in Beta testing and report it? I don't remember reading about this type of not working in the Beta

100% yes. There are STILL open bug reports from the Beta cycle if you have a developer beta installed and look in the Feedback app. I have at least 5-10 still open with numerous other people reporting the same from June to now.

They simply appear to be ignoring it like it doesnt exist.

Reactions: thewhitehart

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Both.
Default view won’t stick.
Deleted emails randomly reappear.
Notifications may or may not show.
Downloading some attachments, even viewing some attachments fails.
Mails do not load until after you access the app. SOmetimes you have to manually refresh
Sometimes the badge matches the count, other times not.
Forward usually works correctly. Usually. That’s to and from that has issues.
Notifications do not sync across all my Apple devices.
and others.

The biggest issue is the app can no longer be counted upon. I have far far fewer issues using Gmail app and have had no issues with my Protonmail app. I could see if Apple had performed major changes to email or the underlying functionality. I have not seen any indication of this in any of the release notes.
- I haven't noticed issues with deleted emails.
- I don't use email notifications due to volume.
- Attachments download.
- I recently turned off push, so I don't know if push works or not. However, manual refresh works fine.
- No badge count on app.

As with many others e-mail is an important part of day to day. I can't say I have had issues getting, responding or forward email using the email app on ios 13.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
- I haven't noticed issues with deleted emails.
- I don't use email notifications due to volume.
- Attachments download.
- I recently turned off push, so I don't know if push works or not. However, manual refresh works fine.
- No badge count on app.

As with many others e-mail is an important part of day to day. I can't say I have had issues getting, responding or forward email using the email app on ios 13.

So, I'm confused. Does this mean that the rest of us aren't experiencing any of these issues either, or possibly that these are unimportant issues to other people?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So, I'm confused. Does this mean that the rest of us aren't experiencing any of these issues either, or possibly that these are unimportant issues to other people?
For one, the person I quoted seems to highlight the difference between working and working perfectly, which is what I was trying to emphasize.

There is a lot of grey area between a mail app with no bugs, vs a mail app that loses incoming emails and outgoing emails never make it "out the door". Bugs with badges, etc, for sure are bugs, but in my view that doesn't stop the user from reading and replying to emails.

But you can spin this any which way. And maybe a percentage of users who use the mail app the way I do and merrily go on with their email lives.

Last edited:

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, I understand and agree. I'm not trying to discount anything here and I apologize if my choice of words was poor. I'm merely saying that, if something doesn't work then it's time to switch to something that does work. If iOS 13 doesn't work, then don't use iOS 13. I find it concerning that a business would put all of their eggs in one basket.
[automerge]1573399234[/automerge]

Yes, I choose to focus my resources on finding a workaround instead of complaining. The attitude is very strange in the world today. I understand that I am not popular.. and I'm ok with that.

I'm one who hasn't upgraded yet to iOS 13 on either my personal phone or my business issued iPhone, but I'd love to since that's also holding back my upgrade of Watch OS. My company monitors which apps are going on phones and we're not permitted to use an alternative email address for business. Native mail is fine, but despite my company's use of Exchange servers and other Microsoft products, I am not able to use Outlook on an iOS device which makes absolutely no sense to me but I'm not in IT and don't make those decisions. I'm a lowly user there so on 12.4.1 I stay. On personal and business devices.

I get your point, complaining on a forum does nothing, and it would be far more productive to submit feedback to Apple, report bugs and communicate with them to make them aware of how widespread this is impacting the user experience. It's sad that in 2019, a fundamental application for productivity, such as Mail doesn't work as it should and doesn't seem to be getting much attention. This would be frustrating if iPhones were only used for personal and non-business tasks, but that's far from the case. Considering how many businesses rely on iOS, it's quite frankly disappointing. I'm hopeful there are fixes coming soon, eventually there will be. I get it, prioritize those who purchased the latest devices first to keep them happy and keep sales coming in but again, Mail in 2019.

