Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

checkflag

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Ok, its the 26th of march. there has hardly been a mumble in a while about new mac pros and new displays. This is driving me a little crazy. Any one else?

Is there any speculation, predictions based on something substantial regarding the release of these products?

Personally, I kinda need a release within the next 5 weeks. I don't know if that will happen, but it would great if it did.

Discuss.

checkflag

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Here and here are a couple of ongoing threads with new Mac Pro speculation that you might have missed.

Those are interesting, but they started a long while ago. I started this thread for a fresh start being 2 days after march 24th, when I and many thought leopard would be released. With NAB coming up, i wanted to get a fresh idea what everyone opinions were SPECIFICALLY on octo-core's and new ACD's.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
NAB should see the release of the 8-core Mac Pro. Just hold on a few more weeks and you'll be fine.

Last year we saw the release of the 17 inch MacBook Pro, I'm sure we will see yet another product upgrade this year at NAB.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Octo-core is over-rated. The clock speeds per CPU are lower than the quad cores. Depending on what you do there is a good chance that they won't be faster than what is currently available. I'm guessing NAB doesn't result in much new hardware. Sales are probably still pretty brisk. It'll likely be June before the big stuff comes out...

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Octo-core is over-rated. The clock speeds per CPU are lower than the quad cores.

only if you look at the same prices... it apperas that Intel is also going to be releasing a 3GHz clovertown chip, so we could have 8 cores of every version.

checkflag

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Is there any speculation as to what the clock-speeds are going to be with the woodcrest 4-cores?

also..... From looprumors.com

MacsimumNews publishes an email sent out by Apple to those attending NAB. The email begins with: "Meet the new Macs. Bring a friend!" The email continues, "See the new line-up of Intel based Macs and the incredible suite of software that comes bundled with every Mac. Find out which of the new Macs is right for you. And, feel free to bring along and introduce a friend!"

This email may simply refer to existing Macs that are on the market today, or hint earlier rumors. LoopRumors told you first that Apple was planning to introduce new Mac Pros, possibly alongside new Displays with built-in iSight at the National Association of Broadcasters.

Additional information suggested that the new Mac Pros will have an option for High-Definition Blu-ray DVDs.

Other reliable information suggests that Apple will update its Final Cut Pro software at the show in Las Vegas.

NAB runs from April 14-19, 2007. At last year's show, Apple unveiled the 17" MacBook Pro.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Woodcrest 4-cores? Woodcrest is the current dual core server/workstation chip in the Mac Pro.

Clovertown is its direct 4-core scaling. Each mac pro uses 2 processor chips, so that means 2 Woodcrests is quad-core, 2 Clovertowns is 8 core.

The clock speeds on Clovertown have been posted for some time now. Currently, there are versions at 2.66, 2.33, 2.0GHz and slower per core, and they have recently added a 3.0GHz version. They have recently seen a price drop, so the 2.66GHz quad-core chips are now cheaper than the 3.0GHz Woodcrests were at launch. the 3.0GHz Clovertown is still about $300 more expensive per chip than its corresponding Woodcrest was at launch ($1172 versus $851 per chip in 1,000 unit quantities)

Personally, I'm waiting until Penryn-based Mac Pros (higher clock speeds, larger cache, and 45nm) or maybe Nehalem early next year, but Clovertown, assuming it isn't passed over in favor of Penryn-based 45nm parts later this year, will be an incredibly powerful chip, although it will probably be more expensive for the same clock speed, so unless your applications are threaded for 8 cores or you really multitask that much, the improvement versus the current Mac Pros might need to lie elsewhere.

checkflag

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
LOL.. thanks for correcting me. I got them confused, but thats what I meant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.