Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So I am not sure I get what is going on with this flat design thing for iOS 7? I like the look of iOS's apps and design. I have seen pictures of the flat design, and I don't understand it. Is the design they have now not what made the iPhone so iconic? There are other things I want in iOS 7 not some UI flat design like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370278442.414080.jpg

I know this is just some ones idea of what it could look like, but am I the only one that does not see that as a need for change? To me it just does not look that good.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Those look badly drawn, actually. I'm not a fan.
Did you do this or did you get it from the other threads talking about a flat design?

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
No I found it on google search. All the flat design drawings looked about the same.

----------

Sorry if this needs to go into another thread please move it. I did not even look under the iOS section before I posted.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
That seems *FAR* more simplistic than I'm expecting.

I don't expect "reduction to pure geometric shapes", just the removal of unnecessary "3dness". So for app icons, the "rounded shading" will go away, leaving just the base icon. (Music will be dark orange note on light orange, maybe with slight gradient; weather will be "sun on blue with 73 degrees, maybe with slight gradient. But no "curved 'shine' overlay".) I expect the more skeumorphistic icons (Notes, Contacts, Compass) will get modified significantly (as Voice Memos did a few versions ago,) and that the actual applications will get a major overhaul (especially the skeumorphic ones like Voice Memos, Notes, etc.)

But not a complete removal of "detail", just a dropping of unnecessary detail.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
So I am not sure I get what is going on with this flat design thing for iOS 7? I like the look of iOS's apps and design. I have seen pictures of the flat design, and I don't understand it. Is the design they have now not what made the iPhone so iconic? There are other things I want in iOS 7 not some UI flat design like this:
View attachment 414981

I know this is just some ones idea of what it could look like, but am I the only one that does not see that as a need for change? To me it just does not look that good.

Yikes..do not want.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
This looks like nothing has really changed that much.

And nothing will. It'll be flatter and more polished but it won't move mountains. 90% of iOS users don't want or understand change, thus any UI changes need to be careful and incremental.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
And nothing will. It'll be flatter and more polished but it won't move mountains. 90% of iOS users don't want or understand change, thus any UI changes need to be careful and incremental.

Yea that is what I was trying to say in my OP. I think what we have now looks pretty darn good. I am looking for stuff like quick toggles, and thing I feel iOS needs badly. The design is fine. I kind of get bored with it at time, but it works. If I want something different I can just switch my sim out and put it in my nexus 4.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Yea that is what I was trying to say in my OP. I think what we have now looks pretty darn good. I am looking for stuff like quick toggles, and thing I feel iOS needs badly. The design is fine. I kind of get bored with it at time, but it works. If I want something different I can just switch my sim out and put it in my nexus 4.

Now if only someone would make a 4.7" phone with an iPhone 5 body and stock Jelly Bean...

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Now if only someone would make a 4.7" phone with an iPhone 5 body and stock Jelly Bean...

Yea I like both that is why I have the sim adaptor to switch back and forth. I just wish they would make a wider iPhone. That is all I ask for. Got big hands the iOS screen is just a bit small.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
View attachment 414981

It's probably not going to go that flat. Think the current icons but without gradient backgrounds, drop shadows, reflections.

----------

No. It will not look like that.

Real or fake, take a look at this blurry image, it's a better example: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17346596#post17346596

That photo has been out there for a while. Allegedly it is a very early idea. Might even precede Jony taking over.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
View attachment 414981

Not a freaking chance!! Not if Jony Eve is having anything to do with it.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
I don't think that apple will go with this flat design s h i *

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.