My point and I think a few others are trying to make is for some users, there may NOT be a good viable option.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Please explain for us how your breezy attitude helps people whose software functionality has been and remains broken?
I could tell you, but your previous post leads me to believe that you don't want to hear anything that doesn't feed your agenda (i.e. it'd be a waste of time). Have a nice day.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm one who hasn't upgraded yet to iOS 13 on either my personal phone or my business issued iPhone, but I'd love to since that's also holding back my upgrade of Watch OS. My company monitors which apps are going on phones and we're not permitted to use an alternative email address for business. Native mail is fine, but despite my company's use of Exchange servers and other Microsoft products, I am not able to use Outlook on an iOS device which makes absolutely no sense to me but I'm not in IT and don't make those decisions. I'm a lowly user there so on 12.4.1 I stay. On personal and business devices.

I get your point, complaining on a forum does nothing, and it would be far more productive to submit feedback to Apple, report bugs and communicate with them to make them aware of how widespread this is impacting the user experience. It's sad that in 2019, a fundamental application for productivity, such as Mail doesn't work as it should and doesn't seem to be getting much attention. This would be frustrating if iPhones were only used for personal and non-business tasks, but that's far from the case. Considering how many businesses rely on iOS, it's quite frankly disappointing. I'm hopeful there are fixes coming soon, eventually there will be. I get it, prioritize those who purchased the latest devices first to keep them happy and keep sales coming in but again, Mail in 2019.

My point and I think a few others are trying to make is for some users, there may NOT be a good viable option.

Same here, btw. Corporate email requirements allow =only= the native Mail app. Outlook is not an option (which continues to surprise me, but no one asked me to make IT policy).

As an aside, the amount of denial in this thread is mind-boggling.

Reactions: jpn and drmorley

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
My ALL INBOX view only has the emails in it starting from the day i upgraded to iOS 13. If i want to look at any of my emails prior to that day, I have to open the individual inbox. When it comes to productivity, this single inconvenience has bothered me to no end.

ablatt

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
You may be able to argue that mail works if the iPhone was a Mattel toy and not a $1,000 or more supposed top-of-the-line device.

Apple markets itself as a competent business ecosystem - https://www.apple.com/business/ - and isn't delivering lately.

All their keyboard problems, screen problems, T2 chip problems, Catalina problems, IOS problems etc. are clear evidence of that. It's obvious the company has lost some quality control over their products, both hardware and software. Some of that happens naturally as part of the development cycle, some of it is sloppy and incompetent.

This issue with email is a real problem for many users. Apple devotees will make excuses saying it mostly works, or just switch to something else if you don't like it. That works for them, but I doubt for most of us experiencing email issues.

And Apple stops signing previous IOS versions pretty quickly, so you can't just go back to IOS 12 if you wanted to.

As I said in another post, they may be king of the hill right now, but all this slowly erodes confidence in the brand and one day maybe enough to finally say I'm switching to Windows or an Android mobile device. So taking this long to fix issues, whether due to incompetence or not caring, is playing with fire.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
We must remember that we don't have enough knowledge/expertise about the inner workings of Apple, iOS or iCloud to be able to make any type of determination about the problem or whom to blame. These issues could be a problem with the iCloud source code and don't require an iOS update for all we know.

Try not to jump to conclusions. Enjoy your phones. So you have to pull to refresh an app, it's not the end of the world.

Sorry I have an iPad Pro, paid over a $1000 so that I can work on it, and I need the mail app to work on my Exchange account. It's not about iCloud — and it's also not about inner workings. It's about me paying a lot of money for a device that doesn't work.

If this was for any other device — a car, a fridge, a bike nobody would find it strange when people complain about something not working. Imagine your fridge only cooling half of the time, or your car only steering to the left. Why is this any different? I am not here to enjoy my iPad, I am here because I use it for work. I paid for it, it is advertised as a pro device suitable for email, and it should work as such.
[automerge]1573476158[/automerge]
Same here, btw. Corporate email requirements allow =only= the native Mail app. Outlook is not an option (which continues to surprise me, but no one asked me to make IT policy).

As an aside, the amount of denial in this thread is mind-boggling.

This is because the ActiveSync protocol can specify additional requirements set by your administrator, such as remote device wiping and encryption. Outlook on iOS cannot provide this, due to iOS restrictions, and only the native mail app can.

