Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Very disappointed in my ATV. Some of you may know that this was my most anticipated device and I LOVED the fact that Apple was upgrading all my movies for free. I kept wondering what the catch was going to be. Now I know. Who at Apple thought it would be a good thing to release a Streaming device that doesn't automatically select resolution?

I love DV, but applying DV and HDR to sources that's not coded for it makes it look like crap. Unlike other 4k/HDR Streaming services (Vudu, Netflix, etc.), the quality of the 4K streams on iTunes are TERRIBLE. I don't need to see Hogan's Heroes and Gilligan's Island in DV. One of the reasons I went with Vudu over iTunes for my digital copy redemption is because I always thought Vudu was better.

Yes, I am someone who can see and appreciate the difference between 4K and HD. I wouldn't have an LG C7 and have bought this if I couldn't.

I Don't even think it's really streaming in 4K. It's just applying the DV tag to EVERYTHING to muddle the water. If I wanted to be conspiracy nut, I'd say maybe that's why they did this, because they aren't really streaming in 4k.

Netflix app doesn't even stream HDR (again, I'm assuming it'll get fixed), yet it applies the DV Tag, even though I know Netflix DOES Stream DV/HDR on the programs I looked at. It's confusing and I'm not a videophile. I would feel better if I knew exactly what the DV/HDR tag is doing. Is it like Sony's extreme processor where they really are applying metadata from the content to simulate DV/HDR or is it just applying artificial settings on top of the content?

Regardless the quality of the 4k/DV streams are "bad." When I say "bad," I just mean it looks like the regular 1080p to me. Again, I can tell the difference, so I don't want to see a million posts from idiots trying to argue that I can't. It's Apple, they'll never admit they made a bad decision or there's any issue until they quietly release an update that may fix this - in 6 MONTHS. So I may return it until it gets fixed and they improve their stream quality.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
So what are you going to use alternatively?

Although I do have 2 other ATVs, this is exactly why, I'll most likely keep it. Because I do want the 4K capability (even though it seems "fake" to me) and it's "only $200", I'm just really disappointed in Apple. I hate Android TV and my cable provider doesn't support it (I do have an Nvida Shield that I never use) and not a fan of Roku.

Oledlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Hi I’m wondering how many people have had their Tv ISF calibrated for HDR or Dolby Vision? I’ve an LG55B6T and a 55C6T. I plugged the AT4K into a spare HDMI port, went through the set up process and used the recommended 4KHDR @ 60 Hz. I must admit I’m surprised at the lack of pass through but now, after 3 days, I quite like it. I think the 1080 content is much improved and even the abc iview SD content looks better. I wonder if a properly calibrated set, would eliminate some of the issues people are having ?

Last edited:

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Hi I’m wondering how many people have had their Tv ISF calibrated for HDR or Dolby Vision? I’ve an LG55B6T and a 55C6T. I plugged the AT4K into a spare HDMI port, went through the set up process and used the recommended 4KHDR @ 60 Hz. I must admit I’m surprised at the lack of pass through but now, after 3 days, I quite like it. I think the 1080 content is much improved and even the abc iview SD content looks better. I wonder if a properly calibrated set, would eliminate some of the issues people are having ?

According to all the reviews my C7 Cinema Mode and EXP modes, supposedly, is a very close match to what "calibration" accomplishes out of the box. I've also used calibration disks in the past and honestly I think most "calibration," makes the picture look look dark and washed out. I also wouldn't pay $200 to have my TV "professionally calibrated," I think it's mostly a scam. But that's just me.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Im not returning mine but like you im very disappointed that the atv 4k won’t change resolution automatically. For now i will use the built in Netflix, Youtube, and amazon prime apps on my Lg B6 oled, and will only use atv 4k to stream iTunes movies in 4k until they fix this big whole mess. And will have to remember to put the right resolution manually every time i wanna stream a movie, in HDR10 or DV.

Oledlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Have you attended an ISF training course ? There are actual industry standards, but I agree if you can’t see the difference, I guess it’s not worth the money.

High end sets are generally much better out of the Box these days but as most HDR & Dolby Vision enabled sets can’t actually do rec 2020, I think it’s where a good calibration, makes a difference.

