Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
So from my posts on here over the past couple of weeks I've said how the 12 Pro Max (I went with Pacific Blue) was way too slick to go caseless. I went caseless on my 11 Pro Max and liked it so I was thinking with the new design I thought it would be even better.

I just got a 12 Pro Max Gold and honestly the grip is totally different than the blue. I have no idea why but I legit think I can go caseless on it. It has a much easier grip.

Has anyone come across this? I haven't seen any posts about it.

Reactions: anevab26

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I think you have convinced yourself there is a difference.
Fair statement but I'm telling you it's there. I have both sitting on my desk right now. The Gold is easier to grip than the Pacific Blue, and to be honest it's not even close.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe that extra PVD or whatever coating they applied to Gold??
I think that's it. I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned or noticed yet. If someone has the ability to do so please give it a go and provide your thoughts. I've been testing if for the last 30 minutes and I'm positive it's there. It's significant and I'm sticking with Gold now.

Last edited:

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
It is coated stainless. In theory, there could be a difference between the coatings, but without scientific testing it is going to be hard to say anything definitively.

If there is a difference, it is small.

They’re both smooth—it is not like one is smooth and one is 60 grit sandpaper.

anevab26

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
So from my posts on here over the past couple of weeks I've said how the 12 Pro Max (I went with Pacific Blue) was way too slick to go caseless. I went caseless on my 11 Pro Max and liked it so I was thinking with the new design I thought it would be even better.

I just got a 12 Pro Max Gold and honestly the grip is totally different than the blue. I have no idea why but I legit think I can go caseless on it. It has a much easier grip.

Yep. Spent a lot of time in the Apple store because I noticed the same thing. Same goes for last years 11 pros. The lighter color matte glass has a tiny bit more grip than the darker glass backs. No idea why but it’s unmistakable

Reactions: vistokid

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Gold has a totally different kind of coating this year than the other colors (I know, silver had no coating at all). Of course it’s gonna feel different.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Gold has a totally different kind of coating this year than the other colors (I know, silver had no coating at all). Of course it’s gonna feel different.
Have you literally seen any news about it being grippier than the others? I haven't. I thought I would share my thoughts on it.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have the gold and think it seems easier to grip, I am not sure. When I tried the blue I was just being careful not to drop it, but honestly all iPhones since the iPhone 4 have always felt slippery.

Reactions: vistokid

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I have the gold and think it seems easier to grip, I am not sure. When I tried the blue I was just being careful not to drop it, but honestly all iPhones since the iPhone 4 have always felt slippery.
Exactly, I was just trying not to drop the blue. To me this is a game changer for those that want to go caseless.

Last edited:

baconroll

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010

Just curious. So did you buy another phone because you thought it might be gripper? Or didn’t you like the blue.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Just curious. So did you buy another phone because you thought it might be gripper? Or didn’t you like the blue.
I didn't care for the blue. The extra grip on the gold is a huge bonus for me at least.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
This is psychologically logical.
As Gold is considered precious, you‘re probably unknowingly holding it more strongly :)
I honestly know it sounds dumb. But it's true.

Put it this way. When I had the Pacific Blue the thought of going caseless wasn't an option. I will be going caseless on the Gold (90% of the time at least).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.