Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Not exactly sure what i could delete (not on iOS 10) but if I could, it would be the following:

Tips, Podcasts, Stocks, Watch and Wallet
You can't delete Wallet
[doublepost=1465916840][/doublepost]
None because I'm still pissed that Apple even gave in to such a ridiculous request.

Can't wait for: HOW DO I GET THEM BACK?????

There are some apps like the Tips app that are just not necessary for some people. So I applaud them.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
You can't delete Wallet

damn :/
[doublepost=1465916936][/doublepost]
None because I'm still pissed that Apple even gave in to such a ridiculous request.

Oh please.. people are going to have more issues with the fact they removed slide to unlock than this.

Why should I need the watch app on my phone? I NEVER use it and never plan to get a watch.

Last edited:

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
iOS treats FaceTime like a phone call.

Just like Contacts, all the functionality of FaceTime is in the dialer, it just has a seperste app to access THAT specific function.
So what you're saying is you can still make facetime video calls with just the phone app?

CDutch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
If you delete Mail and use a third-party email app in its place, does it become the defacto default email client?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I read somewhere that if you delete the Contacts app you have to re-add all of them again?

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Alright so I have this situation here, and I want to know what you think. I was on this business trip 2013. Had to fly to china, and connected via Dubai.
I made the mistake of buying an iPhone 5s in Airport shopping, and later realized middle east iPhones don't allow FaceTime, and the app disappears completely when I use my T-mobile SIM.
Do you think that will change with iOS 10? It worries me that FaceTime functionality appears to be baked right in, like you're telling me. :|

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Given that someone said that this just 'hides' them (ie, they're not really off the phone, just removed from screen), I'm not really worried about it tbh. Sticking them in a folder accomplishes the same thing without me needing to go to the App Store to find them again.

TrowaNY

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Phone: I'm on a data-only plan, use Google Hangouts instead
App Store: haven't bought anything in years
Settings: almost never change any settings, leave them on default
Home: don't have a smart home
iTunes Store: haven't bought music in years
Contacts: it's in the Phone app
Videos: I have YouTube app for that
Watch: sold mine long time ago and haven't looked back until watchOS 3
Stocks: yeah, everybody's favorite app
Tips: no comment
Find My Friends: I don't need to find them, they're in my face 24/7 on Facebook and Snapchat

So how are you going to update your apps?
[doublepost=1465926383][/doublepost]

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Well, I have "automatic updates" turned on. So, I don't really need to go into App Store to update them, they'll just update by themselves. Seems logical to me.

Since they're just hidden I have a feeling we're not going to get individual app updates. It'll stay as overall OS updates.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
None of the apps are removable. Apple only made it look like they are, but they are not. All that happens is the icons gets removed from the grid.

zonazolazia

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2016
None. I have plenty of free space and the apps don't do anything in the background unlike android.

mountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I will prob delete everything except for email, camera, etc... delete all the junk.

Just a quick question then I'll post what I plan to delete, can and if so how do you restore the stock apps without restoring the device?

iTunes Store -> Apple Music
Videos -> I have an iPad for that
Contacts -> Phone
Voice Memos -> Notes
Podcasts -> Youtube
FaceTime -> big fat NOPE!
Tips -> unless it starts giving me tips I can report on my taxes.
Home -> because I live in a dumb home like the other 99%.

I do use the compass as a level for home improvement although I had to use it again after I upgraded from my 5s because everything was at a 2 degree slant.
I use stocks to keep an eye on my investments, it's a nice 30,000 foot overview of my portfolio.
Find iPhone comes in handy when you are married. Find Friends might go, undecided because there are occasions where I use it to meet up with people.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
i dont care if they are not deleted, as long as i dont see them! most of my "useless" folder is empty

so far, ive deleted

stocks
tips
find my friends
podcasts

most likely will delete facetime and contacts, just have to read more and see if this will cause any issues

TrowaNY

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Well, I have "automatic updates" turned on. So, I don't really need to go into App Store to update them, they'll just update by themselves. Seems logical to me.

Let us know if they update. That's an app store option, so if it updates without it that is cool.

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
As of now, deleting them just seems to hide the apps for now. But messages warning of broken functionally warn that they will be fully removed or at least fully disabled in future updates. Also, this is Apple and what we're allowed to remove now vs what we'll be allowed tor remove at release will change.

I have to believe default application choices are coming with the full release of iOS 10 because of the nature of some of these removal dialogues and the apps they all you to delete. It will likely be tied into Siri, ask Siri to email someone but you don't have the Mail application installed, it will ask you to choose from the Mail apps with Siri SDK support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.