Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maadaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Hi guys. I just have to get my rage out somehow, because i normally don't write in these forums. Some days ago, the glass on my phone got crushed, because i sat on it. Which meant when I unlocked my phone it would just go nuts, and opening all the apps etc.
I went to a store that could fix the screen, and he told me that my phone has been locked. He fixed the screen and i went home and spent countless of hours trying to recover all my data. Until I realized... that it was impossible because of security concerns from Apple. I mean what the ****! I just lost many years of memories, all my photos, all my messages and so on! And I know many will say, well why didn't you backup and i know that i messed up but still.. I mean the goddamn phone is connected to my imac with my apple-id... I dont know, I just think its so weird, that they don't give you just the slightest possibility to retrieve all your data. Im so pissed... Did any of you have any experience with this? Im danish so sorry in advance for the spelling

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Hi guys. I just have to get my rage out somehow, because i normally don't write in these forums. Some days ago, the glass on my phone got crushed, because i sat on it. Which meant when I unlocked my phone it would just go nuts, and opening all the apps etc.
I went to a store that could fix the screen, and he told me that my phone has been locked. He fixed the screen and i went home and spent countless of hours trying to recover all my data. Until I realized... that it was impossible because of security concerns from Apple. I mean what the ****! I just lost many years of memories, all my photos, all my messages and so on! And I know many will say, well why didn't you backup and i know that i messed up but still.. I mean the goddamn phone is connected to my imac with my apple-id... I dont know, I just think its so weird, that they don't give you just the slightest possibility to retrieve all your data. Im so pissed... Did any of you have any experience with this? Im danish so sorry in advance for the spelling

Why wouldn’t you have ever backed up your iPhone?

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
These security measures are here to protect you.

I'm sure you would be equally mad if Apple made it easy to get into your iPhone without a password and someone else used it to make Apple Pay purchases.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I just lost many years of memories, all my photos, all my messages and so on!
In the old days, people kept their photos and negatives in a box. If the house burned down, they didn't get mad at the box maker.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I totally get that you are mad. There have been lots of parents locked out of their phones for like 50+ years due to kids playing with the device. Fortunately, iCloud, Google Photos and a host of similar apps really make backup dead simple.

Not to rub salt in the would, but what would you have done if you had just plain broken the phone due to a drop in water, an electrical surge, etc? What if you had lost your phone or had it stolen?

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
If you have an iMac don’t you also use iCloud? If so I would have thought that iCloud backup was on - I can’t remember but I thought it was one of the services that was switched on by default when you setup an iCloud login. Are you sure there is no phone iCloud backup?

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I knew a guy who was driving from Buffalo, NY to NYC at 3am. Hadn't slept in almost 24 hours and had been drinking. To make a long story short, he never made it to NYC.. I never asked, but I guess I should have asked his family members if they were mad at the car manufacturer.

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Sorry to be blunt but that's not Apples fault that's your fault for not using the services they provide (in some cases free) to back up your data.

Have you tried accessing iCloud.com on a PC or Mac with your user name and password, if you had iCloud enabled most of your stuff will be available there.

If not then you'll have to wait till the lock expires, it's only there to protect your data.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
While it’s unfortunate what happened the only person to be mad at is yourself. Sorry to be blunt but this is why backups are extremely important. This isn’t Apple’s fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.