Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2014
Seems like Sony are still trying to hang in there.

New exterior design in the XZ but everything else not exceptional.

Had a feel of one today and it feels like cheap plastic. FFS Sony.....

My Z5 Premium is a better phone than this....

I expect the XZ to bomb in terms of sales.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well seeing as this is the only XZ thread that I could find... thought I'd post in here!

I for one am interested in the device... so much so that I ordered it tonight!
Waited to see if there was any black tag reductions with carphonewarehouse and as luck would have it their was, so seemed like a good time.

After returning my Pixel last week I have been wanting a second phone with a decent camera to play with and to use during my weekend shifts.

Decided on the XZ because I've never given a Sony phone a proper go and over the last few weeks since it came out we've sold loads of them in Carphone. As the boxes are not sealed, I've been having a look at them and I personally love the feel of it in hand. It just feels really nice and the metal back is very welcome. Not cheap in the slightest to me, like the above poster found?

I also really like the Platinum colour, so opted for that as it seemed a bit different from the usual black or white options unless you're a Samsung user.

Most intrigued to try out the camera as I have never read such a mixed bag of reviews online.
Some reviewers are saying it is completely capable and shoots better than the S7 and iPhone 7 in natural daylight, others say it can't compete.
The general consensus is that it cannot compete in low light, but I think my 7 Plus does a great job in lower light so I'm content with that. I'm intrigued to see how this Xperia does when shooting photos of the dog out and about as he rarely sits still, and with the motion blur technology in built it should hopefully get less blurry moving dog photos!

Should be here tomorrow, so I'll post some thoughts a little later on tomorrow evening. Haven't had much luck finding a second phone that I'm happy with recently, so hopefully this will turn the fortune.
Or I could absolutely hate it as being totally honest, the OS of the display model we have annoys me so might not be the best choice! I can change it up and get it how I want it though which is what I will start with.

Wish me luck!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've got the blue XZ. The camera is merely ok, but totally good enough for my needs. The selfie camera is exceptional though!
It's a very fast phone with a superb screen and I love it. No regrets.

Positives:

Feels great in the hand.
No protruding camera bump.
Nice stereo speakers.
Super-fast at opening apps and browsing the web.
Strong WiFi and cellular speeds.
Great front (selfie) camera.
Exceptional 1080P LCD screen.
Almost stock Android experience.
Tactile hardware buttons unlike iPhones

Negatives:

Plastic chassis. Although the front is glass and the rear is metal, sadly the sides are plastic and for a flagship this is a bit disappointing. However the plastic does minimise the weight and this thing feels great in the hand. It also looks very classy with a unique design compared to the myriad of samey iPhone/HTC clones.
Battery life, which is nothing to write home about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Didn't end up getting this until yesterday afternoon and then had a (stupidly early) Christmas meal with work (November?!!) so my hands on time with this was very small.

Having said that, I did manage to get the phone updated fully and install all of my apps.

Very impressed wit how the phone handled me throwing all of that at it. It heated up but not to any worrying degree which resulted in a slow down / stuttering of the phone.
820 processor for you! :)

Very quickly tried the camera. Best thing about it - shoots in 16:9. Yay, and in 20MP mode which is very good.
Camera samples had a lot of noise when zoomed in, but when I compared them to my 7 Plus outside of the optical zoom function, the Sony did pick up more detail. Can't wait to try it properly out and about.

I get what people are saying about the camera interface being confusing. I just shot in Superior Auto mode but if you didn't want to do that, the options are seemingly endless. Gave me a headache just looking at it.

The actual OS is really really nice. So impressed with it once I disabled the bloatware apps and made the home screen Pixel like with hardly any info / apps on it.
I actually think I like the Sony version of Android most so far. It's definitely up there with Pixel in terms of ease of use for things like changing the wallpapers etc, but I love the home / lock screen with the clock.

Phone feels really really nice in hand. I think it's the absolute perfect size for me. The screen could be a touch bigger, I think 5.4 is my sweet spot, but the actual phone in hand is just amazing. Easily the nicest feeling phone I've had in a long time.
The platinum colour just looks so nice too.

