Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
This will likely be my last update on this matter. Plus two stories of separated luggage and keys both with AirTags.

TLDR: 2 out of 3 located with an AirTag

1. The lost AirTag

My first set of AirTags, including the lost one, has finally indicated a low battery warning (all at the same time).

As a last attempt to see where it might have actually ended up, I have printed a flyer with a photo of the AirTag + Belkin keychain it was similarly attached to (her brother's AirTag + keychain is intact). The flyer had a $20 reward.

My daughter went with me and she wanted me to knock through the houses to personally hand the flyers instead of dropping them in their mail. Only one person answered their door and she was an old lady who did not speak English. It appears she thought we were selling her a keychain for $20 as I was handing her the flyer. She said no and did not want to take it so we went about on our way.

The other houses we just dropped off the flyer in the mail.

The odd thing is that as I was in the area, it was trying to latch into an Apple device and the address kept on changing from houses to across the street. It was never latching into my phone. So I really don't know where it actually is even if it showed I was right there in the same vicinity.

It appears the users in the block are not iPhone users and probably there's one iPad in the area where it's latching onto.

So that's it for this lost item. It would be great if Apple and Android devices would adapt a standard like Thread so similar devices can latch into more devices and show a more accurate location.

IMG_0652.PNG

2. Lost keys

I dropped my own keys while walking in the neighbourhood. Because I dropped it within the same block as my house, my phone didn't alert me that I left it behind despite being 3 homes away. I only realized my key was missing when I needed it the next day. When I zoomed in on the location, it wasn't exactly at home. So off I went looking for it.

As I said, I found it 3 homes away. Someone was kind enough to take it away from the sidewalk and nearby the apartment complex probably thinking that's where the owner came from before stepping onto the sidewalk. I'm glad that certain person found it and put it aside in a corner instead of others who might take interest in the leather keychain that my keys were attached to.

3. Locating luggage at Harry Reid International Airport

My family and I arrived at Las Vegas airport from Canada and took the wrong tram to the luggage pick up area. I didn't know this until I checked my luggage location showing it was in a totally different building when it was not showing up in a carousel that I have been waiting for roughly 30 minutes already. I finally checked with the airport staff to acquire when the luggage for our flight would appear on the screen and which carousel. They said I'm in the wrong terminal and that there was no way for me to get back the other way using the tram except to take their shuttle bus outside the airport.

I was a bit stressed as I had a lunch reservation which I would have had leisure time from arrival. Well, except for this curve ball and the amount of time that I've been burning waiting for nothing. Unlike the tram, the shuttle bus has a longer wait time between routes. And as I would come to know, a long line up of passengers. I just missed the last shuttle bus.

While waiting, I was monitoring my luggage and it was still reporting to be in the building.

As I was lining up along with the rest of the people, the shuttle bus finally arrives. But it stops short from the end of line. It stops right in the middle of the line and then opens the door. So the people by the middle starting entering instead of letting the front of the line passengers including myself. So none of the passengers were having it. We complained and forced our way in as well as advised the bus driver that he should have advised the others where the front of the line was. He didn't care and just wanted to drive to and from.

In any case, we were able to make the bus which was not enough for the long line.

I made it to the other building, but couldn't find my luggage in the carousel that was now empty. I whipped out my phone and it was showing to be in the area. I had my family sit down while I frantically looked around and saw it was now stationed outside the Air Canada office at the end of the row of carousels. The luggage was just outside their door and I rushed to take it. Then I noticed there was a person inside the office, as I waved that I was taking it. The person nodded without even checking my credentials if it was mine. You could easily walk out with it as past the carousel are the exit doors.

With all our luggage in tow. We dashed to get a cab and barely made it to the lunch reservation. We were by then 15 minutes late, but because of the lineup, they would have thought we were just waiting for our turn as well. Phew.

Minus the lost one, I now have 11 AirTags for our keys, luggage, and bags for the household to date. 2 out of 3 retrieval rate isn't bad for a CAD $39 device.

We have an upcoming Summer trip and those carry-on, check-in, and backpacks are already tagged and waiting in the closet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.