Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
I'm curious what can be added onto the new Mac Pro since RAM expansions are gone. We already know about the new SSD modules but what else is there that could be added?

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
I'm curious what can be added onto the new Mac Pro since RAM expansions are gone. We already know about the new SSD modules but what else is there that could be added?

4 x NVMe PCI-E cards such as the HighPoints, et al for expanded storage. Audio and/or video capture cards (eg: the BlackMagic 4xHDMI card I have in my '19). Just a couple of examples.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
4 x NVMe PCI-E cards such as the HighPoints, et al for expanded storage. Audio and/or video capture cards (eg: the BlackMagic 4xHDMI card I have in my '19). Just a couple of examples.

I see.

You think RAM modules could be added in the future? Because 196 gb max is pretty low than what was possible before

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
DeckLink cards, ProTools HDX cards, and RAID arrays are the main things.

Oh right I saw those things they're used with the Rack mount variant for recording studios.

Aside from the RAID arrays, all those cards are audio related. Is that it?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Also:
SFP28 / SFP+ network cages
SAN / RAID
U.2 / M.2 NVMe
some legacy or generic cards that just add a few ports, or antennas

The issue like said is with macOS drivers, particularly they need to survive Rosetta2 translation / being 64-bit, or straight needs to be re-written for Apple Silicon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.