Never had a phone with the fingerprint reader on the right for the thumb, but it's a better fit to me than the Pixel was on the back. Add double tap to wake and it's just a recipe for success in my opinion!

I shall continue to use it and update with my thoughts as I go. Probably check in again on Sunday with some photos and picture samples to see how it's treating me after a couple of days in. But so far so very very positive.
I was the same with the Pixel to being with though so I may have a change of heart. But I ultimately found the Pixel to be a bit boring whereas this phone has a bit more about it for me so it may well be a keeper! :)

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
My brother got one so I looked at it for 30 seconds when I visited him. Camera looked okay and launched fast.

Can't understand why the iPhone camera is so slow.

Many Android devices pretty much launch the camera and snaps a picture within 1 second. Maybe 2 seconds..

My 6+ is a swipe fest and wait or finding the icon and wait. Some Android devices have a dedicated button or press power twice and camera opens. And it's so fast that camera app s already running when the screen turns on.

Other than that the device looks good and probably is a very good Android device.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So i've had the XZ for a couple of days now and had some extensive usage from it as I've basically made it my 'main phone' with the iPhone 7 Plus taking a bit of a back seat.

The XZ is definitely a keeper. :D

First time I've used a Sony device and I am so impressed with everything about it.

The camera is one of the main reasons I went for it, and it doesn't disappoint. The only thing I do find as previously mentioned, is that the interface is slightly confusing and a bit messy with options tucked away in sub menus. Makes for a difficult experience unless you shoot in Superior Auto mode.

The actual camera samples I've taken are pretty impressive. Colours are very accurate, probably some of the most accurate I've seen save for the Lumia 950's and Pixel.
But very close.
The one issue I have faced is the wide angle lens does cause some distortion on some photos at the very left and right of the image. Something I can live with as it isn't as noticeable on the device, more when I upload onto the MacBook.

I still love the design of this thing. It's a bit love hate. Some people like it and think it looks really sleek, others think it's a boxy mess. I can see the argument for both, but I just love the look of it, and the feel in hand too. Premium feeling and nice to look at. Big thumbs up.

Battery life has been pretty good for me. Surprisingly good actually for a smaller phone that's not overly thick.
Easily lasts the day which is all you can hope for really.

I think the Sony skin is nice. Some little niggles at the minute that I need to work out how to smooth out are things like deleting photos. They can't be deleted from the Google photos app. Instead they have to be deleted from the Sony Gallery app instead. Don't get me wrong, when selecting to delete from Photos it does offer to take me to the Gallery app to do it, but why is this there? Doesn't make sense. Will have to fiddle round in settings to find a way round it!

The rest of it is great. Double tap to wake AND double tap to turn screen off! Only when you tap to a blank area of the screen - well this is a revelation! I've never known an Android phone do this, but then at the same time I'm not as experienced with Android as some others on here are. Either way it's a massive plus.

Another really good touch is the ability to make the app icons small or big in the app drawer. YES SONY!
This makes such a huge difference. Made mine smaller and now it fits with the screen size and looks really nice.
Also, the option to move the app drawer button to anywhere. Again, not sure if this is just Sony, but I've never known another device out of the box that allows for this.
Major props.

Still love how easy it is to change wallpapers, add widgets and themes with this phone. Not tried themes yet, but there's a free winter one with my name on it for when we hit December. :D

Screen is lovely. Would never know this wasn't QHD or whatever these mobile 'professionals' are harping that it should have. 1080p works really nicely here and the colours are spot on out of the box. This was my biggest complaint with the Pixel, with colours being way too oversaturated or too mushy with SRGB mode.
XZ lets you choose exactly what type of screen you're after, and it makes for a much more pleasant user experience for me.

A girl I work with at CarPhone almost has the same phone obsessions as me (changing regularly) and when I told her I had got this she was like "Why?!".
We worked a shift together yesterday and she had a little play with the XZ and was amazed at the front facing camera (she's a selfie lover!) and the feel of it in hand. Later on I saw her checking trade in prices for her iPhone 7 and asked what she was doing. I then put a contract / trade in through for her at closing for her new Xperia XZ in Forest Blue. :p
She's made up with it.
Power of Sony haha.

