Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
;)

Attachments

• dog.JPG
    dog.JPG
    376.1 KB · Views: 71

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I tried this for a few hours at work, and I definitely noticed a pretty big difference. I checked the time multiple times and it felt weird not being able to check if I had any messages. I also was a little bugged by not being able to change my music and I had headphones in and keep my phone in my pocket. I'm sure I could get used to it again quite easily, but I am very glad with the purchase

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I tried this for a few hours at work, and I definitely noticed a pretty big difference. I checked the time multiple times and it felt weird not being able to check if I had any messages. I also was a little bugged by not being able to change my music and I had headphones in and keep my phone in my pocket. I'm sure I could get used to it again quite easily, but I am very glad with the purchase

Thanks for the first good feedback in this thread.
So you are saying, the Apple Watch gives you more convenience.

Reactions: goinskiing

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
The day after my Watch arrived I took it off the the whole day and put on my ProTrek because I was moving house and it was silly to ding it whilst shifting stuff around and disassembling the kids enormous trampoline.

I had my iPhone for notifications with me but it was nagging me that I wasn't getting exercise credit for all the hard work I was doing.

I can wear my other watches should I feel inclined, I just prefer to wear this watch.. I mean it's a watch at the end of the day - it may be extra useful, but it's a watch and I like it and prefer it.

I tend not to go probing for messages etc. I have my notifications set up just so that it tells me about things I want to know.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I have had my  Watch since last Wednesday and every day it passes, the less I think of it.

I actually think that's a good thing. As someone who always wear a watch anyways, the functionalities of the apple watch have gone from being a novelty to now being an integral part of my everyday routine without being overly intrusive.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I actually think that's a good thing. As someone who always wear a watch anyways, the functionalities of the apple watch have gone from being a novelty to now being an integral part of my everyday routine without being overly intrusive.

That could be it. I am using my Watch every day and I see the benefits. I don't really need it but I have to say, two hours without it were too much for me. I have it on my wrist again...

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
The guy that bought these two gold edition watches is just crazy. The poor dog (or not so poor..)

I just wonder if the dog has chewed the life out of the sport bands yet.

On a serious note, I did go without my watch for a day this week...and didn't miss it at all. The watch is definitely a "nice to have," but certainly not a critical part of my life.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I use it to change music and check the time so often that I would likely miss it within the first few minutes of having it off. I also use it to check the temperature quite a bit because I work inside. Since I work in an office it is also nice to not have BRRRRT BRRRRRT for alerts on my hard desk. Not to mention the fact that Apple Pay is accepted almost everywhere here so I would have to take out my wallet a lot again and fight with getting a card out of the slots in it. It is just easier to not have to deal with it.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I just wonder if the dog has chewed the life out of the sport bands yet.

On a serious note, I did go without my watch for a day this week...and didn't miss it at all. The watch is definitely a "nice to have," but certainly not a critical part of my life.

Yes, it certainly is nice to have but not really needed. Maybe some day when the software and hardware matures, we will be able to do much more things with it. Right now though, it's a cool gadget and I also like using one.

hotnickels

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
This isn't supposed to be a device you need, or a device you look at and use all day long. It's supposed to be an extension of your phone, something to make some things more convenient. you can live without it just fine, just as you can live without a watch.

I think people are ultimately more upset they spent 400+ on a watch..Especially if you don't actively workout, it essentially just shows you notifications and other misc things.

It isn't for everyone, but I get the feeling people are holding it up to some crazy standards and expected it to be something they use all day long.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
Yes, it certainly is nice to have but not really needed. Maybe some day when the software and hardware matures, we will be able to do much more things with it. Right now though, it's a cool gadget and I also like using one.

It's all in what you want or expect. I've had mine for 3 weeks now, and here are three things I now find indispensable:

1. Having a wrist watch again. (For the time!)
2. Notifications, with no sound, on my wrist. I have vibration and sounds disabled on my phone, and I LOVE it. The 6+ vibration is just too obnoxious. No sounds on my watch either.
3. Activity tracking. As a programmer I sit all day, and that will help to kill me if I'm not careful. Having constant updates and reminders if I'm being too sedentary is very appreciated.

The other features are nice situationally - I've used the MLB app, weather apps, timer, stopwatch, apple pay - but it's the 3 things above that make the watch an important part of every day. Also, once I get BT headphones, being able to leave my phone at home for runs or walks will likely be #4 on the list.

Now if only the watch would update playcounts... grumble.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I like how the Watch has eliminated most of the sounds coming from my phone, including that awfully loud vibration noise (though I wouldn't mind finding a way to turn that off even for phone calls).

One of the things I like most about the watch. I get lots of reminders and notifications, and it's nice to have those come through as gentle taps instead of ringing or buzzing. Helps lower my blood pressure.

----------

The premise of this thread reminds me of when the retina display first came out on the iPhone 4. People debated whether the higher resolution made enough of a difference to really matter. Many said it didn't. Some weren't sure. But spending a month with the better display, and then looking back at an old one, really made the difference obvious.

wanderfowl

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Michigan, US
I went one step further and sold my Sport, ordering a "July" Stainless model.

My thought, like yours, was that it had faded to the background. If I didn't miss it, and was content going back to my Pebble Steel, I just saved myself $700 (and made $100 on the sale!). But if I missed it, proving it was a meaningful improvement on the Pebble, I could wait out the order.

In conclusion, despite the well-functioning Pebble Steel on my wrist, I've checked my 42 SS BSB order status 4 times today.

Ship, damn you!

echo4sierra

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
Gnarnia
I ordered a 38 SS BCB when they were shipping and arriving in 3 days. The BCB wasn't my first choice in a band-and I didn't really like it and didn't know how often I'd really be wearing it. Plus-it's been hot and humid and I didn't like sweating with it on. Today, though, green sport band arrived and it's like it's a totally different watch! Joy!

Had a busy day at an elementary school-needed to go to different classrooms at different times throughout the day. Loaded the schedule into Reminders and a quick peek at the watch told me where to go. So much less conspicuous than pulling out a phone. Plus-weather alerted me to thunderstorms on way home. I've become used to the watch being very helpful in getting through a day. I use iCal and Reminders much more now. And get up out of my chair and walk more, too. So keeping the watch on!

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I have had my  Watch since last Wednesday and every day it passes, the less I think of it. That isn't necessarily bad, but I am still unsure if I want it in my life.
I decided to do an experiment. I will just take off my  Watch and see how I feel about it, if I miss it at all.

Has anybody tried to do the same?

I wear my watches in rotation. I don't "miss" my Apple Watch when not wearing it. I also noticed that I don't have the "crave" to wear the watch in comparison to other watches I own where I feel the need to wear a certain piece one day.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I actually find myself wearing mine more than I wore the Pebble Steel (which was already almost always).

It's just an incredibly nice watch and impressive device.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I have had my  Watch since last Wednesday and every day it passes, the less I think of it. That isn't necessarily bad, but I am still unsure if I want it in my life.
I decided to do an experiment. I will just take off my  Watch and see how I feel about it, if I miss it at all.

Has anybody tried to do the same?

Return it. It's probably not for you. If you're not sure it's worthwhile after a week, you'll probably never be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.