Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I think if DC could have stayed in the game, it just might have been a contender (if they could have done something about the rampant piracy).

I don't think piracy had anything to do with it. Besides that, the last [few]revisions to the Dreamcast hardware wouldn't play copied/homebrew games because they fixed the loophole to boot them.

Sega cut the cord too damn quick, that's what happened.
Yeah, they were in the red....but you don't behead your last gasp effort at a video game system. Hell, [small] publishers are still releasing new Dreamcast games in Japan.

Sega made the same mistakes with the Dreamcast that they did with the Saturn; they never brought out half of the Japanese imports that would've sold here in the US. It also would've helped if they had incorporated DVD playback into the thing considering it used a DVD rom compatible drive (even though the game discs were GD-ROMs).

Oy I miss my [region] modded Saturn + Dreamcast systems and all my import 2d fighting games and shooters. :(

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Most games(produced/sold)
Most consoles(produced/sold)
Creative/Innovative Gameplay(Eyetoy, DDR, etc)

They get some negative points for their hardware blunders early on, but their longevity and commitment to support the PS2, still today(an into the future a bit), has put them in the number one spot. I had trouble getting into the GC last gen, but I think Ninty fixed that for me this time around(can't wait to buy another Wii); MS had a late start, but also finished strong as LIVE gained momentum......however, it wasn't enough to win them the "overall" title last-gen - and even though it may not win this gen either, they(Microsoft) are biting at the heels of the other two now(barring any disasters)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Controller wise?

PS2------------->GC-------------------------------------------------->xbox

GC was a tight little system but it was boring as hell where as the xbox had live with a bunch of FPS and the PS2 had everything plus ICO.

One thing I must give to the xbox controller was the way they put the left stick where the dpad use to be...genius...white/black button...useless.

CG dpad/cstick was crap and a little to small for me and I wasn't a fan of the z button.

PS2 sticks were too close to each other after I got my hands on the xbox design and the dpad was kinda weird.

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wasn't a fan of the z button.

I'm still trying to understand this, it's not just you 2ny, but the 360 controller is heralded as one of the best controllers going. Yet it makes use of two GC style Z buttons...

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm not a big fan of the bumper buttons on the 360 either but its there so I have no choice.

I find the z button on the GC controller to be much smaller than the 360 bumper button plus the 360 bumper buttons are pushed out more....makes it easier for me to find them(no matter how long I had the system I'll never remember letter/symbol without having to look at the controller the first play through...I've been doing it since atari dys)

Bless

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a bit of a pain that the 360 and Xbox controllers flip the previous standard layout. As someone who's grown up on Nintendo and Amiga, it throws me off even to this day ("push A!" "WRONG you pushed B"

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I love the 360 controller; I haven't had any moments that I wished to have an alternate controller (except the times I've played Hyper Fighting on Live and wished I had hacked a 360 pad already to use with my 2 joysticks, Suitcase and [Suitcase] 2.0). One of these days I'll do that and post some pictures up for you all to see. ;)

I do love the Wii scheme for RE4, and I loved using the Gamecube controller for RE4 a few years back as well. I remember when the Gamecube came out (or near the launch) and someone at Nintendo (I think it was Iwata?) said he wanted them to create a controller design with which you didn't feel like you were actually holding a controller...and I've gotta say, I agree with that. Gamecube controller IMO felt very natural and comfortable in your hands.

Dual Shock's always been a good controller for games too, no complaints there. I will say that I could not deal with FPS on the Dual Shock, but they're second nature on the Xbox/360 pads to me - maybe because the analog sticks are not side by side? I dunno. :eek:

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
It's a bit of a pain that the 360 and Xbox controllers flip the previous standard layout. As someone who's grown up on Nintendo and Amiga, it throws me off even to this day ("push A!" "WRONG you pushed B"

I agree I couldn't get used to A and B being switched.

As for winner of 6th gen, I vote PS2. Great games, a huge catalog, controller, slim PS2, continuing support, and monstrous install base make it my favorite.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I'm still trying to understand this, it's not just you 2ny, but the 360 controller is heralded as one of the best controllers going. Yet it makes use of two GC style Z buttons...

From my experience, the L and R bumper buttons on the 360 controller feel better to push than the Z button on the GameCube.

Still I do like the GameCube controller because of how the handles feel in my hands. Very comfortable.

However, due to that not so great Z button, I think the PS2 edges it out as the better controller for me.

In my opinion, the Xbox controller was the worst, especially the original huge ones! The white and black buttons were bad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.