She posted on Facebook last night about her new purchase and so many people who had also bought it were commenting saying how much they love theirs. I'd never properly given Sony a look before as their devices always seemed sub par. Whilst there are arguments that this could also be lacking in some aspects compared to the bigger sellers, it really is a lovely device that does everything well. Nothing has disappointed me yet and doesn't seem like it will. It's just a shame that more people won't go near them as often I find people say how much they don't like Sony as they've bought one of their cheaper, low end phones (of which there are many) and it's put them off another one. If only they knew their flagships were in a different league. For general Joe public though it's understandable. Sony could do with addressing that.

Anyway I've ranted.
Colour me impressed.
Here's some photos of the device I've taken as I feel it warrants a photo shoot. It's just so damn sexy!

IMG_2024%202_zpsenppyezd.jpg

IMG_2025%202_zpsuifom1xl.jpg

IMG_2029_zpshh2ipu3f.jpg

IMG_2032_zps6bgzphbd.jpg
IMG_2029_zpshh2ipu3f.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Quick update for those bothered (no one haha).
Still going strong with my XZ. Still loving it.

Sad news though as it has to go off for repair due to a strip of dead touch screen.
I noticed something was going wrong with it when I was trying to post something to Instagram and the text in the box was spelt wrong, or rather auto corrected wrong!
I was tapping away trying to get the cursor onto it and it was having none of it so I left it and thought nothing more of it.

Then I dragged an app to the home screen to add to a home screen folder at the bottom of the screen. The app was positioned in the row where the touch screen was not working on instagram and again, problems. Couldn't drag the app anywhere. Everyone at work tried it to no avail but I put it down to the screen protector I had on it (cheapy from Amazon).

Last night it begun to bug me so I took the glass protector off and it was doing the same.

Turns out I'm outside of my 28 days (just) for a replacement so it has to go off. :(
Gutted.

I had took some really great photos on the phone too which are below - the camera is very impressive.
Low light it's not brilliant, and the wider lens means edges blur a lot but the detail captured is great.
Not on par with Lumia as far as I can tell but up there with Pixel outside of low light. Although what phone doesn't capture amazingly well in bright sunshine I guess! :)

542810C9-EBCD-437F-B123-BD130764B31B_zpsldc6ooqs.jpg

5095EAE3-77AC-4DFD-8776-27E1F21F047B_zpsnrgftwkv.jpg

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I wanted a new phone to mess around with and had a hard time choosing between this and the X Compact, but ended up with the Compact for the smaller size.

My first ever Android was a Sony Xperia S and all I remember is the battery life being horrible compared to my iPhone 4S and the display being laggy. Hopefully this is going to be a better experience and the reviews looked good, though seeing someone having a screen problem in this thread doesn't give me much faith in Sony haha. The whole X line is just so good looking though imo, I couldn't resist at least trying one

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I wanted a new phone to mess around with and had a hard time choosing between this and the X Compact, but ended up with the Compact for the smaller size.

My first ever Android was a Sony Xperia S and all I remember is the battery life being horrible compared to my iPhone 4S and the display being laggy. Hopefully this is going to be a better experience and the reviews looked good, though seeing someone having a screen problem in this thread doesn't give me much faith in Sony haha. The whole X line is just so good looking though imo, I couldn't resist at least trying one

I looked at the Compact - wasn't a fan to be totally honest.
Just lacked the build quality of the XZ, although still a pretty good phone for the price.

Still not got my Sony back... been like 2 weeks now but when I check repair status it's just showing as 'awaiting parts' which is marvelous!

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I looked at the Compact - wasn't a fan to be totally honest.
Just lacked the build quality of the XZ, although still a pretty good phone for the price.

Still not got my Sony back... been like 2 weeks now but when I check repair status it's just showing as 'awaiting parts' which is marvelous!

