Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
...and I love it!

Keen followers of this forum may recall a few weeks ago I asked the question of “am I mad to trade an iPhone X for an XR?” And the thread was very mixed with a split of opinions on what device to have.

Ultimately my eyes decided that the XR was the one for me as it turns out I am sensitive to PWM and after a few mins in a dark room with my X my eyes would throb, well I am typing this on my XR from my car in the dark whilst I wait for my little girl to finish dance lessons and my eyes are totally fine!

Let me just say I don’t regret trading in my X at all, for me the XR is hands down the better device.

I personally prefer the size of the XR as I missed having a plus sized phone (went from 6s+ to an X) and for me the 6.1” of the XR is lovely and comfortable.

Typing on this thing is so much better than my X due to the larger keyboard for my fat sausage thumbs, and I have less typos because of it and it’s also more comfortable for longer typing sessions.

More amazingly my wife who hated my 6S+ because it was too big compared to her 6S also traded her X in for an XR and her words were “it doesn’t feel any different to my old phone” although today she did mention that on a call it felt a little bigger but not uncomfortably so.

I like the fact that the phone has gained a little girth, it’s kinda reassuring after the stupidly thin models Apple have recently put out (bent iPhone 6 I’m looking at you)

I also didn’t realise how much I missed the plus sized interface features until I no longer had them and have now got them back, landscape apps are awesome and other apps just work better for example Twitch.

The Twitch app on the X would have the video at the top and the chat at the bottom but when you clicked into the chat to type the keyboard would pop up and the video window would disappear off the top of the screen whilst you typed, effectively turning the stream into a radio show which is not good for live video game streams.
On the XR however this is no longer an issue as when you click the chat to type the screen has enough room for video/chat/keyboard all at once and it’s brilliant, such a simple thing just done so much better.

The screen for the most part is perfect, lovely and bright clear, vibrant, nice colours and good to read in daylight HOWEVER there are a few little issues.

Firstly for the most part text is crystal clear however on certain apps and websites the text can be a little blurry the Amazon app being a prime culprit, as the rest of the text is clear on other apps I believe this is a case of apps/websites not being updated to the new resolution more than an issue with the screen itself.

And secondly and this is where if you were watching lots of media on your device then an Xs Max may be better and that is the black bars on certain video sources are a little visible. Now this for me is only noticeable when you are in a pitch black room with the brightness up a little bit to see the details of the scene. Not a deal breaker by any means but if you consume a lot of media then this may be an issue. Also if you’ve never used an X or any other OLED phone prior then this won’t be an issue either, and to be honest this to me is very minor it’s only because the notch looks out of place with a glowing black area around it and it being actually black rather than the black itself.

Now the bezels, if anyone says the bezels are an issue they are just looking for excuses to spend an extra £250-350 on a phone. The bezels are barely noticeable in normal use to me, I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve always had my device in a case thus adding to the bezels anyway but to me it’s not an issue.

Battery life seems decent and certainly a lot better than my X but I’ve not really had it long enough to form a full on conclusion with that yet.

Another thing that has seriously impressed me on this phone is the signal compared to my X, yesterday I was driving around using the phone as a sat nav and it rarely dropped below 3-4bar 4G LTE and in use the speeds over LTE were far better than my X, and amazingly the GPS seemed more accurate too with the arrow accurately tracking me whereas on my X the arrow would quite often be behind where I actually am and occasionally veer off onto neighbouring streets or fields before taking a couple of minutes to realise where I actually am again.
It seems that intel may have caught up with Qualcomm finally.

The camera is also very good and seems to produce more vibrant images when compared to the X and the loss of the 2x lens doesn’t seem to be an issue yet. I do wish they would have put a little 2x button to quickly trigger the digital zoom because let’s face it on the X the 2x zoom was quite often using digital zoom anyway.

The loss of 3D Touch is not a major issue as I am getting used to the haptic replacements, I have accidentally triggered the lock screen wobble trying to quickly jump into the certain settings but that’s about it, I never used 3D Touch shortcuts on other apps on the lock screen only the settings app.
I do however miss using 3D Touch to pop out an image on Google Images on safari to have it open in full without the whole webpage around it but it’s not a major loss.

Overall I am really impressed with this phone and I personally believe this to be the phone most people should be choosing with the 128GB option being the sweet spot.

I would only consider the XS if you really couldn’t handle the larger size of the XR.

The XS Max if you travel lots and it’s your main device for media consumption and you don’t have the space or are not home often enough to use that 4K TV you could buy with the £350 you’d be saving going for the XR.

Or you take a lot of daytime bright light photos and you use the 2x zoom a lot. But personally I don’t believe the Xs/Max are worth the extra £250/350 that they ask for.

