Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmpfmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
My Iphone 6 died today after 6 years of being a great phone without any problems whatsoever.
Dropped it so many times, screen never broke.
Charged it every night, Battery still held a charge for a full day when used accordingly.
Home button broke a few months ago, but using assistive touch was no problem.
Most apps were pretty slow, but in a way it helped me not wasting too much time on my phone.

It just turned off and I have not been able to start it again. Charged it for some time. Home Button has not been working for some time, so all I could really do is press the side button. But no success.

I transferred 25.000 photos to my mac just a few weeks back.
Happy I did (no iCloud & no backups)!
The pictures I took since then are lost, but thats okay.

I just ordered an iPhone 12 Mini on Amazon (10% off compared to apple.de), it'll arrive on Tuesday.

Really looking forward to a new phone.

Anybody else still rocking the 6?

fmpfmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Good God I couldn’t imagine using an iPhone 6 in 2022. It was painfully slow by the time I got an iPhone 7 in 2017.
It really does test your patience if you want to take a pictures inside telegram for example and the camera takes like 8 seconds until it starts showing the frame. Or if you open whatsapp and the app takes like 20 seconds to update to the latest messages. Not to mention not receiving a push notification at all sometimes...

Reactions: Reggaenald

fmpfmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
RIP to a real one. 🙏 It has served you well and is in iPhone heaven now.

I’m also holding on for dear life onto my 7, hope it lasts for one more month before I finally upgrade. 🤞
Yeah i was thinking that now is kind of a bad timing since prices will probably drop in a month. But I won't tell a phone that stood by my side for 6 years that is should have lasted just 4 more weeks haha. It is what it is.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The 6 would be unbearable for me in this day and age. The 6S/SE is fine though and is as far back as I am willing to go. The 12 Mini is amazing will do you for another 5 years so stick on a case as the glass back is easily smashed and enjoy!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yeah, quite impressive for holding out with a 6 until today. I remember playing someone's iPhone 6 on iOS10 or 11, and it's already unbearably laggy for me. :D

Reactions: fmpfmp

MacPeasant123

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
It really does test your patience if you want to take a pictures inside telegram for example and the camera takes like 8 seconds until it starts showing the frame. Or if you open whatsapp and the app takes like 20 seconds to update to the latest messages. Not to mention not receiving a push notification at all sometimes...
I am impressed by your patience with situations like that and that you were able to get 6 years out of it, so kudos! On my iPhone 4s which I actively used for 4 years, after I updated it to iOS 9.x, it became painfully slow, about the speeds you described here. Sometimes I could be typing in the Notes app and it takes something like 15-20 seconds before it responds to my taps. When I figured out that's how long I'd have to wait before my phone responds, I just put it down and did other things. When the 2016 iPhone SE came out I jumped for that. I could not have carried on another two years at those unresponsive speeds on the 4s to reach the six years you managed to get out of your iPhone 6.

Reactions: fmpfmp

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have never purchased a new iPhone on release date but I am one of those that still use an older model iPhone...

I have the iPhone 6s 64GB brought pre-owned in early 2019 which had several drops and U2 IC replaced as well as the battery replaced... I have started using it again this August 2022 after it got repaired [disconnecting the charger turns the phone off even though the battery charge is 100% and it does not turn on again until the battery got replaced]... It was down and out for about more than a year and now that I'm using it again I am noticing LCD burn which is tolerable since it is back to a usable state again...

I have the iPhone 7 Plus 128GB bought brand new in late 2020 which also had several drops and battery health is currently 93% which although it does not last as the iPhone models from 2019 onwards, comparing its battery life to an iPhone 6s still makes it look like a battery champ... It has never undergone repair and I just had its tempered glass screen protector on the same day the iPhone 6s was repaired... Although its screen size is not as big as the Max phones from 2018, having used the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5s, SE 2016 in the past, it still feels like a big leap in readability and usability...

My iPhone 7 Plus from late 2020 is approaching its 2 year mark and even though it is no longer the best iPhone to use these days and there's a part of me wanting to get at least an iPhone 11 Pro or Pro Max sometime soon, I think I would still continue using it until the day that no amount of repair can bring it back to a usable state...

Reactions: fmpfmp and MacLappy

fmpfmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I am impressed by your patience with situations like that and that you were able to get 6 years out of it, so kudos! On my iPhone 4s which I actively used for 4 years, after I updated it to iOS 9.x, it became painfully slow, about the speeds you described here. Sometimes I could be typing in the Notes app and it takes something like 15-20 seconds before it responds to my taps. When I figured out that's how long I'd have to wait before my phone responds, I just put it down and did other things. When the 2016 iPhone SE came out I jumped for that. I could not have carried on another two years at those unresponsive speeds on the 4s to reach the six years you managed to get out of your iPhone 6.
I feel you. Sometimes I wonder myself how I managed to get by. There were even situations where I needed my phone to end a car rental and it would not respond while the battery was going down like a countdown haha. Funny now, not so fun back then...

fmpfmp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I have never purchased a new iPhone on release date but I am one of those that still use an older model iPhone...

I have the iPhone 6s 64GB brought pre-owned in early 2019 which had several drops and U2 IC replaced as well as the battery replaced... I have started using it again this August 2022 after it got repaired [disconnecting the charger turns the phone off even though the battery charge is 100% and it does not turn on again until the battery got replaced]... It was down and out for about more than a year and now that I'm using it again I am noticing LCD burn which is tolerable since it is back to a usable state again...

I have the iPhone 7 Plus 128GB bought brand new in late 2020 which also had several drops and battery health is currently 93% which although it does not last as the iPhone models from 2019 onwards, comparing its battery life to an iPhone 6s still makes it look like a battery champ... It has never undergone repair and I just had its tempered glass screen protector on the same day the iPhone 6s was repaired... Although its screen size is not as big as the Max phones from 2018, having used the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5s, SE 2016 in the past, it still feels like a big leap in readability and usability...

My iPhone 7 Plus from late 2020 is approaching its 2 year mark and even though it is no longer the best iPhone to use these days and there's a part of me wanting to get at least an iPhone 11 Pro or Pro Max sometime soon, I think I would still continue using it until the day that no amount of repair can bring it back to a usable state...
I was always hesitant to pay for any repairs. My iPhone 6 never had any issues that needed repair but if I had needed to repair the screen or the battery I would have just bought a new phone. I find those repair costs so disproportionately expensive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.