Yeah the Compact's plastic probably turns a lot of people off, especially for a $400 phone when things like the ZTE Axon and OnePlus 3 are out there. Definitely a personal preference kind of thing. Cool 3DS too by the way lol

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
So I know I probably shouldn't bump this thread no one has much interest in, but I gotta say the X Compact is amazing. Maybe it's because I haven't used a more recent Android since I prefer Blackberry and iOS, but it's so smooth and fast on Android Nougat and the battery life is amazing. Puts my Priv to shame even with this midrange processor .

Received it today and used it all day like an addict, way more than I usually would just to test it, after charging to 100% and got I think seven hours of screen on time. Granted I had to force myself to use my phone so much I never want to touch it again and my partner hates me lol, but I'm impressed. Wasn't expecting so much from a phone I bought just for fun. Now I want to check out an XZ

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I bought the mist blue Xperia X Compact to go along with my iPhone - the 650 chip is fine and the plastic used is a high quality; it almost looks like ceramic. Principally, though, I bought it for its audio performance; it will play high-res files and has Bluetooth aptx although I can't complain about the iPhone's Bluetooth performance, really.

I like having 2 phones in use and have been buying 2 or 3 a year; these 2 I plan on keeping, though.

4rxL7HayC52S1CgoztjFVFpM0Gm2fcMWCKpTZOM2oK14040JFr7mlh1_ZGftBU0i-E0zLlXzbvC2GZlpA9qao7GjK1tt7Yb10-7uXNtWOsSbVt2VKxQPO6h7vRAdD_W-0xSFUCNJzC7i2qLFwolrMy4d_XgsKSOc2hQ8VahAnIRl6x9W1Tawz08eZU2SoAJT7K7PKBXD7TLSjIs2f1YLr58GTGb-bOkvFjlhrWzLEA51OGjwqa7rcqEzxn_btp69Q1a6XSjAnbRDA3zsRzHzY3jmEZJQjAk5iYxcQjgl4PbKYTft4pDkBxs0LFUi7lv3NQ2z9YNm-phusill4_Itgg_w8G3IxYh9g-XX8ecH0lHPs3haeBsu_NFvEqO-8nC5Y9Rs0atWGfS4NzmLMwtjOf4Ax6mf7iHHYOmCnmK1kZcbCv3OHJ_V1R71Jt4E8l4UC9Wt99AZkj_I1fgFFVYponEhOD82fnvfKeNgp8wZIAA9i87bBJqXLRsy5LE51svjjvKV4E8LXWHkGZXikgIXAKtxQ7Hq_mWWRpZUjS8LDwUBHRdc_mod_VEaHaS2pT8n_QFWaO5gykU9AESc1WkOsVxb8IyPoX5NZW3oefG9raIvs9j8QA=w810-h1080-no

FU4zbFfyGfWhbK21DJ1yQLWBAw6mEUSS4TU2tKoc04q_uVMRk8zrYwwusl1cTd_rbJ6m_6nHH45xvIQ2ughN2weG1C_0LmTxKuT68_Mz4jkrOoQJUyAck76Zbf_9If0nVrG1-DZx4N41igWe6drk3JoQGz63hH6sYv5ch4rqIrzGq1APiYLCG2dj7mAipai50iNY1IJ2kJqurzWE70Tk5lUge07NmMBUOAHFuZxrlwy5nLOlm3onjuE5M4WThmf0Trz5xWsvLB07a1QsGOxyk5HdIuu5CSNiQvQIJdIiKQj9D11VRkLGWm8pxu8WBR8Ft7QOBdM6Ogu2jcccRqn4XtjspTb2TWXRMEWjVzkMCd0znyDpwTb6Rzik0LfT5aBWz9WsZJ40P1Lz78wKZy1amUMdE06zcqcp9Txk7Cb8E2Z4q1VBQChADCv4NbmOTtFj8BG33qMRRspR9lCM8BfC01dj3lwv78AL4zEPWm7M1msNN8askWZw2ooiAej7Askz4Ylur97l8L7jW1v5iV8nFDjERkJK6BpQThSco7rRUenQKVna9ps4xpp1KOxlCNUpOvL-PZoiw4CRmBTUbPxmDFJSMbdx6d-wRVYrZsdrAzY5Gh_ngQ=w810-h1080-no

Reactions: Tsepz and Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So I know I probably shouldn't bump this thread no one has much interest in, but I gotta say the X Compact is amazing. Maybe it's because I haven't used a more recent Android since I prefer Blackberry and iOS, but it's so smooth and fast on Android Nougat and the battery life is amazing. Puts my Priv to shame even with this midrange processor .