Reactions: Cigsm

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I cancelled my preorder based on the review of the verve and early indications.

I’ll happily go back and order one again once these issues are sorted.

In the mean time I can’t see any benefit compared to the build in apps where I actually have Netflix and Amazon Prime working properly. I also stick with my Oppo for UHD discs. And I stick with my Xbox for games.

One the refresh rates are actually sorted and the HDR switching is sorted I’ll happily part with my money.

Heck you can’t even cast 4K from my iPhone. I may as well continue with my existing Apple TV.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Thinking of returning mine too. While it’s easy enough to navigate and switch up the video settings it’s certainly not the user experience I’ve come to expect from Apple and not worth the £199 outlay when I already have a Apple TV 4 and 4K tv that has all the streaming apps built in anyway. If they fix this down the road I’ll gladly jump back onboard

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Have you attended an ISF training course ? There are actual industry standards, but I agree if you can’t see the difference, I guess it’s not worth the money.

High end sets are generally much better out of the Box these days but as most HDR & Dolby Vision enabled sets can’t actually do rec 2020, I think it’s where a good calibration, makes a difference.

No. Why would I attend a training course? I bought a tv to watch and enjoy it, not learn about calibration. I know what my eyeballs like and from what I understand there aren't calibration "standards" for HDR yet.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I was looking forward to getting one either this week or very soon, depending on reviews and feedback. Now I'm holding off.

I've just got a new 4k TV and have calibrated it myself (though I don't have the test signals to calibrate for HDR at this time). I currently don't want to "upgrade" my current ATV4 at risk of making SDR content look any worse after I've spent time balancing out my settings.

Maybe I will buy one to test it out and see, but currently I don't feel like going through a test period with it and having to return it. It's not worth the potential upgrade in their 4K HDR titles if most all else of what I watch might be ticked down a notch -- or if I'd have to go through and change Apple's output settings before I watch each thing. I hope that some software upgrades come in sooner than never.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Yep, mine is ready to be sent off tomorrow.

My main problem is my 10-12Mb internet forbids iTunes 4K streaming (have no prob on my tv with Netflix or Amazon).

That and having to change output depending on source was enough for me to stick with UHD blu ray for my film purchases for now.

If both of those issues are corrected I'll try again.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Sorry, but this has really nothing to do with calibrating the TV. Usually people who invests time to calibrate the TV are doing it, because they want the best natural picture, and not a Apple Box that forces a SDR to HDR upscaling, without taking care of the pure, native look of the video.

And, I hope Apple will add a automatic framerate switching. I will keep the ATV 4K.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Really thinking about sending it back and just keep using my shield .. the switching and also no atmos .. will re-evaluate again when they correct all this

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I’ll buy one when they add an option to turn off synthetic HDR, an option turn off the built-in upscaler, and an option to enable automatic frame rate switching. Those options must persist across sleep/reboot. In the mean time, so long as they prioritize “elegance” over content quality I’ll keep my ATV4.

Last edited:

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
Im very happy with the Apple TV, I just cancelled my cable because of the Apple TV. I love the software and how easy it works and organized it is. I love that I only need an Apple TV and I can get rid of the cable box and blu ray player. Apple will fix the the issue as its an easy software update, personally I'd rather have my TV handle the up converting, Im sure Apple will offer a pass through option as this is the best way to do it.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Sounds like it's not quite ready for prime time. Software updates can fix these warts though, eh? Nothing wrong with the hardware?

We watch 90% of our netflix on our vizio at 4k already because I have it connected to a vpn in Japan so we can get Japanese subtitles (and original Japanese content, as well as immediate release of many shows that American netflix has to wait a year for)... But it would be nice to get hbo go in 4k (as well as movie rentals).

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
Sounds like it's not quite ready for prime time. Software updates can fix these warts though, eh? Nothing wrong with the hardware?

We watch 90% of our netflix on our vizio at 4k already because I have it connected to a vpn in Japan so we can get Japanese subtitles (and original Japanese content, as well as immediate release of many shows that American netflix has to wait a year for)... But it would be nice to get hbo go in 4k (as well as movie rentals).

