Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I'm trying to get a Windows 10 dual boot on my dads 2012 Mini, and good god I've had an easier job getting Windows 10 on old 32bit Macs.
Apple says to update to Mojave to fix this error, well obviously that's not the problem.
As you can see the drive is absolutely no where near full, and could actually fit about 50 windows 10 installation disks. How can I fix this? Or should I just f*** myself as apple clearly wants.
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 4.54.11 PM.png

Traace

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
I never messed with bootcamp for multi-boot tbh.

But my simple solution was always: Create a proper windows efi usb installer with Rufus and another windows. Then install reEfind bootloader to a intel mac and create some empty fat32 partitions on your preferred drive, Afterwards use reEfind to boot windows installer usb, install windows to a empty partition, profit.

Whats important is that windows installer needs to be booted in efi-mode in order to write to GPT. Legacy boot gives a error. The key is to create a efi bootable usb installer. Thats why Rufus is amazing.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
What Traace said. I would use Windows to create the installation medium. You can use Rufus or MS's own MediaCreationTool to do that.

Reactions: Traace

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I did use MS's own tool to create it first. That didn't work.
I forgot about rufus though..Always seem to.
Anyways, I downloaded an older version of window 10 and it worked. Of course that left me with 3 hours of updating to 1809, but at least it works.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I did use MS's own tool to create it first. That didn't work.
I forgot about rufus though..Always seem to.
Anyways, I downloaded an older version of window 10 and it worked. Of course that left me with 3 hours of updating to 1809, but at least it works.
Whatever version you install, you'll soon get hours of updating to do. MS's updates are still clunky and slow, unfortunately.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Oh, I know. I've been dreading the day I decide to boot into windows on my Mac Pro again. It's been a good few months.
Uh-oh. No lie, it took about 12 hours on one machine I have. Because I hadn't booted it up in months, I skipped a major-ish update so it decided to update to that first before starting the process all over again for the latest update. All the checking in between took hours.

Reactions: Traace

Traace

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Uh-oh. No lie, it took about 12 hours on one machine I have. Because I hadn't booted it up in months, I skipped a major-ish update so it decided to update to that first before starting the process all over again for the latest update. All the checking in between took hours.

worst case with this new windows 10 is "updates coudn't be applied" error at a major update. Then it sits there rollback all files more than half a hour. Just to do the same thing after next shutdown again :mad: Crazy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.