Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
After 4 years using Android (mostly Samsungs) I'm going back to iPhone. Currently using an almost 3 year old Samsung S8+ which has started acting up so time for me to change. Anyone tried some of the latest Androids like One Plus? Or maybe its worth waitin to see what Apple have in store :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
That's cool. My experience is that 3 year old Samsungs aren't as nice as 3 year old iPhones. I still think Samsung makes the best Android phones based on what I'm looking for as a customer. Definitely hold off for another 5-6 weeks to grab the 2020 iPhones and I'm sure you'll be happy.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I don't think your crazy. iPhone is certainly a more widely preferred platform to be on, and rightfully so for most people. Do your research, wait to see what the iPhone 12 lineup offers, then make whatever decision is best for you. I'd venture to guess you'd be happy with any newer flagship Android vs your three year old S8, especially with HRR adding to snappy performance. Any modern flagship, iPhone included, is going to be a good option in general, and from there it just comes down to personal preferences.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I don't think your crazy. iPhone is certainly a more widely preferred platform to be on, and rightfully so for most people.
Where are you seeing data that iPhone is more widely preferred than Android? In your dreams?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Seems the iPhone 12 Pro will be pretty much the same as the 11 Pro in the looks department, so save money and get a deal on a 11 Pro now.

The 12 Pro will have the same notch, now for 4 years, and thick bezels. But smaller battery. And no 120hz screen.

Only cool new design on the 12s is the flat edges like the current iPad Pro or classic iPhone 4 /5 line. But the display and front will be nearly exactly the same again since 2017.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Where are you seeing data that iPhone is more widely preferred than Android? In your dreams?
Okay, so re-reading what I wrote i definitely see where that would have been incorrect on a global scale, or even off-putting. To clarify, I tend to only speak on experiences in the States, and I think its pretty clear that iPhone/iOS is the more popular platform here.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
I can wait to see what apple have in store. But curved screens on phones don't do it for me. If I don't get one of the new iPhones I'll probably try the oneplus 8 or 8 Pro just for a change.
And yes 3 year old Samsungs definitely start acting oddly on the firmware, more so in my experience than a similar age iPhone.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Okay, so re-reading what I wrote i definitely see where that would have been incorrect on a global scale, or even off-putting. To clarify, I tend to only speak on experiences in the States, and I think its pretty clear that iPhone/iOS is the more popular platform here.
You are correct. Part of the reason being that there are much better prices for iPhone in the US and incomes compared to many countries. However, in some countries with good incomes iPhone is far behind Android.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
If the iPhone 12 Pro did have a smaller new notch, and slimmer side bezels, I'd be all over it, but rumors indicate it will share the exact same design on the front, for 4 years straight now. So I'd get a iPhone 11 Pro to save a few bucks.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If you were happier on an iPhone then yeah, I would go back. Its a great device with a great ecosystem. No reason to worry about it.

There are some rumors recently that Apple have changed course and are going to add 120hz refresh in this years Pro models. If thats the case, they will be excellent devices right on par with the best android devices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Your far from crazy. I can't even move completely away from one platform without thinking I'm missing out of something.

I'm using the Pro Max now, waiting for the Fold 2 to arrive.

I would wait for the iPhone 12. I can't speak for every user, but for myself and many others, signal strength is mediocre with the 11. The 12 might have much better signal strength with the 5G modem (even when not on 5G). Plus I think they are going with Qualcomm, which if that's the case, it'll definitely be an improvement.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
After 4 years using Android (mostly Samsungs) I'm going back to iPhone. Currently using an almost 3 year old Samsung S8+ which has started acting up so time for me to change. Anyone tried some of the latest Androids like One Plus? Or maybe its worth waitin to see what Apple have in store :)
How is it acting up? Maybe you can elaborate a bit more.

A 3 year old phone will definitely have battery problems, so that could be one issue.

Any major Android phones are great nowadays, especially if you have a large budget. Samsung is still a great choice as now they promise 3 years worth of OS upgrades for their flagship lineup and some mid range models.

Without knowing further what you don’t like about your S8, it’s a bit difficult to recommend anything specific.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Seems the iPhone 12 Pro will be pretty much the same as the 11 Pro in the looks department, so save money and get a deal on a 11 Pro now.

The 12 Pro will have the same notch, now for 4 years, and thick bezels. But smaller battery. And no 120hz screen.