Hopefully this little review/first impressions helps those who are on the fence between XR/XS or are in a position like myself where their carrier or Apple will allow them to trade in an iPhone X after a year to upgrade.

I’m glad I did and between myself and my wife’s new contracts I am also saving nearly £30 a month too and as an extra bonus I’m only on an 18 month plan meaning we got a years newer phone for only extending the contract another 6 months.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying the X is a bad phone, just I prefer the XR and what I am gaining far outweighs what I lost by swapping to an XR.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I am glad but am worried now about the large number of people seemingly reporting problems with PMW on the latest iPhone OLED models. I hope Apple take steps to correct this.

Reactions: Stuey3D

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I am glad but am worried now about the large number of people seemingly reporting problems with PMW on the latest iPhone OLED models. I hope Apple take steps to correct this.
Only certain people seem to be sensitive to it it seems, and on a forum like this the minority can be amplified so that a problem can seem bigger than it actually is.

Myself I am sensitive to PWM but the wife had no issues with her X. Apple do have a safety notice up advising that a small minority may experience eye strain and headaches when using an iPhone X/XS/XS Max so they are aware of it. Unfortunately it’s the nature of OLED and I believe nearly all of them do it.

The only way to get away from PWM is an LCD screen such as the XR and hopefully of the rumours of Apple investing in MicroLED comes to fruition then that will give you all the benefits of OLED without PWM.
[doublepost=1547639015][/doublepost]
Battery life alone will be an improvement.
Battery life was very impressive yesterday.

Off charge at 0552 back on at 2215 with 4% left.

Through the day I made about 4 hours worth of phone calls over Bluetooth, listened to around 3 hours of music over Bluetooth, 3 hours of Twitter, 3 hours of Safari, half hour of YouTube, and some messaging thrown in for good measure.

When I created this thread I’d just finished a full day at work and was waiting for my little girl at dance class and I still had a decent chunk of battery left, whereas on my X with that kind of usage I’d have had to top up the battery after the school run before dance class but on the XR I didn’t need too.

Oh all of that internet usage was through a VPN also so extra encryption for the processor to have fun with too.

Very impressed.
[doublepost=1547639160][/doublepost]
I am also currently in the process of doing this
You won’t regret it, I haven’t.

Reactions: decafjava

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
glad you like it, I upgraded my wife from the 6S+ to the XR and she absolutely loves it. That was a very nicely written and balanced review. Well done... I'm glad you're not one of those people claiming that the XR is a better phone overall than the XS Max.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
glad you like it, I upgraded my wife from the 6S+ to the XR and she absolutely loves it. That was a very nicely written and balanced review. Well done... I'm glad you're not one of those people claiming that the XR is a better phone overall than the XS Max.
Of course not, each phone has its strengths. Personally I believe the XR to be the most balanced phone in terms of size/features/price and really should be the iPhone that most people should be choosing unless you are the specific use cases that require one of the more expensive models. The XR is as Apple put it the iPhone for everyone.

Personally I believe going forward Apple should simplify the names as follows:

iPhone XR replacement = iPhone
iPhone XS replacement = iPhone Pro
iPhone XS Max replacement = iPhone Pro XL or iPhone Max

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Very good upgrade. The battery life alone is worth it. They both have 3GB of RAM. What a lot of people so fell to realize is that the 3rd GB of RAM in the X was used to drive the dual camera. Therefore, an iPhone X is actually running the A11 with 2GB of RAM for the processor and the 3rd GB for the Dual Camera..

Same can be said of the XS and XS Max. Apple had no choice, but to put a 4th GB of RAM in the device as the Xʀ has 3 GB and not dual camera. Meaning it doesn’t need that extra GB as the Max and XS does. Had Apple released the Max and XS with 3GB of RAM instead of 4 the Xʀ would SERIOUSLY outperform both devices.

With all this said they’re all WONDERFUL devices. I own an iPhone X, XS Max and Xʀ. Though I have leaned more towards my Xʀ since it was released back in October. With all that said they’re all fantastic, but you truly can’t go wrong with any of them.

Some will prefer the Max over the Xʀ. I personally do not. I find the 6.1” design to be my “sweet” spot. Now when I try to hold my Max it seems a little bit too big. The X seems a little too small though there is only a .3” difference. I honestly just enjoy the Xʀ much better than the other 2. The battery life is much better than on the X or the Max. Which is kinda crazy considering you’d expect the Max to compare to the plus models as far as battery life is concerned. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the display on the Xʀ. Just as those who say “It has the same display as the iPhone 4” has 0 clues about display tech. Same PPI does NOT equal same display.

