Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Last year, it seemed that no matter what you thought the next iPhone was actually gonna be called (iPhone Pro, iPhone Air, iPhone 7s, iPhone X) – there seemed to be a general consensus around using the term "iPhone 8" when looking for info and rumors related to the upcoming phone.

But now that the naming convention has been thrown a bit on its head, what are people even using to google for this kind of thing? iPhone 9? iPhone X²? iPhone XS? iPhone 11? ....the 2018 iPhone? I know it's still early, but the more news starts to leak, the more demand there will be for finding info and the more need for having a single go-to search term.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
2018 iPhone - 5.8", 6.1", and 6.5"

It's how analysts are calling it as well.

Reactions: Izauze

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If history repeats itself, the next iPhones should be the iPhone 8S & 8S Plus and the iPhone XS (not extra small)

Disagree. I do think the numbering system is very important, but I don't believe Apple will be using the 'iPhone 8' any further for a number. Apple needs to show how they downgrade the older models with a newer model superseding with a higher number.

For example:

iPhone 11 (5.8)
iPhone 11 Plus (6.5)

Last edited:

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
2018 iPhone - 5.8", 6.1", and 6.5"

It's how analysts are calling it as well.

I guess that makes sense with all the uncertainty out there. Doesn't roll off the tongue exactly, but alas.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, the most recent history is that there was no 7S.

While that is true, it makes sense that there is no 7S as we knew a supercycle was in order.
[doublepost=1515791417][/doublepost]
Disagree. I do think the numbering system is very important, but I don't believe Apple will be using the 'iPhone 8' any further for a number. Apple needs to show how they downgrade the older models with a newer model superseding with a higher number.

For example:

iPhone 11 (5.8)
iPhone 11 Plus (6.5)

Not sure how that'll work...

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Standard size will be the iPhone XX or the X-squared
Plus size will be the iPhone XXX
The mini will be the iPhone SEx

I'm quite sure I'm wrong :rolleyes:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
While that is true, it makes sense that there is no 7S as we knew a supercycle was in order.

What supercycle? The only thing we can say is, Apple will skip numbers for marketing purposes. Especially to make the hardware seem more attractive.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
What supercycle? The only thing we can say is, Apple will skip numbers for marketing purposes. Especially to make the hardware seem more attractive.

The iPhone X is a super cycle for Apple, even though you don't see it that way. A way to conmemorate their 10 years of iPhones. Now that I think of it, the iPhone X brings memories back of the 1st Gen iPhone. Everyone hated it, talked smack about it, and ripped it because it wasn't "innovative enough".

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The iPhone X is a super cycle for Apple, even though you don't see it that way. A way to conmemorate their 10 years of iPhones. Now that I think of it, the iPhone X brings memories back of the 1st Gen iPhone. Everyone hated it, talked smack about it, and ripped it because it wasn't "innovative enough".

Apple has never used that term on stage or during their conference calls with investors.

The analysts who coined the term have suggested it would happen in 2018 as a result of the 6.1" and 6.5" form factors.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Apple has never used that term on stage or during their conference calls with investors.

The analysts who coined the term have suggested it would happen in 2018 as a result of the 6.1" and 6.5" form factors.

Of course they haven’t. Nor have the used cycle for any new iPhone iteration. They just use the name. But we can cut fine lines in the iPhone line ups and generations in an Intel-like Tick-Tock cycle with every S and non-S iteration.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Standard size will be the iPhone XX or the X-squared
Plus size will be the iPhone XXX
The mini will be the iPhone SEx

I'm quite sure I'm wrong :rolleyes:

I actually could care less about the naming strategy for the iPhone, but I am curious to see what happens with the iPhone SE and if there will be a version two. And, if Apple releases version two of the SE, is it a staggered launch like it did originally in March 2016 or is it updated along side the iPhones in September? (Rhetorical) It's going to be an interesting year.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I actually could care less about the naming strategy for the iPhone, but I am curious to see what happens with the iPhone SE and if there will be a version two. And, if Apple releases version two of the SE, is it a staggered launch like it did originally in March 2016 or is it updated along side the iPhones in September? (Rhetorical) It's going to be an interesting year.

I'm curious about it as well. Rather than my tongue-in-cheek approach I'm betting the naming convention will take after the Apple Watch and just be iPhone X, iPhone X+, and iPhone X SE, but all will be sub-branded S2 for Series 2.

I thought the SE was a great idea, and I may find myself tempted to trade in my full size X for the new SE. Then again I doubt the SE will have dual cameras, which is the main reason I wanted the X... but I will be torn.

Reactions: 44267547

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Last year, it seemed that no matter what you thought the next iPhone was actually gonna be called (iPhone Pro, iPhone Air, iPhone 7s, iPhone X) – there seemed to be a general consensus around using the term "iPhone 8" when looking for info and rumors related to the upcoming phone.

But now that the naming convention has been thrown a bit on its head, what are people even using to google for this kind of thing? iPhone 9? iPhone X²? iPhone XS? iPhone 11? ....the 2018 iPhone? I know it's still early, but the more news starts to leak, the more demand there will be for finding info and the more need for having a single go-to search term.
Whatever Apple calls them.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
There will be three models:

XS
M
XL

There are strong rumors colors will have their names as well:

XX will replace silver
XY will replace space gray

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Rumor is they’re gonna adopt the hurricane and winter storm naming convention.

89964793-DD12-4E9E-81B6-80FC574518DC.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.