Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Say hello to MacBook Pro :) As some of you might know, I got a MacBook last Saturday, well it was a good machine and all but I swapped it for a MacBook Pro today :D I got the 15 inch 2.16ghz model, I can't post any impressions yet since I'm still cloning the operating system from the MacBook (I'm too lazy to reinstall my stuff myself :p ) but once I do I'll let you know, so far I can only comment on looks and the screen which is drop dead gorgeous, I'd post more impressions but I have a wireless network to setup, windows xp system to install and some benchmarks to run :rolleyes: well here a few pics of the new machine, the brand new MacBook can be seen in the background but I'm returning that comp

macbookpro002.jpg

macbookpro003.jpg

macbookpro004.jpg

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Wow congrats! Nice purchase you will LOVE it :D That picture reminds me I have to customise my adium some more

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Well actually there was nothing wrong with MacBook, but I decided to go to MacBook Pro, I think it was worth it, the graphics card is blazing fast (especially compared to the GMA 950), the display is better (glossy was good but matte is better in my opinion) and overall its faster and more comfortable to use.

Windows on it is even faster than MacBook, I doubt the extra 160mhz on the processor will make a difference but we'll see about that, having 1GB of RAM and 256MB of video memory makes Mac OS X GUI very nice, fast and smooth. I'll have to see how games run.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Did you colour your MacBook Pro label in or something? Mine is silver too :D I see you like adjusting your adium :p

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
damienvfx said:
But isn't the reason it looks red because it's one of those translucenty/CD looking fonts?

The text is reflective. You are seeing the reflection of something red in the words pro. Or he colored it with a marker. Or he knows Steve Jobs and has a special custum MBP of doom. something like that.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Well I'm just loving the MBP, the machine flies with 1GB RAM and 256VRAM, windows runs great on it, I tried hl2 and Prey and they run great at high settings [minus AA], wireless is awesome and very convenient, even my PDA has internet access now /in fact I'm writing this from my PDA/ :p well i'm happy with mbp.

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
findnemo said:
How come my "PRO" is not red but silver? and how come your's is red.

Because his pics are obviously photoshopped fakes. He really didn't get a MBP. He just wanted his e-manhood to increase. :rolleyes:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
viccles said:
Did you colour your MacBook Pro label in or something? Mine is silver too :D I see you like adjusting your adium :p

It's not Adium it's a HD backup application called SuperDuper.

Rich.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
timerollson said:
Sexy. I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Pro at the end of the year to replace my Macbook. Let us know if it has any issues.

No issues so far, it's been a really solid machine, its a little on the hot side but good, the 5400rpm HDD is kind of a bummer but not a real detractor (like the GMA950 for the MB was), on the Mac OSX side of things, everything works well, Parallels is a seamless experience, applications open in a snap, rosetta translated apps are very usable and faster than the PowerBook anyway and the GUI is very smooth, dashboard opens in a snap and there is no delay at all in opening the widget bar and adding new widgets. I still have to determine whether the extra RAM, 160mhz speed and X1600 make a difference with MacBook on stuff like iMovie, Handbrake, etc

On the Windows side of things its really solid too, everything works as expected, the Apple drivers make everything work and other drivers are very easy to install, the Omega Drivers 6.7 installed without any problems (ATT won't work but that can be fixed I think) and so far I've tested Half Life 2, Prey, Photoshop and a few other apps, all run really good, I'm installing a couple more applications and games to see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.