Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porthole0676

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
So this is the press release from Apple and they also mentioned in the keynote about this

IMG_3008.jpeg

But has this privacy option not existed since ios16 and there it’s called “selected photos”? If yes, then what exactly is new with this feature?

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This part:

the user will be shown more information about what they'll be sharing, along with occasional
reminders of their choice.

it only adds more transparency to what it actually means when enabled

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
They should just get rid of the selected access and do a „no access picker“, where the OS opens up a photo picker and only the photos you select get pushed to the App.

The selected access variant has never been properly implemented by any App I tried (you can tweak access when you add a photo but then it closes and you have to reopen the photo picker again to actually pick the photos you just added), very frustrating…

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’d like to see a read-only option to prevent an app from accidentally deleting any of my photos.

This is especially true for backup apps like Amazon or OneDrive. You have to give them full access, but I often fear an errant click on the website or app could delete from my Photos app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.