Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Logistics are all figured out?
  • Lost one?
  • Lost both?
  • AppleCare?
  • One gets wet?
  • Using in the rain?
  • Dies mid call?
  • Using one at a time? ...
  • I'm sure countless others ...

I ordered 2 sets but these questions still are out there ...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Logistics are all figured out?
  • Lost one?
  • Lost both?
  • AppleCare?
  • One gets wet?
  • Using in the rain?
  • Dies mid call?
  • Using one at a time? ...
  • I'm sure countless others ...

I ordered 2 sets but these questions still are out there ...
These are all things that happen with every new product line and are sorted out. For example, when the Apple Pencil came out, what if you lost the cap, or the Lightning adapter, or need a new tip? For the Watch, what if the band breaks (before they were available separately)? The logistics of all this has now been worked out.

Specifically for AirPods:
  • Lost one: I think you'll eventually be able to buy just one via AppleCare for a reduced price, in the same way you can now buy a replacement Pencil cap
  • Lost both: Probably out of luck. Buy again.
  • AppleCare: Not yet at least. Technically if you buy AppleCare, AirPods, and an iPhone at the same time in the same transaction you might be covered under your iPhone's AppleCare, but it's a grey area
  • Wet/rain: They're not waterproof, but reviewers have used them in snow and rain without issue
  • Dies mid call: This will work the exact same as if any other Bluetooth audio device dies mid-call
  • One at a time: This is already supported and documented

Reactions: MDePew24

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Yeah I didn't see an option for AppleCare at checkout. Interesting
I don't think apple ever sold applecare on accessories...

what they did on Mac accessories was if you buy something together with a Mac, and the Mac has AppleCare, it automatically applies to the accessories as well.

plus, I guess no one will ever buy a $100 AppleCare on a $159 headphone...

Reactions: MDePew24 and edlex

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm sure if you lose one you would be able to buy separately but I doubt you will see any Apple care with these

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Regardless whatever reason, Apple made a big mistake. My interest in the Airpods has dropped. It was a "must buy" to a "try first" for me now. I still placed an order, but with intention to return them.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
What if Siri does not work/the phone is offline? Basic functionality would be just play and pause music?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I don't think apple ever sold applecare on accessories...

what they did on Mac accessories was if you buy something together with a Mac, and the Mac has AppleCare, it automatically applies to the accessories as well.

plus, I guess no one will ever buy a $100 AppleCare on a $159 headphone...

I don't think AppleCare would cost that much for them if they were to offer it. it would be proportionate to the cost of the product. At most it would probably be $20-30.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I was chatting on line with an Apple rep and they said that the airpods are are not sweat resistant and should not be used to work out.
Find it hard to believe these won't within stand normal workout sweat. it really shouldn't be any different than the earbuds in that regard.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Find it hard to believe these won't within stand normal workout sweat. it really shouldn't be any different than the earbuds in that regard.
I agree with you. But I am just relaying what was told to me by an Apple rep. I am sure they are covering themselves.

Reactions: The Game 161

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
I don't think AppleCare would cost that much for them if they were to offer it. it would be proportionate to the cost of the product. At most it would probably be $20-30.

no applecare+ for these, just regular 1yr warranty. $69 for each airpod to be replaced if damaged/lost. $69 for the charging case.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
I was chatting on line with an Apple rep and they said that the airpods are are not sweat resistant and should not be used to work out.

I read initial reviews that said it could be used for running? I guess as long as you don't sweat?

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I read initial reviews that said it could be used for running? I guess as long as you don't sweat?

My workouts are strength training and short without sweating.

When running marathons on a hot day, yes, sweating is an issue. Wrapping in cellophane would take care of any moisture.

Else, just let them dry when wet.

Thoroughly.

MrMoonUK

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UK

this is why they will be useless in the gym/sport. The only headphones I've found that don't die through sweat are Jaybirds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.