Only cool new design on the 12s is the flat edges like the current iPad Pro or classic iPhone 4 /5 line. But the display and front will be nearly exactly the same again since 2017.
Thick bezels. What the hell you talking about...lol.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Both iOS and Android have their "fans" (I think that word is allowed in this forum) but it depends on what you want. iOS is going to be the more stable "boring" choice that just works while Android is going to have lots of choices but might not work perfectly. Then of course if you spend lots of $$$$ on apps you have to remember they won't transfer.

I will make two points.

Don't buy an iPhone now! New ones are coming out next month so that means even if you wanted the 11 it would be cheaper. I don't get why anyone would tell you to get one now.

It's just a phone. Unless you have some significant emotional or work investment in your phone then either one will do fine. They have apps, send messages and even sometimes make calls.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don't think iOS is the most popular platform in the USA but it is definitely the most when it comes to flagship phones. Android gets numbers by selling tons of prepaid burner phones. For $50 or less people buy one, keep it for a few weeks, then toss it. Either way unless you're under 15 popularity isn't a big factor in making the decision. No normal adult says I was going to buy iPhone but Billy from work says all the cool people have Android so that's what I'm getting. Get what you like.

Reactions: yui4

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I don't think iOS is the most popular platform in the USA but it is definitely the most when it comes to flagship phones. Android gets numbers by selling tons of prepaid burner phones. For $50 or less people buy one, keep it for a few weeks, then toss it. Either way unless you're under 15 popularity isn't a big factor in making the decision. No normal adult says I was going to buy iPhone but Billy from work says all the cool people have Android so that's what I'm getting. Get what you like.

Maybe not, but I see more iPhones than Android being used. I like them both.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
How is it acting up? Maybe you can elaborate a bit more.

A 3 year old phone will definitely have battery problems, so that could be one issue.

Any major Android phones are great nowadays, especially if you have a large budget. Samsung is still a great choice as now they promise 3 years worth of OS upgrades for their flagship lineup and some mid range models.

Without knowing further what you don’t like about your S8, it’s a bit difficult to recommend anything specific.

You're right battery is a big issue. Barely lasts half a day with minimal use and I constantly have to have it on the charger to last a full day.

Aside from that apps such as the swype keyboard guve out total gibberish as auto complete and in having to constantly delete and retype. I always found the apple keyboard much better in this respect.

And occasionally have to reboot the phone as chrome just freezes

Typing enter key to start a new paragraph while typing this message makes the keyboard disappear. Happens on this and other forums.
I swear it wasn't like this before!!!
Yes I still like android and I'd buy another android phone like one plus 8 but android manufacturers obsession with curved screens, which imho add no value at all to the user experience is baffling, plus makes finding a screen protector a real pain / almost impossible.

Also, the price point of a flagship such as the s20 ultra makes the iPhone look cheap!!!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You're right battery is a big issue. Barely lasts half a day with minimal use and I constantly have to have it on the charger to last a full day.

Aside from that apps such as the swype keyboard guve out total gibberish as auto complete and in having to constantly delete and retype. I always found the apple keyboard much better in this respect.

And occasionally have to reboot the phone as chrome just freezes

Typing enter key to start a new paragraph while typing this message makes the keyboard disappear. Happens on this and other forums.
I swear it wasn't like this before!!!
Yes I still like android and I'd buy another android phone like one plus 8 but android manufacturers obsession with curved screens, which imho add no value at all to the user experience is baffling, plus makes finding a screen protector a real pain / almost impossible.

Also, the price point of a flagship such as the s20 ultra makes the iPhone look cheap!!!
I have a feeling the battery is the culprit for most of your problems. This is why Apple decided to reduce performance of iPhones if it detects worsening battery. An aging Lithium battery will not be able to provide consistent voltage for the electronics. This can wreak havoc as the hardware and software become confused.

If you have the budget, go for a new phone. We have come so far that almost any phone above $200 nowadays are good enough. Take the iPhone SE 2020 and the Pixel 4a. They might look dated, or use plastic, but there's nothing wrong with the experience. It's really hard to go wrong with modern phones nowadays. On Android, I'm becoming a Samsung fan as they're the first OEM (outside Google) who are making a guarantee of 3 years of software updates for their flagships and some mid-range models.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I guess I don't get your point. Making the argument that Android is any more popular in the US than it is because people use cheap burner phones for a few weeks is a strange one. That doesn't make the platform more popular, it just makes it more accessible to everyone.

And for the record, I'm not trying to fuel an iOS vs Android debate. Those should not exist in 2020. Both are great platforms that do the same things in different ways. I'm an Android user who understands why iOS is the more preferred platform in the US.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.