Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
searching the iPhone app store is now almost pointless. All the categouries have 100s if not 1000s of apps so how do you see the new ones from the old?

There doesn't seem to be any system in how apps are listed. Ok if you look on a computer on iTunes you can see the newest apps firs but not on the iPhone where I do all my searching for apps.

Are there any decent app review sites ?

I could be missing some killer apps but it's like searching for a real turn by turn gps app in a sea of email my position and one touch dialler apps.

I have resorted to reading this thread which is how I discovered fring and pennytel but this is not satisfactory.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I browse the following site fairly regularly since not only is it a list of new and updated apps, but it lists price changes as well- very handy for finding out when that app you've been wanting dips in price: http://appshopper.com/

I'm not sure if the apps are listed in the order they arrive in the App store, but they are at least added on a daily basis, so you can browse back a few pages to see which apps have been posted in the last day. Then when you do this daily, you'll start seeing the apps you saw yesterday and you know you've seen all the updates for that day

Amt

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
searching the iPhone app store is now almost pointless. All the categouries have 100s if not 1000s of apps so how do you see the new ones from the old?

There doesn't seem to be any system in how apps are listed. Ok if you look on a computer on iTunes you can see the newest apps firs but not on the iPhone where I do all my searching for apps.

Are there any decent app review sites ?

I could be missing some killer apps but it's like searching for a real turn by turn gps app in a sea of email my position and one touch dialler apps.

I have resorted to reading this thread which is how I discovered fring and pennytel but this is not satisfactory.

http://appshopper.com

tried that one?

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
thanks for the suggestions I've added appshopper to my iPhone screens.

I love the fact that there are so many apps but apple need a better way to list them in the app store. There doesn't seem to be any logic in how they are listed and the categouries are too broad. Ok navigation games books are sort of ok but they should have non fiction, fiction, biography etc etc for example. What are utilities or productivity?it's a bit like a shopping centre with shops selling food or books but the items are randomly displayed and not grouped.

The review sites are good but apple needs to think harder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.