Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Got mine at launch and returned it after using it for literally 5-10 minutes. It is just too similar to my iPhone 7-8 and knowing that I like to keep my phones for long years, I cannot justify having a phone with such thick bezels and outdated design for another 3-4 years. iPhone 12 5.4" might make me want to jump from my iPhone SE

Why did you even buy it if you knew all of this before purchase?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
This is my biggest concern. I text dozens of times a day. Even going from my 8+ to a slightly more narrow 11 took a while to get used to, and the se is quite a bit smaller than the 11. It’s weird to think back in the early days a phone like the iPhone 6 was considered big.
Like when I pick up my old 4S every now and again, I'm like WOW, how did I ever use this? I can't even get my pass-code correct nowadays. But at the time, it was monumental, and I don't remember having such a hard time typing. LOL

Reactions: parker5011

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Went from Iphone 11 to SE 2020... No regrets here and connection is fine.

Frank

326be5384da825be803e18ed8e8932b2.jpg

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Went from Iphone 11 to SE 2020... No regrets here and connection is fine.

Frank

326be5384da825be803e18ed8e8932b2.jpg

May I ask why did you go from 11 to SE? Did you ever have a X/ Xs (if it is about form factor)? I’m trying to understand why people seem to prefer home button UI as against gesture-based UI.

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
May I ask why did you go from 11 to SE? Did you ever have a X/ Xs (if it is about form factor)? I’m trying to understand why people seem to prefer home button UI as against gesture-based UI.

I have the 8 plus and purchased the Iphone 11 and the plan was it to replace my 8 plus. Need the dual sim functionality. Could not come by that iphone 11 screen is so much narrow and taller than 8 plus when reading text and ebooks. 19:5 vs 16:9 on 8 plus and SE 2020.

So basic you can say Yes, I didn’t like the form factor of the iphone 11.

Nice things about it is the camera and the battery life is amazing.

So I decided to sell instead off putting the 11 in a drawer.

So I still needed a really good phone with dual sim , so I picked up the SE

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
My oldest daughter just replaced her 8+ with an SE. Her husband’s phone was pretty much done, and he needed something ”new,” so he got the hand-me-down 8+, and she wanted to go smaller, so she got the SE. She loves it. She wasn’t interested in going to a phone with Face ID, and she also wanted to have a smaller phone that was really just a phone, and use her iPad more for things she tended to do on her phone.

She is absolutely thrilled with it, so we are now up to 3 SEs in the family - one in every color actually. My grandson is really loving his also.

I’m still a little on the fence with whether to stay with the SE or go 11 pro - mainly due to the fact that I think the 11 pro might be the perfect size for me, and nothing on the horizon in that size, AND still missing my swiping gestures a bit, but I do LOVE the small phone, so I’m trying to hold out and see what the 5.4 is really gonna be like.

Reactions: macintoshmac

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
My wife doesn't like her SE too much. She says its "OK" but the battery life is not the greatest. No 3D touch like on her 7. I'm not sure if its an upgrade, but at this point I'm just going to say no, it probably isn't. Although Facetime works much better now that we both are away from our 7s. There is a lot of compromise with the SE when compared to other models.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
My wife doesn't like her SE too much. She says its "OK" but the battery life is not the greatest. No 3D touch like on her 7. I'm not sure if its an upgrade, but at this point I'm just going to say no, it probably isn't. Although Facetime works much better now that we both are away from our 7s. There is a lot of compromise with the SE when compared to other models.

There’s no 3D Touch on anything new, even the watch is going to have it taken away. What other compromises are you experiencing? And what else can you get from other models for the same price?

Battery life will be better than on a 7. So will speed, connectivity, camera is a massive upgrade too.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There’s no 3D Touch on anything new, even the watch is going to have it taken away.

He’s not commenting on 3D touch on the new phones, he’s mentioning it on the existing iPhone 7, [Which is still applicable to that specific model.]

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
There’s no 3D Touch on anything new, even the watch is going to have it taken away. What other compromises are you experiencing? And what else can you get from other models for the same price?
It’s not my phone, I don’t use it. I just have to pay for it. I bought my XS Max for about 160 more than I paid for the SE. She doesn’t like my phone because it’s quite large in her little hands. Her 7 was done so I got her that because she wanted to use her old case and didn’t want a bigger phone. She complained at the size of the 7 over the 5S it replaced lol. Personally I think it looks good in red, and it’s fairly snappy. Also has a good camera for face time for her night shifts away from the kids.

Reactions: oVerboost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.