Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
just wondering to those of you who own a MBP laptop if you play any games on your machine(s)? if so, what game(s) do you play and how well (or how bad) does it play them?

GoxKok

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2007
MBP SR 2.4 ghz

I play Halo1 and Halo2, they both run well (acutally, Halo2 runs a bit choppily, but it was ment for DX 10 and Im running XP so what can you do)

Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Source both run like heaven! :D

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
just wondering to those of you who own a MBP laptop if you play any games on your machine(s)? if so, what game(s) do you play and how well (or how bad) does it play them?

Half-Life 2: Average FPS: Around 50-60 MAX RES possible.
Half-Life 2: Ep.1: High 50s
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast: Varies, but mostly above 40.

Oblivion: Varies with setting Obviously; running at 1280x720 with medium details, it averages 30fps. BUT Oblivion is highly unoptimized (look maw, i invented a new word).

Bioshock: Most Details on High, 20 something FPS, 30 sometimes, but never below 20.

Those are the latest ones I've Played. Now, I ran them under Vista, and it should be noted that XP performance should be a bit higher.

In My opinion, the MBP is ok for newer game, and outstanding for well developed games (HL: Ep 1 is a good example of that...). I dont think it would have any problems running newer games, as long as developers aren't sloppy and/or lazy.

mrchainsaw5757

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I have a 2.2Ghz MBP and i play a few games on it. Oblivion runs awesome, graphics still look good, but performance is still good. I play WoW on it too, and that runs perfect as well. Civilization IV also runs very well.

roker

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
New Zealand
I've played Sims 2 a bit on my MBP, but at full gfx settings & all other apps closed it still runs a bit choppy :mad: :rolleyes: . Otherwise it runs nicely, as you would expect.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
oh i am so glad to hear all of this. i really want to be able to play games on the macbook pro whenever i order it. i have a vista business cd key and i recently found out, i think on engadget, that micro$oft will trade it for an xp cd key. sweet...boot camp here i come!!

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I game on XP via BootCamp and it works very well. I get solid FPS with many of the latest games (BioShock 40+, TeamFortress2 50+) with all the goodies turned on running at the native resolution (1440x900) on the 2.4 GHz model.

WoW is playable on OSX, but the latest update (1.1) of the MBP system software made the play really jerky with a short stutter in frame rate every half second. Very annoying. I don't play WoW (only did the trial for $2) but it was pretty when it ran well.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
On my mbp (see sig) I have played/play (in osx) WOW (runs better in windowed mode if you can believe it), Rise of Nations Gold, Empire Earth 2 (Cider port, gotta love these new technologies), xplane. Via windows I have tried to get star trek armada 1 and 2 working, they are too old to like the video card though:( (won't even run proper through parallels).
Other than with the games under windows they all work well at high settings

Zawamura

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Sweden
MPB 2,16GHz core2duo, 2gb ram.

Play World of warcraft almost every day. Also play command and conquer 3 and Going to play hl2 ep2, TS2 and portals when it releases.

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
C&C3... most of the settings on medium. Dont know the exact frame rates, but it runs very smooth, only a little lag when a LOT happens at once (ie NOD nuke)

2.33GHz C2D MBP
2GB RAM
256MB vid RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.