Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your local Apple Store. Friday 16th. Bright and Early. RSVP?

• Total voters

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
I had my eye on an iPhone 14 pro max, undecided on colour, and Apple support tells me once you get a delivery estimate, the date is final... no idea how true that is but I'm feeling brave enough to try instore.

What I wanna know is who here is going to venture out and try their luck on launch day..? What time are you gonna turn up? Do y'reckon the store will be jam packed? Will they have a good amount of units? Is it worth trying the smaller, local branches or the flagship city branches? This is my first rodeo so feel free to chime in if this is absurd.

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I would assume the availability would be the same as the “pick up” option on Apple’s website. Maybe I’m wrong but that should give you a good idea of what they’ll have.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
To each their own but I would avoid the store on introduction day. It is crowned on a regular day and will be crazy when the 14 goes on sale.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
I would assume the availability would be the same as the “pick up” option on Apple’s website. Maybe I’m wrong but that should give you a good idea of what they’ll have.

I assumed the pick ups were shipped in? And I keep hearing that stores have a select amount of units reserved for walk ins.

Another thing I've observed is that many buyers ended up making duplicate orders due to glitches. If that's the case then surely we can expect cancellations on pick ups..?

I hold out hope!

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
In recent years, Apple stores had stock in addition to the pre-orders. I’ve been able to order and pick up phones on release weekend that I had not preordered.

Reactions: thestugots

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I assumed the pick ups were shipped in? And I keep hearing that stores have a select amount of units reserved for walk ins.

Another thing I've observed is that many buyers ended up making duplicate orders due to glitches. If that's the case then surely we can expect cancellations on pick ups..?

I hold out hope!
Apple store do typically set aside walk ins inventory separate from what would appear for available for pick up online.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
If I didn’t get a pre-order in time I would. I got my iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB in Gold launch weekend by randomly walking in and asking and walking out with the phone lol.

I have a 14 pro max on pre-order for in-store pick up in the early afternoon Friday. My advice is to stalk apple‘s website launch weekend early in the morning and in the afternoon. Some stock may pop up and you can reserve it before going to the store.

Reactions: DJ2K3000

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
If I didn’t get a pre-order in time I would. I got my iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB in Gold launch weekend by randomly walking in and asking and walking out with the phone lol.

I have a 14 pro max on pre-order for in-store pick up in the early afternoon Friday. My advice is to stalk apple‘s website launch weekend early in the morning and in the afternoon. Some stock may pop up and you can reserve it before going to the store.

Appreciate the advice, will do!

DJ2K3000

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015

That is my plan. I'm hoping to trade in my 512gb 12 Pro Max for a 1TB 14 Pro Max in Purple. I will try to order it in the morning and hopefully pick it up that evening after work or Saturday. One thing I noted that seemed kind of strange to me was when attempting to pre-order earlier today (Saturday, the 11th), I noticed that my local store listed a 14 Pro (Purple) as being in stock for pick up next Friday Sept. 16th, but NOT the Pro Max. This makes me wonder if each store already know how many units they will receive on Launch day, or perhaps already have launch day stock prepared. Either way, I hope to be able to pick up one next Friday. Perhaps someone will cancel and I'll snag one that way.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
I am waiting until October or November to see what you all think before taking the plunge. ;)
I totally understand why, that's what I've done for years. I would do the same if I had a phone to fall back on, currently I don't!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.