Received it today and used it all day like an addict, way more than I usually would just to test it, after charging to 100% and got I think seven hours of screen on time. Granted I had to force myself to use my phone so much I never want to touch it again and my partner hates me lol, but I'm impressed. Wasn't expecting so much from a phone I bought just for fun. Now I want to check out an XZ

Glad you like it!

Sometimes you find that those phones you pick up to scratch an itch or just for fun like you say, end up surprising you the most.

That's kinda how I was with the Lumia 950 and then the Xperia XZ.
I love the XZ and I continue to love the 950. Completely different devices so I won't go into it in detail, but it's almost like you read so much negative press that you're almost convinced the device won't be for you. Then when you get hands on and forge your own opinions through real world use, you can often have a more positive experience than others.

I never expected to like the XZ as much as I do, but something kept niggling at me to pick one up. I did, getting rid of the Pixel for it (which i was a fan of) and I'd choose the XZ over it 95% of the time now.

And as for the 950, well that's like my crack. And another story altogether. :p

Reactions: Hastings101

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I bought the mist blue Xperia X Compact to go along with my iPhone - the 650 chip is fine and the plastic used is a high quality; it almost looks like ceramic. Principally, though, I bought it for its audio performance; it will play high-res files and has Bluetooth aptx although I can't complain about the iPhone's Bluetooth performance, really.

I like having 2 phones in use and have been buying 2 or 3 a year; these 2 I plan on keeping, though.

4rxL7HayC52S1CgoztjFVFpM0Gm2fcMWCKpTZOM2oK14040JFr7mlh1_ZGftBU0i-E0zLlXzbvC2GZlpA9qao7GjK1tt7Yb10-7uXNtWOsSbVt2VKxQPO6h7vRAdD_W-0xSFUCNJzC7i2qLFwolrMy4d_XgsKSOc2hQ8VahAnIRl6x9W1Tawz08eZU2SoAJT7K7PKBXD7TLSjIs2f1YLr58GTGb-bOkvFjlhrWzLEA51OGjwqa7rcqEzxn_btp69Q1a6XSjAnbRDA3zsRzHzY3jmEZJQjAk5iYxcQjgl4PbKYTft4pDkBxs0LFUi7lv3NQ2z9YNm-phusill4_Itgg_w8G3IxYh9g-XX8ecH0lHPs3haeBsu_NFvEqO-8nC5Y9Rs0atWGfS4NzmLMwtjOf4Ax6mf7iHHYOmCnmK1kZcbCv3OHJ_V1R71Jt4E8l4UC9Wt99AZkj_I1fgFFVYponEhOD82fnvfKeNgp8wZIAA9i87bBJqXLRsy5LE51svjjvKV4E8LXWHkGZXikgIXAKtxQ7Hq_mWWRpZUjS8LDwUBHRdc_mod_VEaHaS2pT8n_QFWaO5gykU9AESc1WkOsVxb8IyPoX5NZW3oefG9raIvs9j8QA=w810-h1080-no

FU4zbFfyGfWhbK21DJ1yQLWBAw6mEUSS4TU2tKoc04q_uVMRk8zrYwwusl1cTd_rbJ6m_6nHH45xvIQ2ughN2weG1C_0LmTxKuT68_Mz4jkrOoQJUyAck76Zbf_9If0nVrG1-DZx4N41igWe6drk3JoQGz63hH6sYv5ch4rqIrzGq1APiYLCG2dj7mAipai50iNY1IJ2kJqurzWE70Tk5lUge07NmMBUOAHFuZxrlwy5nLOlm3onjuE5M4WThmf0Trz5xWsvLB07a1QsGOxyk5HdIuu5CSNiQvQIJdIiKQj9D11VRkLGWm8pxu8WBR8Ft7QOBdM6Ogu2jcccRqn4XtjspTb2TWXRMEWjVzkMCd0znyDpwTb6Rzik0LfT5aBWz9WsZJ40P1Lz78wKZy1amUMdE06zcqcp9Txk7Cb8E2Z4q1VBQChADCv4NbmOTtFj8BG33qMRRspR9lCM8BfC01dj3lwv78AL4zEPWm7M1msNN8askWZw2ooiAej7Askz4Ylur97l8L7jW1v5iV8nFDjERkJK6BpQThSco7rRUenQKVna9ps4xpp1KOxlCNUpOvL-PZoiw4CRmBTUbPxmDFJSMbdx6d-wRVYrZsdrAzY5Gh_ngQ=w810-h1080-no
Glad you are enjoying it!

