Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have USBs with pics stored that I'm going to move to my iPP for making photo books. There are some short videos mixed in as well.

What is a good thing for me to do to store and save videos for the long term these days?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I do a combination - some on my iPad Pro in the nPlayer app, most others on NAS for streaming. If I'm going somewhere and want a lot of videos to take, I'll copy them to a USB-C SSD.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I do a combination - some on my iPad Pro in the nPlayer app, most others on NAS for streaming. If I'm going somewhere and want a lot of videos to take, I'll copy them to a USB-C SSD.

Does this store them for the long term? Like how do people even store family videos these days? I'm trying to figure out what would be best for that? Just an external storage device? I have a bunch on USBs already, but don't know if I need to be thinking of moving them for long term storage.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Does this store them for the long term? Like how do people even store family videos these days? I'm trying to figure out what would be best for that? Just an external storage device? I have a bunch on USBs already, but don't know if I need to be thinking of moving them for long term storage.

Family videos are different - I keep them local on the NAS and a backup HDD and also a backup in the cloud on OneDrive. Same with any photos or documents I deem important to protect from loss either due to accident or device failure.

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
If I had the budget and a lot of data to store, I would have gone with a NAS. It’s quick and easy to move files when you need them, all your data consolidated into one place and organised, your own private cloud storage, you can give family access to view and contribute to, while not a backup solution you get a little redundancy if a drive fails (depending how it’s setup) and a lot more.

As I don’t have a lot of personal files, I have 1TB of OneDrive and a portable SSD for a local backup.

I have hoarded a bunch of downloaded media over the years. When I got rid of my desktop, I put all the hard drives into a Pelican case for storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.