Im not noticing much issues at all and I'm really happy with the AppleTV, the remote is great, it turns on/off my TV and AVR as controls the volume, so its my only remote, before I had my Harmony elite and my cable box remote as I didn't like using the Harmony for channel switching. Now that Im only on the Apple TV its cleaned up my entertainment stand and table with one sleek remote. Video quality has been great. If you want one, I would get it.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Im not noticing much issues at all and I'm really happy with the AppleTV, the remote is great, it turns on/off my TV and AVR as controls the volume, so its my only remote, before I had my Harmony elite and my cable box remote as I didn't like using the Harmony for channel switching. Now that Im only on the Apple TV its cleaned up my entertainment stand and table with one sleek remote. Video quality has been great. If you want one, I would get it.

Ya we have a couple gen4 atvs already. Generally happy with the platform - was asking specifically about the 4k issues. We have to keep our Harmony remote due to the complexity of our environment (multiple devices on two different networks - one for USA content and one for Japanese content) so that isn’t a consideration.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere

I highly doubt we will see a 4K hbogo since only West world will be released in 4K on Blu-ray

PabloSRT8

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2016
Well, Apple did it to music, so Apple will do it to video...
I guess compress stuff will never be able to compete with lossless.
My 4K blu-rays just look so much better than iTunes 4K...
I picked one up at the store and have one coming on the mail.
I decided to return the one coming because I don’t think is worth it.
Looks better than 1080p? Yes.
Does it look like BR4k? Not even close.
And I don’t know if there is anything wrong with mine, but the picture does look a little soft/out of focus like.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017

I love the hardware and do think it's a lot faster and seems more stable than my AT4. Movies and things start right away, as opposed to the delay and crashes I got on my ATV4
[doublepost=1506302356][/doublepost]
Well, Apple did it to music, so Apple will do it to video...
I guess compress stuff will never be able to compete with lossless.
My 4K blu-rays just look so much better than iTunes 4K...
I picked one up at the store and have one coming on the mail.
I decided to return the one coming because I don’t think is worth it.
Looks better than 1080p? Yes.
Does it look like BR4k? Not even close.
And I don’t know if there is anything wrong with mine, but the picture does look a little soft/out of focus like.

Agree. The picture looks weirdly soft and out of focus. Which is why I say it doesn't look like 4K at all too me. More like 900P or substandard HD. Especially compared to other Streaming services.
[doublepost=1506302548][/doublepost]
I highly doubt we will see a 4K hbogo since only West world will be released in 4K on Blu-ray

I think next year we'll start getting some services like HBO Go testing out 4K on their apps before they start it on TV. Like you said Westworld is coming in 4k. If they do it, they'll probably do it on ATV first.Starz has a 4K sampler on the buggy Xfinity App. I really hope the Xfinity App from the Roku box comes - I almost kept it just for that :) 4K Boxes for Xfinity is coming - was supposed to be here this yr. But probably next fall.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I love the hardware and do think it's a lot faster and seems more stable than my AT4. Movies and things start right away, as opposed to the delay and crashes I got on my ATV4
[doublepost=1506302356][/doublepost]

Agree. The picture looks weirdly soft and out of focus. Which is why I say it doesn't look like 4K at all too me. More like 900P or substandard HD. Especially compared to other Streaming services.
[doublepost=1506302548][/doublepost]

I think next year we'll start getting some services like HBO Go testing out 4K on their apps before they start it on TV. Like you said Westworld is coming in 4k. If they do it, they'll probably do it on ATV first.Starz has a 4K sampler on the buggy Xfinity App. I really hope the Xfinity App from the Roku box comes - I almost kept it just for that :) 4K Boxes for Xfinity is coming - was supposed to be here this yr. But probably next fall.
Xfinity was suppose to have 4K boxes back in 2016. I ain’t holding my breath for anything they do, since they can’t seem to do anything on time.

Reactions: mmm1345

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Why would XFINITY bother with 4k boxes when they downconvert 1080i cable channels to 720p? Comcast video quality is deliberately awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.