I truly enjoy my Xʀ and it is the longest I have used an iPhone without switching between different ones for a very long time.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Of course not, each phone has its strengths. Personally I believe the XR to be the most balanced phone in terms of size/features/price and really should be the iPhone that most people should be choosing unless you are the specific use cases that require one of the more expensive models. The XR is as Apple put it the iPhone for everyone.

Personally I believe going forward Apple should simplify the names as follows:

iPhone XR replacement = iPhone
iPhone XS replacement = iPhone Pro
iPhone XS Max replacement = iPhone Pro XL or iPhone Max
Agreed on balance. It feels comfortable for me. The 6-8 plus models, I never though were uncomfortable to hold. But the max seems uncomfortable. The xr is nice to hold without a case. It just fits my hand. The max doesn’t.
[doublepost=1547696070][/doublepost]
Very good upgrade. The battery life alone is worth it. They both have 3GB of RAM. What a lot of people so fell to realize is that the 3rd GB of RAM in the X was used to drive the dual camera. Therefore, an iPhone X is actually running the A11 with 2GB of RAM for the processor and the 3rd GB for the Dual Camera..

Same can be said of the XS and XS Max. Apple had no choice, but to put a 4th GB of RAM in the device as the Xʀ has 3 GB and not dual camera. Meaning it doesn’t need that extra GB as the Max and XS does. Had Apple released the Max and XS with 3GB of RAM instead of 4 the Xʀ would SERIOUSLY outperform both devices.

With all this said they’re all WONDERFUL devices. I own an iPhone X, XS Max and Xʀ. Though I have leaned more towards my Xʀ since it was released back in October. With all that said they’re all fantastic, but you truly can’t go wrong with any of them.

Some will prefer the Max over the Xʀ. I personally do not. I find the 6.1” design to be my “sweet” spot. Now when I try to hold my Max it seems a little bit too big. The X seems a little too small though there is only a .3” difference. I honestly just enjoy the Xʀ much better than the other 2. The battery life is much better than on the X or the Max. Which is kinda crazy considering you’d expect the Max to compare to the plus models as far as battery life is concerned. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the display on the Xʀ. Just as those who say “It has the same display as the iPhone 4” has 0 clues about display tech. Same PPI does NOT equal same display.

I truly enjoy my Xʀ and it is the longest I have used an iPhone without switching between different ones for a very long time.
Agreed on the battery life. Apple is very evasive when it comes to marketing. They’re like it’s 1.5 more than the 8 plus.

Reactions: tt061282

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Of course not, each phone has its strengths. Personally I believe the XR to be the most balanced phone in terms of size/features/price and really should be the iPhone that most people should be choosing unless you are the specific use cases that require one of the more expensive models.

I agree with this. I've had my XR for some two and a half months and have absolutely no regrets. Size, features, and price are the reasons for my purchase.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
More importantly, what colour did you get.....:)
After years of black phones I got....

Product Red and my god it looks good!

I have it in a red Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and it looks really good, so good in fact that my wife has exactly the same colour in exactly the same case. The first time that has ever happened, even when iPhones only came in one colour we always had different cases.

Ermir444

macrumors regular
May 12, 2017
It's 828p.

Maybe you should know what you're talking about before bashing a phone you've probably never laid hands on.
I own an X and tried the XR in stores a few times. Feels like a toy compared to the X and that screen is straight out of 2010. Its beyond me how people disrespect their money like that.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I own an X and tried the XR in stores a few times. Feels like a toy compared to the X and that screen is straight out of 2010. Its beyond me how people disrespect their money like that.
Please explain how it "feels like a toy". It uses that same materials that have been used in iPhones all the way back to 2012 when the iPhone 5 was released and has the same setup as the iPhone 8. Do the iPhone 8 and 8+ feel like toys too?

Get off it man.

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Please explain how it "feels like a toy". It uses that same materials that have been used in iPhones all the way back to 2012 when the iPhone 5 was released and has the same setup as the iPhone 8. Do the iPhone 8 and 8+ feel like toys too?

Get off it man.

It feels like a toy to him because he doesn’t want to admit a “cheaper” phone is actually a better phone. It makes him feel better about the current phone he owns.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The materials used on the Xr are premium. I’ll tell you what feels like a toy. The galaxy S5. We got one this week so my husband could send his note 8 off to be repaired. It’s all plastic! It’s amazing how far we’ve come since 2014.
[doublepost=1547824328][/doublepost]
After years of black phones I got....

Product Red and my god it looks good!

I have it in a red Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and it looks really good, so good in fact that my wife has exactly the same colour in exactly the same case. The first time that has ever happened, even when iPhones only came in one colour we always had different cases.
Ooh product red is nice. If I had gotten the Xr product red would have been my second choice after the coral.

Reactions: Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.