Honestly I wish we went back to plastic built phones! I hate how people have demonized it as some inferior material when in actual fact it helped absorb impacts of phones being dropped far better than metal and glass.

Glass is great for the Display and Camera lenses, but the rest should rather be a mix of Polycarbonate (rear) and Aluminium (frame).
This mixture made phones like the Galaxy Note 4 very resilient to cracked screens. I used my Note 4 without a case for a large portion of the time and dropped it countless times without a mark on the Display, but my S7 Edge had to go into a case from day 1.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It's a shame the US version doesn't include fingerprint reader.

Well, there technically is, but the workaround requires flashing the generic UK firmware of the Xz\X compact\X etc onto the phone. Was easy for me, probably not so easy for 99% of other buyers. Not sure why they would disable it in the US.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170122-101941.png
    Screenshot_20170122-101941.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There is a huge preowned discount buying from Amazon warehouse deals if anyone is interested, $385.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Personally, not going to buy Sony phones anymore. Been disappointed multiple times, and I had supported Sony since the Xperia Arc.
For an Android phone, getting a cheap Xiaomi is better. Xiaomi actually keep pushing security updates to all their phones. I have the Redmi 1S, Xiaomi's cheapest lowest end phone, and although it's stuck on Kitkat, it gets security updates.
Can't say the same thing about Sony. Not worth the money Imo.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Personally, not going to buy Sony phones anymore. Been disappointed multiple times, and I had supported Sony since the Xperia Arc.
For an Android phone, getting a cheap Xiaomi is better. Xiaomi actually keep pushing security updates to all their phones. I have the Redmi 1S, Xiaomi's cheapest lowest end phone, and although it's stuck on Kitkat, it gets security updates.
Can't say the same thing about Sony. Not worth the money Imo.

Not so; I've got Nougat on my X Compact with the December security patch. Why do you want to use a 3 year old Chinese phone with Kitkat when there is so much better out there? I couldn't imagine what 1GB of RAM would be like let alone an 8GB ROM.

I find I'm using the X Compact as much as my iPhone although the camera is worse; it lets me play my high-res files without converting.

ts_p4XQakDRFtB4rGZwgOd8Ogxx0XtcXLYLU2lPM5RKhHBPJMexVAUsc8ShVBcE9LCqHHNDVwxQ4qQLJ7-IgqTJIj8u-02bSdccnQzhATxl5iss3JYkGEnBzJYQMd704XhnD5frLj6r6tS9s7Ue-Ka1gvpx-kvkWqDR3RFegOigJSd1gB6pAE1CKltGiosD7e-haR0NkAMaqJgfPriblzksV0yMo081y2mw06K5JAVbifhO5c0k9qvjO412EJxkHkPeuB_GyxRh-i0lni2vSElOYaOc3dbb__T5umdGCfVHndS3vPaRFsB-kLndj1oCe6lAeZcr-ILUBAQcT3kbWlmpyIsp0NBWZoL33BywjbJNARSc9uL-wCOsu-gPdiss3hqAqiOMKnhdVI0VmBEnBya-k3CejM718Imwe3w4CksZ-BsPqdEGCXoILXzI0JRMSKWiz3N15aUfnxbVnSSoLjtDcWDCAjuYZz4tYbFoB_THADz9u1It328Nt7neDi2rNicLQl3FyQOAoEsoZgvrVSoyEpQJIdKjePJ_b33gQVVPJudRcS0ZvLDPpg3QXCFc8J3OOXLZi8Te_dQzcwHhN0Fha1f-RuHVNJzbR9uNaJegGOkljoctucQ=w608-h1080-no

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Not so; I've got Nougat on my X Compact with the December security patch. Why do you want to use a 3 year old Chinese phone with Kitkat when there is so much better out there? I couldn't imagine what 1GB of RAM would be like let alone an 8GB ROM.

