Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
Just some new thing to add to the digital hub would make me happy. I dont care if its and iBorg iPhone iPix iCam whatever.

nemo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2002
Boston
My guess is that we'll see a new 19" LCD and/or iCal and iSync. It's still too soon for laptop updates, I'm afraid, and there were some 19" LCD reports a while back. Maybe they're ready by now.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i'dd like to see prices on hardware (including lcd screens) to drop, ive been noticing that for the last 2-3 years, the powermac price has gone up bout $400 or so (CDN) in price for low end model

ThinkDifferent

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2002
Chattanooga
I would LOVE to see the iBook beefed up! I am waiting to purchase a new portable until I see what comes out at Paris and what debuts in January at Expo. I really wish they would give the iBook SUPER DRIVE so I can burn DVDs too.

Just Wishin'

Go Mac or Go Home

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
They would put a superdrive in the TiBook a long time before they put one in an iBook

petee

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2002
Asheboro, North Carolina
Can you imagine the amount of time it would take to go through and organize/edit that many pics. I don't think that is reasonable or useful. Now if it were a vid camera...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by tliptak
They would put a superdrive in the TiBook a long time before they put one in an iBook
Why does this have to be the case?

They put the combo drive in the iBook way before they put them in the TiBook. That being said, I kinda think they'll put SuperDrives in both the i and the Ti simultaneously (plus a G4 in the iBook).

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota

except they wouldnot put one in ANY portable...

first of all they have to make the drive small enough

second it can't get too hot

third it can't drain too much power

and fourth...they would have to make it slot-loading for the TI...and to make it slot and small enough is just not going to happen for a long time.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
iCal & iSync

I agree with nemo - isn't this expo around the time iCal and iSync were slated to be available? I think Steve will announce that they are available or at least announce the date, and then do the usual Jag spiel. I don't expect a new digihub device; it doesn't seem likely that Apple would annouce something like that overseas. I don't mean to slight the non-US expos, but it seems to me that Steve would want to make such an annoucement where lots of US press could easily attend.

But who knows....

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Originally posted by dongmin

do you even own a digital camera? Managing photos is NOT like managing mp3s. Even if you had firewire to download all these photos fast into your Mac, you still have to open them up and do some minimal level of processing on them. It would take days, weeks to go through that many images (5000 images = 156 rolls of film). It's just not practical on a daily basis.

I own a 4 mp camera with a 256mb flash card and I've yet to shoot the full capacity (about 120 picts at highest rez jpeg) on any one outing.

Now, if you're throwing VIDEO into the mix, it's a different story.

But what if this new Apple DC was a 5-6 mp camera, had the 5 gb storage and FW, and you use iPhoto? And the camera chunked up the mnay images into 'rolls' of like 30-50 images, then iPhoto could zip those in and they are already organized. Think if the camera allowed you to name the rolls at shooting? like' Rome 1' or 'Rollercoaster'.

Or better yet, rather than the 5 gb drive that would take up much space inthe body, and since the camera needs a little more space for the imaging electronics and optics than the iPod needs for sound [educated guessing], how about an internal 1 gb microdrive, like IBM has? 5 mp, 750-1000 pics, FW for speeedy downloads and iPhoto for organizing. Sounds great to me!!!!

:)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by primalman

But what if this new Apple DC was a 5-6 mp camera, had the 5 gb storage and FW, and you use iPhoto? And the camera chunked up the mnay images into 'rolls' of like 30-50 images, then iPhoto could zip those in and they are already organized. Think if the camera allowed you to name the rolls at shooting? like' Rome 1' or 'Rollercoaster'.

Or better yet, rather than the 5 gb drive that would take up much space inthe body, and since the camera needs a little more space for the imaging electronics and optics than the iPod needs for sound [educated guessing], how about an internal 1 gb microdrive, like IBM has? 5 mp, 750-1000 pics, FW for speeedy downloads and iPhoto for organizing. Sounds great to me!!!!

:)

If they'd ever do a digital camera, I would place bets on them teaming up with minolta. Anyone who reads minolta boards knows the DiMage X is now offered by Apple Japan in "snow" colors to match iMacs and iBooks.

http://store.apple.com/0120-APPLE-1/WebObjects/japanstore.woa/874/wo/8Sj3w0rz3zu2MRDhbu/3.3.0.3.34.8

gosh, that pic stinks... alldimage.com has images if you so care.

