Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Just a little thought, but does anyone think that Samsung will be drafting the initial plans for the 'SCrown' for their new Smart Watch which'll be rushed out to be in production by the holidays?

Apple has truly come up with a really innovation Smart Watch Interface solution.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple has truly come up with a really innovation Smart Watch Interface solution.

I don't know, I'm not sure if its real innovation yet. I have to see more. The one thing Samsung and motorola has over apple with regard to the watches. They have shipping (or near shipping) products.

Complain all you want about Samsung copying apple (and they have), they beat apple out the door with one, and they've been improving it.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I don't know, I'm not sure if its real innovation yet. I have to see more. The one thing Samsung and motorola has over apple with regard to the watches. They have shipping (or near shipping) products.

Complain all you want about Samsung copying apple (and they have), they beat apple out the door with one, and they've been improving it.

The Samsung watch is so far advanced compared to the aWatch it makes me cringe.

http://phandroid.com/2014/08/27/samsung-gear-s-official-info/

It's a standalone gsm enabled curved masterpiece in comparison. Yet I want neither.

aWatch looks like a concept mockup from 1989. It's laughable!

What I wanted was an iPodTouch5 sized iPhone6. That would have blown me away. Oh well.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
U.K

It's a standalone gsm enabled curved masterpiece in comparison. Yet I want neither.

What I wanted was an iPodTouch5 sized iPhone6. That would have blown me away. Oh well.

So far advanced? What does the Samsung watch actually do? It has a terrible UI, hideous design, and awful UX. Unlike the Apple Watch which has brand new, innovative UI, stunning design and advanced and innovation UX.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
So far advanced? What does the Samsung watch actually do? It has a terrible UI, hideous design, and awful UX. Unlike the Apple Watch which has brand new, innovative UI, stunning design and advanced and innovation UX.

It has a GSM radio and doesn't need to be attached at the freaking hip to a phone like the redundant aWatch.

With handoff/continuity Apple had a HUGE OPPORTUNITY to have a standalone watch that could seamlessly hand off to the next larger device encountered, finally freeing us from having to lug around a giant phone all the time. AND THEY BLEW IT.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
No I don't think they will copy the crown, but they WILL be coming out with haptic feedback, the tap-to-communicate feature and that drawing message thing no doubt.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
In an interview last night, Jony said that Apple has been working on the watch for over 3 years. The software, hardware, and the intentions behind it are fairly impressive.

Props to Samsung, LG, and others for whipping up something in a hurry and getting it out to the market quickly, but I think we're going to eventually see this as another example of Apple not being first but being better.

Like all Apple products, they have the force multiplier that is the development community behind this product. Aside from what was shown yesterday, devs are going to create some amazing experiences that we're yet to think of. Those kinds of innovations can't be discounted as the competition heats up.

In the end, it may be less about the hardware and OS as it is developer support. I think we all know how that has turned out in the phone and tablet spaces. I'd expect wearables to be similar.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
In an interview last night, Jony said that Apple has been working on the watch for over 3 years. The software, hardware, and the intentions behind it are fairly impressive.

Props to Samsung, LG, and others for whipping up something in a hurry and getting it out to the market quickly, but I think we're going to eventually see this as another example of Apple not being first but being better.

Like all Apple products, they have the force multiplier that is the development community behind this product. Aside from what was shown yesterday, devs are going to create some amazing experiences that we're yet to think of. Those kinds of innovations can't be discounted as the competition heats up.

In the end, it may be less about the hardware and OS as it is developer support. I think we all know how that has turned out in the phone and tablet spaces. I'd expect wearables to be similar.

I am unable to read beyond "force multiplier" had to vomit.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

If Apple had been working on their watch for over three years it would have been ready to ship this year. They are just trying to put out the illusion that they invented the smart watch. I've already heard the fanboys saying that the planned on having bigger phones years ago. So all roads lead back to Apple. No other company can think of anything unless they copy Apple. Even if by some miracle they do have an idea, they are not able to bring it to fruition so they need to wait on apple to perfect everything :rolleyes:

Apple will always be top dog in the US however the rest of the world is much more competitive.

Last edited:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
If Apple had been working on their watch for over three years it would have been ready to ship this year. They are just trying to put out the illusion that they invented the smart watch.