I find I'm using the X Compact as much as my iPhone although the camera is worse; it lets me play my high-res files without converting.
How much did you spend for the X compact?
The Redmi 1S was released in 2014 for like $100, and yet it still get the latest security patch.
I had Sony phones from Xperia Arc, Z1, and C4. The C4 was released in 2015 and Sony already abandoned it last year. Yet my 3 yo Chinese phone is still getting updates.
Your X Compact won't get past 2 years at best.
For the amount of money for Sony, I can buy Xiaomi multiple times over, every year, and still come out ahead.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How much did you spend for the X compact?
The Redmi 1S was released in 2014 for like $100, and yet it still get the latest security patch.
I had Sony phones from Xperia Arc, Z1, and C4. The C4 was released in 2015 and Sony already abandoned it last year. Yet my 3 yo Chinese phone is still getting updates.
Your X Compact won't get past 2 years at best.
For the amount of money for Sony, I can buy Xiaomi multiple times over, every year, and still come out ahead.

Most people don't keep their phones beyond 2 years and really, how can a $100 phone compare in any respect?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Most people don't keep their phones beyond 2 years and really, how can a $100 phone compare in any respect?
For the same amount of money, I can get new phones from Xiaomi every year, and still come out ahead. So what's the value of Sony? You are basically paying just for the brand. That's the thing with Android. A cheap Chinese phone, which are getting better and better (the current cheap Redmi phones have fingerprint sensor), can do 90% of the branded expensive Android phones like Sony's for fractions of the price. Even better with Xiaomi, they keep pushing security updates to even the lowest end phone, in case you want to use it longer. It's an option, choice, that is not breaking the bank.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
For the same amount of money, I can get new phones from Xiaomi every year, and still come out ahead. So what's the value of Sony? You are basically paying just for the brand. That's the thing with Android. A cheap Chinese phone, which are getting better and better (the current cheap Redmi phones have fingerprint sensor), can do 90% of the branded expensive Android phones like Sony's for fractions of the price. Even better with Xiaomi, they keep pushing security updates to even the lowest end phone, in case you want to use it longer. It's an option, choice, that is not breaking the bank.
I get that it's a much cheaper option but surely a flagship phone from a top brand is going to perform better? You ultimately get what you pay for but sure, the gap is getting smaller each year. A One Plus 3T can almost hit with the big boys, but a $100 phone?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I get that it's a much cheaper option but surely a flagship phone from a top brand is going to perform better? You ultimately get what you pay for but sure, the gap is getting smaller each year. A One Plus 3T can almost hit with the big boys, but a $100 phone?
Better performance in what exactly? Maybe gaming, but that's about it. Is it worth the hundreds of dollars increase in price?
Take the Redmi 3S. It has 4000mAH battery, fingerprint sensor, LTE, 13MP camera with PDAF, gyroscope (many other brands don't even have this on their mid-range), 3GB RAM, and 32GB internal storage with SD slot. All for just $150. This thing can do more than 90% of what people do with their phone. Added on that Xiaomi keeps updating MIUI.
The value offered by big brands like Sony/Samsung is not there anymore. They all run the same OS, same platform. Unless you are buying a phone only for looks/brand, I'll save my money. If I want to spend $400 and up, I'll just buy an iPhone. At least I know Apple gave more for the money (worldwide warranty, longer shelf-life on updates, etc).

