Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sre.live

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Guys,
You probably heard that it's been rumoured that Apple will speed up lighting from usb 2 to usb 3 speeds for the new phone (like they did with iPad).
Apple didn't mention it in the keynote apparently.

Tough luck this year?

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
They don’t specify anything on their specs page, not even if it’s 2.0. Did they last year?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, I never heard this rumor before because it doesn't make sense.

If Apple wanted to and could upgrade Lightning to USB 3.0 speeds, they would have done so a long time ago.

iPhone has had a USB-C controller built-in since iPhone 8. You can see it in the teardowns. The limitation is likely related to the Lightning cable/connector itself.

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
No, I never heard this rumor before because it doesn't make sense.

If Apple wanted to and could upgrade Lightning to USB 3.0 speeds, they would have done so a long time ago.

iPhone has had a USB-C controller built-in since iPhone 8. You can see it in the teardowns. The limitation is likely related to the Lightning cable/connector itself.
Actually, it probably is capable of 3.0. I wouldn’t put it past them. Can’t be any gains from sourcing 2.0 over 3.0 for that number of devices. They probably just don’t want to enable it…wouldn’t put it past them either hehe.

Why not implement it? They had a road map for getting rid of the cable all together? Then the charge pad messed something up with their plans? They want to sell iCloud storage? Because we all know, somet..very often WIFI transfer of large files cocks up. Perhaps they even have a proprietary wireless USB protocol in the works?

One thing is absolutely obvious. Having a 1TB device with USB 2.0 in 2022 is just f’ing stupid.

I like having local storage of my files and backups. Use cloud also. But the way Apple seems to want you to do this is buy storage from them while making it a struggle to do it otherwise. So I would have backups to cloud, then download from cloud to local….which always works like a charm.

Hopefully, EU regs force them to implement USB-C. But honestly, I don’t care if its a lightning plug or usb. It’s the soeed that’s the most atrocious thing here. I’ll buy your cables. Just stop forcing me to use your cloud.

sre.live

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts gents. Looks like Apple saved all the thunder for iPhone 15 and "revolutionary" switch to USB C. Not unexpected, but unfortunate.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Actually, it probably is capable of 3.0. I wouldn’t put it past them. Can’t be any gains from sourcing 2.0 over 3.0 for that number of devices. They probably just don’t want to enable it…wouldn’t put it past them either hehe.

Why not implement it? They had a road map for getting rid of the cable all together? Then the charge pad messed something up with their plans? They want to sell iCloud storage? Because we all know, somet..very often WIFI transfer of large files cocks up. Perhaps they even have a proprietary wireless USB protocol in the works?

One thing is absolutely obvious. Having a 1TB device with USB 2.0 in 2022 is just f’ing stupid.

I like having local storage of my files and backups. Use cloud also. But the way Apple seems to want you to do this is buy storage from them while making it a struggle to do it otherwise. So I would have backups to cloud, then download from cloud to local….which always works like a charm.

Hopefully, EU regs force them to implement USB-C. But honestly, I don’t care if its a lightning plug or usb. It’s the soeed that’s the most atrocious thing here. I’ll buy your cables. Just stop forcing me to use your cloud.
At this point, Apple is probably keeping higher transfer speed for when they actually put USB-C on the iPhone. That way they’ll have a tent pole for the presentation claiming faster transfer speed as one of the reasons they went USB-C.

Reactions: sre.live

sre.live

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021

It's a ridiculous squeeze by Apple 100% agreed. Few people need it, but hey, you're marketing Pro-Res etc, etc - well show the actual workflow!

Reactions: SebCohen

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Indeed ... this is an enormous mistake. Whoever made this stupid decision needs to go and I suggest they should be let go in a very public manner. The so called "pros" need to criticize this phone loudly and refuse to use it because it is nearly impossible to use this phone for recording ProRes 4K video that Apple claims it can be used for.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Indeed ... this is an enormous mistake. Whoever made this stupid decision needs to go and I suggest they should be let go in a very public manner. The so called "pros" need to criticize this phone loudly and refuse to use it because it is nearly impossible to use it for the ProRes 4K video they say it can be used for.
I will not be buying it despite the Verizon trade in offers. iPhone 15 pro for me.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I will not be buying it despite the Verizon trade in offers. iPhone 15 pro for me.
I may put off my upgrade as well. I was surprised the rumoured satellite feature was announced. I expected it would be delayed because of the difficulties Apple has been experiencing with development of their own modem silicon. This feature is of particular interest to me because we like to hike in the boonies and currently use a second costly and inconvenient device (Garmin) for SOS. The iPhone 14 Lightning connector fiasco may cause me to put a pause on the upgrade. Real world transfer rates for USB 2 are about 30 MBps and USB 3.0 is about 130 MBps. If there are a lot of small files then the transfer rate is affected because of file system overhead and throughput is much below those numbers. Backing up a 1TB device could take days.

Reactions: killawat

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I never heard such a rumor. They're totally saving it for the switch to USB-C. When they put it on the iPad mini last year they basically bragged about how much better it was and I'm sure they'll want that opportunity for the iPhone.

ivarh

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2019
It is very easy to see if the lightning plug on the new phone is capable of 5Gbit speed. Just look inside it. if there are metal strips on both sides its a 5gbit capable lightning port, if there are only metal strips on one side its a 480Mbit capable plug. It looks like all the lightning cables I have will support 5gbit when I plug them into my old 2017 iPad pro. (its port has metal connectors on both sides of the female plug).

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I may put off my upgrade as well.
Add me to the list. Well, the primary reason I'm not upgrading from the 12 Pro is because I'm still getting those sweet ATT bill credits. I'll be free and clear for the iPhone 15.

The 14 has some nice features but I suspect the 15 will have USB-C and its just too juicy not to wait, especially since the iPad has it.

Reactions: Hkfan45

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Add me to the list. Well, the primary reason I'm not upgrading from the 12 Pro is because I'm still getting those sweet ATT bill credits. I'll be free and clear for the iPhone 15.

The 14 has some nice features but I suspect the 15 will have USB-C and its just too juicy not to wait, especially since the iPad has it.
Same. iPhone 15 or possibly a pixel fold depending on reviews. I see zero reason to upgrade to the 14 as it simply doesn’t offer me any reason to upgrade.

Reactions: killawat

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Lack of competition within the iOS space leads to precisely these sorts of scenarios.

It does show, however, exactly what companies can get away with when there's nobody to call them on their b******t.
100% absolutely true. Lack of competition is causing Apple to truly become lazy on both the HW and SW side. iOS 16 is an embarrassment. When Android is more intuitive (an apple strength) and easier to get work done, you know Apple must have screwed up big time.

Reactions: redbeard331

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
It is very easy to see if the lightning plug on the new phone is capable of 5Gbit speed. Just look inside it. if there are metal strips on both sides its a 5gbit capable lightning port, if there are only metal strips on one side its a 480Mbit capable plug. It looks like all the lightning cables I have will support 5gbit when I plug them into my old 2017 iPad pro. (its port has metal connectors on both sides of the female plug).
I looked at my iPhone 13 and I see strips on both sides.

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
Note that the two rows of pins have to be in the port on the device. The plug on the cable side always have pins on both sides even though they're usb 2.0 only.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Note that the two rows of pins have to be in the port on the device. The plug on the cable side always have pins on both sides even though they're usb 2.0 only.
I see. So it’s two rows of pins. Yes, the iPhone 13 pro only has pins on one side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.