I highly doubt apple will go into the 5-6MP prosumer camera range, and i think they'd be foolish to try and compete with nikon or canon for high end digital cameras.... so I think maybe another iteration of this DiMage X with firewire, and an update to the iPod where you can browse files would be the way to go.

Plus, iPhoto is in need of an update. Try iMediaViewPro and see how iPhoto should function. Man, get over 300 pics at 5mp and watch iPhoto cripple even a dual gig machine.

Yuck.

So i think there's MAJOR work for Apple to do if they're gonna jump into the digicam realm, and quite frankly, I think the market is saturated. Same as PDAs and cell phones. There are SO MANY good options out there, whereas in the mp3 realm, there were so many crappy options-- until iPod.

Just my .02.... they'll maybe brand a DiMage as the "preferred" apple cam... or nothing at all.

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
Some are not expecting much, since the expo is not in the USA, but I think there's a good chance something significant will be announced. It is a way of showing that the whole world is significant to Apple, not just the country when headquarters is located.

Liamcow

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2002
Hyannis, MA
steve should do a switch ad in which he trys importing 300 pics into a PC version of iPhoto..."as you can see all we do is click import and, whoops! what's this blue screen doing here? I want my photos!!!"
"switch, it works":D

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
They need to release something just something. Mabye they they should make a 1 gig hard drive in there DC. Just and idea.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
Re: iCal & iSync

Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
I agree with nemo - isn't this expo around the time iCal and iSync were slated to be available? I think Steve will announce that they are available or at least announce the date, and then do the usual Jag spiel. I don't expect a new digihub device; it doesn't seem likely that Apple would annouce something like that overseas. I don't mean to slight the non-US expos, but it seems to me that Steve would want to make such an annoucement where lots of US press could easily attend.

But who knows....

He won't spend two hours talking about iCal and iSync and Jaguar i mean it came out already and theres no need to make a big deal about an update mabye 10.2.1. He has to anounce something new. They might have also updated the tiBook it hasn't been updated for a while. Some web sites say it will and some say it won't?

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
Re: Re: iCal & iSync

He won't spend two hours talking about iCal and iSync and Jaguar i mean it came out already ... He has to anounce something new. ...

I wonder whether Steve Jobs usually does the keynote outside the US Macworld shows? If not, than it is significant that he is doing it in Paris. This would suggest an annoncement of something new. Someone else pointed out that there is a US conference with Apple keynote 10 hours after Steves. This is also interesting. Maybe something big, with followup 10 hours later? What might be big and have an impact on the second conference?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Nipsy

Yeah, Firewire is also overkill on an MP3 player, because nobody would ever need more that 100 songs in their pocket....

Now, if you chaps will excuse me, I have to change songs on my iPod...

i agree

firewire on a digital camera would be big... my dad's minolta (5 mp) has pictures that are about 15-20 megs.

transferring that via usb is ass.. of course, that's the higher level cam, but still... i don't expect apple to make this camera, but in general, i'd like to see a digital cam with firewire

and a bigger capacity. 5 gb is a bit much perhaps... but if it also can operate as an external drive, no problems with me having some extra space

flanders

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
i'm kinda 50/50 on whether he's going to announce something big at the show in Paris. He's given the keynote there before, and I'm fairly certain that some new hardware has been unveiled there in the past (please correct if I'm wrong)...

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
Originally posted by snoopy

I disagree. 5000 photos would be really nice. It could take care of your whole vacation. You may take many more photos too, without running out of space. Delete 90 percent of them when you get back home.

Yup 5 gigs on a camera would be great - no problems with taking as many high res pictures as you like. With easy usage as the ipod. Would be great and I would buy it - no doubt!

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
Jeez you must like powerbooks. I want some new digital hub thing anything

loveshismac

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2001
Dallas
I have to disagree about the need for a still camera with a hard drive.
i hate shooting compressed images. Tiffs all the way.
I love the idea of a hard drive but it would spin in my hand whiling im trying to stay still!

Besides use actions to process all those images in photoshop
and with iphoto mangaing images is easy!

You all need to shoot more pictures

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.