It has been confirmed that the iPhone and iPad took similar lengths of time to develop, so I don't see any reason to doubt them. If you look back at the key hires and moves the company has made since the introduction of the iPad it starts to make sense that they were ramping up something else internally. We all thought that was the TV, but it appears to be the watch.

I don't think people truly appreciate how long it takes to create an entirely new mass market product, especially if you're a company of perfectionists. I agree that it is odd that they are missing the holiday season with this one, but they likely decided to get it right rather than release it unfinished.

As for trying to create the illusion that they invented the smart watch, Tim Cook literally told David Muir of ABC Nightly News "we weren't the first..."

*shrug*

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It has been confirmed that the iPhone and iPad took similar lengths of time to develop, so I don't see any reason to doubt them. If you look back at the key hires and moves the company has made since the introduction of the iPad it starts to make sense that they were ramping up something else internally. We all thought that was the TV, but it appears to be the watch.

I don't think people truly appreciate how long it takes to create an entirely new mass market product, especially if you're a company of perfectionists. I agree that it is odd that they are missing the holiday season with this one, but they likely decided to get it right rather than release it unfinished.

As for trying to create the illusion that they invented the smart watch, Tim Cook literally told David Muir of ABC Nightly News "we weren't the first..."

*shrug*
Actually no this doesn't make sense. This Apple watch is supposed to be a post Steve Jobs idea. Steve Jobs died just three years ago, so if it had been in the works for over three years it would still be within the Jobs era.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Actually no this doesn't make sense. This Apple watch is supposed to be a post Steve Jobs idea. Steve Jobs died just three years ago, so if it had been in the works for over three years it would still be within the Jobs era.

I have a feeling in the coming months/years we will learn more about Steve's involvement or lack thereof in this product (perhaps it was on his 'roadmap' that he allegedly left Tim with). Whether or not he was involved does not invalidate the amount of time that it took to create it - if anything it supports it since the iPhone and iPad took similar lengths of time under Jobs' watchful eye.

Since he is not around to shepherd the project, it is a post-Jobs era product. But that does not mean that he was completely out of the loop on it.

No one really knows, and I'm not sure it matters at this point.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

They got it out the door because rumors of an Apple watch were becoming more frequent. Personally, I haven't used any Android watches but I've read that they lack in features compared to the upcoming :apple:watch.

Reviews will tell if it was worth a late entry into the market.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nope, don't think it will be copied. Personally, if I gotta mess around with a dial on a smart watch, I would rather just take my phone out my pocket.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Meh all around.

What's with wearing a screen on your wrist? It's sort of interesting: pocket watches were the norm until about the late 1800s when wrist watches began gaining popularity, per Wikipedia, in part due to use in war, on horseback, etc where it was too hard to pull out a pocket watch.

Seems the same would apply to "smart" watches, which explains why sports watch/nav thingees on your wrist came to market well before the A Watch. But note that many folks, especially younger ones, had ditched wristwatches recently for pocketwatches, i.e. smartphones.

And if you're doing something like what prompted folks to popularize the wristwatch (war, riding a horse, messy stuff) odds are you aren't gonna carry your pocketwatch (iPhone) with you. So, why an A Watch?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
All Apple has come up with is a glorified mouse scroll wheel attached to a watch.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!

How can it be advanced when it doesn't have half the features? :confused:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It has a GSM radio and doesn't need to be attached at the freaking hip to a phone like the redundant aWatch.

With handoff/continuity Apple had a HUGE OPPORTUNITY to have a standalone watch that could seamlessly hand off to the next larger device encountered, finally freeing us from having to lug around a giant phone all the time. AND THEY BLEW IT.

GSM Watches aren't anything new. It's not even the first from Samsung. The problems with such devices has always been battery life, and despite Samsung's claims of up to 2 days I doubt it will be all that much better.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

*shrug*

Didn't they recently. As in this year, just hire people in the watch arena?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Didn't they recently. As in this year, just hire people in the watch arena?

Yes, but it is not proof that they only started working on it this year.

My guess is that they'd take it as far as they could with the knowledge they have, run into a challenge, and then hire someone with a specific skill set to help them see it through.

Long-story-short, I'm willing to take Ive at his word. No reason to believe otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.