I'm in the same boat. Can't use any other clients on iOS.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This issue with email is a real problem for many users. Apple devotees will make excuses saying it mostly works, or just switch to something else if you don't like it. That works for them, but I doubt for most of us experiencing email issues....
What does “mostly works” even mean? That email is delivered 75% of the time? Or if the badge count is broken, the entirety of the app is not working? Or if the email app is working for you, you’re labeled as a “devotee”?

Reactions: jpn

Dovydas

Suspended
Nov 2, 2019
What does “mostly works” even mean? That email is delivered 75% of the time? Or if the badge count is broken, the entirety of the app is not working? Or if the email app is working for you, you’re labeled as a “devotee”?
My problems are these:

1. Notifications are late or don't come at all and I see that new emails have arrived only when I open Mail app.
2. Marking emails as read does not remove mail badge.

In my opinion Mail app is broken and needs to be reengineered from scratch because clearly that code is trash. I don't remember time when it worked properly at all.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Sorry I have an iPad Pro, paid over a $1000 so that I can work on it, and I need the mail app to work on my Exchange account. It's not about iCloud — and it's also not about inner workings. It's about me paying a lot of money for a device that doesn't work.

If this was for any other device — a car, a fridge, a bike nobody would find it strange when people complain about something not working. Imagine your fridge only cooling half of the time, or your car only steering to the left. Why is this any different? I am not here to enjoy my iPad, I am here because I use it for work. I paid for it, it is advertised as a pro device suitable for email, and it should work as such.
You're right, it should work.. I'm not discounting that. But, when it doesn't work.. then it's time to find something that does work. So, what does work? What can you use in place of the expensive iPad that you chose to buy? I wonder if it would be to your advantage to change your practices such that you don't need to spend a lot of money on an iPad in the future? I'm just trying to reason out a way would alleviate this suffering the next time an Apple product fails to meet your needs. If you can't do your job without an iPad, then I would think it's time to find a new job so this sort of thing never happens again.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My problems are these:

1. Notifications are late or don't come at all and I see that new emails have arrived only when I open Mail app.
2. Marking emails as read does not remove mail badge.

In my opinion Mail app is broken and needs to be reengineered from scratch because clearly that code is trash. I don't remember time when it worked properly at all.

This is my badge, don’t know or care if it’s working. Not to say, it shouldn’t work right. But as I said, the app appears to be working.

Attachments

• A7AFCE33-C6D4-4EA4-8819-46D8DA15CEFB.jpeg
    A7AFCE33-C6D4-4EA4-8819-46D8DA15CEFB.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 177

Dovydas

Suspended
Nov 2, 2019
This is my badge, don’t know or care if it’s working.
Well that's your problem. It is not working as designed and has to be fixed, if it is not working as intended and isn't being fixed then why is it even there to begin with.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I haven't had any issues at all with Mail on iOS13/iPadOS. I use iCloud as my primary email, always get all my messages and notifications. Also use GSuite and they also come in and I always get my emails. I used the beta from day one and now using the latest stable. I never experienced any of the issues mentioned here. My Mac Mail also works fine and I know some people have had issues there also.

Dovydas

Suspended
Nov 2, 2019
I haven't had any issues at all with Mail on iOS13/iPadOS. I use iCloud as my primary email, always get all my messages and notifications. Also use GSuite and they also come in and I always get my emails. I used the beta from day one and now using the latest stable. I never experienced any of the issues mentioned here. My Mac Mail also works fine and I know some people have had issues there also.
Some bugs are intermittent or occur in specific conditions. If you haven't experienced any issues does not mean there aren't any. This is a logical fallacy.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
You're right, it should work.. I'm not discounting that. But, when it doesn't work.. then it's time to find something that does work. So, what does work? What can you use in place of the expensive iPad that you chose to buy? I wonder if it would be to your advantage to change your practices such that you don't need to spend a lot of money on an iPad in the future? I'm just trying to reason out a way would alleviate this suffering the next time an Apple product fails to meet your needs. If you can't do your job without an iPad, then I would think it's time to find a new job so this sort of thing never happens again.

Thank you. Don't blame the company that failed. Blame the user for selecting a product that does not work as advertised.

Apple product failing to meet my needs ≠ Apple product not working as it should/advertised

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.