Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
As somebody who hasn't worked with the beta program and is unfamiliar with how device profiling works, I just wanted to confirm somewhere that iPads cannot be updated with iOS 13 come this Thursday. Trying to prioritize a bug fix on iOS/iPadOS 13, but it's a substantially lower priority if iPads can't install iOS 13 Thursday.

Please don't skewer me if this is a stupid question; I just haven't seen this question answered explicitly since the release dates were announced. I know iPads aren't listed as supported devices for iOS, but I'm just neurotic and looking for validation. I gather that iOS and iPadOS were initially supposed to release concurrently, and I'm not sure what safeties are in place to ensure iPads can't update from iOS 12.x to iOS 13.0.

Thanks!

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
Before iOS 13 GM was release everyone beta testing iPhone/iPad had iOS 13 beta 8. Then we were surprised that rather than getting 13 beta 9, we got 13.1 beta 1 followed by the 13 GM. The 13 GM was iPhone only. 13.1 beta (now 3) is iOS/iPad OS.

So at this point in time there is no way to put anything but 13.1 beta 3 on an iPad.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
This is the most confusing update cycle to date. And it has me concerned about the OS that's going to be on my new 11 Pro Max that's arriving Friday, because the developers I know who got the iOS 13 GM are saying it's the most bug-riddled OS they've seen in quite some time. That could be quite jarring after the wonderfully uneventful rollout of iOS 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.