Sony is selling the X compact for ~$400, with Snapdragon 650, 32GB storage.
The 64GB iPhone SE is just $450, and it has the A9 which still runs around Snapdragon 820.
No matter how you look at it, $150 Xiaomi and $450 iPhone are much better deal than the Sony, unless of course you want the Sony brand/looks.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Money doesn't really bother me; it's not a factor in my decision of what to purchase. I had the SE but favour the Sony over it any day as a backup phone. 4 inches was a bit small for a display and I didnt' see the point in having an A9 device when I have A10 on the 7. I'd never buy any Chinese crap. Plus, I tend to buy 2 or 3 phones a year so none of them is ever out of date by much.

My main device, though, is the iPhone 7 - that was £699, twice the price of the £350 Sony. The Sony is a day's earnings for me.

My Xperia X Compact got another update today; I'm still awaiting 7.1.1 but understand there are problems with some apps on the latest version. I'm OK with running Nougat but wouldn't go back to any previous android version when I don't have to. Also, I won't have the phone in 2 years, anyway; as long as it's timeously updated when I have it - that's all that matters to me.

BTW post a screenshot of your Xiaomi with the January security patch - I'd be interested to know if a bottom end 3 year old Chinese phone has it or not.

8Y0nUUhcUNqN0kGtsj8dJe5ja2ksUN0xQokxmg9Ywq2mB_JidBXmXiln1Xgdbygy-jV0QJJfl6CiJ5zrdADw0KRVyxWEmWovkR3FrvaGExk-jie8YBo1u-GbYF_YMHlmskYVI5Euo2OABst98cEGfwXdHk4iJVFfv_-5f_EU5hcWQIAGZiGl9RodlZbGHg1mjCr0n9AgvrRwfZ0n1inGs3zMUya7fZJM27TrgOK8ozqxExPxuZERB8VEbbVCnCJ2l_wS6BLdml29BDwji874IAQ-d1ariKZQWGoFiGcnEA2HGfZtYWod2hRSWVaxwrPVuLYPS83Fd3cgB8pUkpoCh8tw87B2W7FxKZKRA3CM6OPiwz6Itn_jtTqU9PMoTFT0WRQhqoMnNwOxhyyufKdBL0Mc930g6cPqF2UerttftFTOSlrEG4yGVuy7N462KI6OuuPi0-QjYXlWK4bsvnj1rXTmSuUn5EWbj0U3TPt9k0JEEAp5NunXbeZnPNtogIeF2J2TSvTQ032f9g6jWNvrabAbe9oQpFtXCE-ANbeTl_FV8AzFMqN17r-sBad-bLHaoMrWKxAmPSdeXmiz3KZng20obcfP8TE7jBv-LfD-B-ap1ubEL3XDJA=w810-h1080-no

RGB7kWnDS577t7TWeiaymlJbGY-C-Zt3KhIai3WzBufu9pillVSqc-TAZSsNNpFPqYxQHJpwhtUi0bIHeVj97zuTx1Xvbm6jwR8q2DrQeBJaQ7H8kjCFj9ZSllBI6DTARc8m4EM0FWhHu-MajxNoFTjWskzT-v8YKnVoCCvoi6iOOn-HXONe3cH8Ms7ZNXPfGQ5Z5mbEK986zSq6aPUIGcHB5gQY3PjpdaUY1YnjAZF-a7sJC1RBEX5bjoW3G5poBrnXl6Ux9Xh2LadNpVKcSK3Zxvf3DTiCRP_vCFV7X1Bgqg8xvKrjC3n9it20Q_ha3DD4gF__1i_kL-_1hftZdYNkel693zWpHNmGV2UuD6kcBOKDr0F0-seS76chI0R1RMhof7l3AKY0x-Mtp_0nMzFx0lZEyOqw-gsByrzBKLMVHLvfp7vyOHxe6g1V5F6dovuQLoa3hG46ZVzZoaAS9qMNkW11NyD_ZHXj7shllowdnx0PHWVJruFzN7D4SYSkUaZOlCyFps13-h_9hAwZVAu6ejQpdYIXwvKh8wxXgC9C23Ghi0NH_JOCjTmeTWzHf_c7HJRaoDiNd6M2_J6nY9V7kSFIHtLBcEQ3DT7n9nQV3XC6f-Z1GQ=w608-h1080-no

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.